The Student Room Group

Feb 8th: What’s the most romantic thing anyone’s ever done for you?

On this week’s Surgery Gemma and Dr Radha are getting ready to solve all your romantic problems. Whether you want to tell someone you like them, or you’re wondering how to impress someone if you’re broke, we’re here to help.

Is romance dead? What’s the best way to romance someone? Can you ever have too much romance?

Share your stories below, and tune in to Radio 1 on Wednesday 8th March for more support and advice.

Please note: you can post on this forum anonymously.
Somebody gave me their last chicken nugget once, gushing :colondollar:
Reply 2
I was feeling really down one day and my bf ordered us a munchy box from the takeaway (pizza box full of donner meat, pakora, onion rings, chips etc) and ran me a bath while we were waiting for it. While I was in the bath I heard him moving things and the odd bang here and there so I thought he was just randomly tidying up or playing with the cats but when I came out my bath, the takeaway was there and I went through the living room and he made up a make shift candlelight table out of an old box with a plastic board on top and my favourite Yankee Candle in the middle and he had two bean bags for seats and had my fave TV show on in the background. I really liked that :h:

It made up for an unromantic asking out and proposal.

Asking me out - "my dad thinks we're going out. I wouldn't mind going out with you, want to?"

Proposal (not even down on one knee :laugh: ) - "we've been going out and living together for years and you know I love you, want to get married now?"

:laugh:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Whilst my love life is worthy of a TV show, I love my sister and her boyfriend's relationship. They met at a school rugby match, started dating a few months later and they're still together 7 years on. My sister had depression during university because she does terribly with heavy workloads and he would buy her cupcakes and he would often borrow his mate's dog to cheer her up when they went out for walks. Because he did all that, my sister's depression went away completely after her third year.

Spoiler

Every month without fail my girlfriend sends me like a six paragraphed message on everything she loves about me. Each one has been different and she sends it every month without fail!
Reply 5
I love collecting coins and every now and then my boyfriend will surprise me with a new one, I almost have the entire beatrix potter collection :smile:
Whilst I would like to tell someone I like them, I guess the danger is that it won't be reciprocated so I don't think I'd ever do it with some kind of gesture or throwing a stone at their bedroom window and holding a boom box up playing Up Where We Belong.

Would be interesting to hear some low budget things that could be done but then again I guess, as highlighted above already it has to be something personal or meaningful and maybe something that shows you've listened to them or know them well.
(edited 7 years ago)
Sometimes i like to treat myself to a cupcake every now and then, i know my relationship with myself is very romantic <3
Get either very drunk sit at home on my ones playin games
Getting me pizza delivered to me when they weren't even with me!
Reply 10
They gave me a card on valentine's day that said "To a great friend"
Original post by UWS
They gave me a card on valentine's day that said "To a great friend"

I don't even get that 😭 My buzz feed quizzes give me hope :moon:
She hand wrote me a book about us as a fairy tale as part of a Christmas present, because she knew I had issues about how I saw myself. In this story, the character representing me was given a magic mirror by her, which would let me see myself how she saw me.

Not only most romantic, but one of the nicest things anyone's ever done for me.
A week before Christmas, my partner was acting a bit shifty one day and avoided me for a few hours. The next day, when I was least expecting it, he gave me a box with a lotus flower on top. Inside the box was a small origami dragon with a Chinese character written on its tail. Apparently, he didn't know what to buy me for Christmas and the idea came to him at the last moment. :lol: He'd spent several hours (with a few disastrous attempts along the way!) and stayed up very late making the origami dragon and researching Chinese culture as I'm part Hong Kong Chinese, and Chinese culture has always been a huge part of my life. I thought that it was incredibly sweet of him and the origami dragon was my favourite Christmas present.

He also wrote a song for me to help me come to terms with my past and help cope with the difficulties that have followed. He's always been there for me no matter what and helped me through the pain when my mitochondrial symptoms flare up or when I'm feeling incredibly low.

He's trying to learn sign language as I'm profoundly deaf and hear very little even with hearing aids.

So, yeah, I feel incredibly lucky to be with someone as understanding and caring as my partner. I don't know what I'd do without him. :lol:
The most romantic thing I have ever done for a person I loved was cooking some foods. She liked that and was so grateful for this gesture. And although we dispersed a long time ago, this had a long-term effect to me: whenever I am pleased to cook, I do that.

If romantic means doing a good thing for a beloved person, romantic cannot be enough.
Original post by retro_turtles
Sometimes i like to treat myself to a cupcake every now and then, i know my relationship with myself is very romantic <3

honestly too relatable
Original post by StudySherlock
honestly too relatable

Yeah you know it haha
A guy once held the door for me and not let it slam in my face - that was pretty romantic, i'd say
Original post by 27FT
A guy once held the door for me and not let it slam in my face - that was pretty romantic, i'd say

Would rather say it was very kind of him. That should be a naturalness in our everyday life and in intercourse with people around us. I do that where I can.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending