The Student Room Group

Studying languages at university

I currently study Spanish at AS and want to do a languages degree - I have been looking at courses involving three languages as I want to learn as many as possible but do you think studying 3 will hinder my ability to learn them to a perfect level? Would it be safer to apply for just two languages and master them than take 3? I plan on studying Spanish and German, with also French where I can study 3. I want to apply for Cambridge, Birmingham, Warwick, Sheffield and an unknown third uni
Original post by oliviaganderton
I currently study Spanish at AS and want to do a languages degree - I have been looking at courses involving three languages as I want to learn as many as possible but do you think studying 3 will hinder my ability to learn them to a perfect level? Would it be safer to apply for just two languages and master them than take 3? I plan on studying Spanish and German, with also French where I can study 3. I want to apply for Cambridge, Birmingham, Warwick, Sheffield and an unknown third uni

You certainly won't attain a 'perfect' (fluent?) level in all three languages, especially if two of them are ab initio. Most universities don't offer three language degrees for precisely that reason, so if you want my advice, stick with two languages.
Thank you very much!
Original post by oliviaganderton

I would also advise picking just two for your actual degree, however bear in mind you can always pick up French as an evening class (most universities offer this) or perhaps the odd module in it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending