The Student Room Group

International Student Application Dilemma [HELP]

Hi guys

I am an international applicant and am planning to apply to the following unis for law: KCL, LSE, UCL, Bristol, and Durham. The problem is the deadline for UCAS applications is January 15 and in Canada our first semester results for grade 12 come back a week after. My grade 11 grades are not amazing so I would really like to submit my grade 12 marks for consideration in my UCAS. Should I just take the late submission with higher grades or the on time submission but with much lower grades?

All advice is greatly appreciated

Scroll to see replies

Apply now and put predicted grades in.

In the UK A-level results aren't recieved until the August before you go.(so less than a month) The exams are even after the application deadline.
Reply 2
Original post by Jack22031994
Apply now and put predicted grades in.

In the UK A-level results aren't recieved until the August before you go.(so less than a month) The exams are even after the application deadline.

By predicted grades do you predict you're own grades or just put in you're past courses and results in and the universities predict what you will most likely get.
Original post by Derek6ixin
By predicted grades do you predict you're own grades or just put in you're past courses and results in and the universities predict what you will most likely get.

Not sure how it works in Canada but in the UK you're given predicted grades by the sixth form/college you're at. We also put our AS grades and GCSE's in too. Then we get made offers in that which we have to achieve in our A2 exams.

Found this video by Birmingham University for international students applying to a UK Univeristy too

https://youtu.be/HSxOlQuI5jo
Reply 4
Yeah so I found out that when you pick you re accademic reference they're the ones who input all the predicted grades for you're pending qualifications. Thanks for your help Jack22031994 appreciate it!
Yeah so I found out that when you pick you re accademic reference they're the ones who input all the predicted grades for you're pending qualifications. Thanks for your help Jack22031994 appreciate it!

No problem! :smile:

What/Where are you applying for/to out of interest?
Reply 6
Hey, I applied this year from the American system, so I guess it's kinda similar.
I put my exam scores as pending and my college counselor (reference) filled in all the predicted grades.
After my school received my results, they sent the certifications both by post and email to the universities and that allowed the universities to update my status on UCAS and on their database.
Hope this helped :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Jack22031994
No problem! :smile:

What/Where are you applying for/to out of interest?

Im applying for the law program at KCL, LSE, UCL, Queen Mary and York.
Reply 8
Original post by GUMI
Hey, I applied this year from the American system, so I guess it's kinda similar.
I put my exam scores as pending and my college counselor (reference) filled in all the predicted grades.
After my school received my results, they sent the certifications both by post and email to the universities and that allowed the universities to update my status on UCAS and on their database.
Hope this helped :smile:

Oh I see I think the equivalent for college counsellor in Canada is a guidance counsellor so I will ask if they can do something that for me as well. Thanks for the info!
Im applying for the law program at KCL, LSE, UCL, Queen Mary and York.

Ah awesome! :smile:

Hey! I'm currently a grade 11 student and was researching how to apply through UCAS for next year. Could you explain how you got your academic reference to input your predicated grades? Also, did you put in you grade 11 results?
Reply 11
Original post by X___XPLSHELP
Hey! I'm currently a grade 11 student and was researching how to apply through UCAS for next year. Could you explain how you got your academic reference to input your predicated grades? Also, did you put in you grade 11 results?

So essentially how UCAS works is that you enter your academic reference's contact information and UCAS will send an email to your referee asking them to write a letter as well as input predicted grades for your grade 12 courses. In my UCAS I put my grade 11 grades and inserted the grade 12 courses I was taking. Let me know if you need any more information, happy to help!
So essentially how UCAS works is that you enter your academic reference's contact information and UCAS will send an email to your referee asking them to write a letter as well as input predicted grades for your grade 12 courses. In my UCAS I put my grade 11 grades and inserted the grade 12 courses I was taking. Let me know if you need any more information, happy to help!

Ohhhhhhhh. Wouldn't it prove to be difficult for my academic reference to input all my predicted my grades since they don't know my performance in other subjects?

Also, I have small dilemma and I'm not sure if you may know what to do but if so, I'd be very grateful! If my problem expands beyond what you know, please feel free to ignore it!!
So here's my problem:
In grade 10, I took Pre-Cal 11 online to get ahead but I ended up having a heavy workload that semester, so I ended up procrastinating and crammed it all into 2 weeks(barely). I ended with a depressing 88%....Since I barely understood what I had learned and got such a poor mark, I retook the course and ended with a 98%. When applying should I put my better mark or first mark? I spoke to my counselor and they suggested I simply put my better mark.

Unfortunately, no one in my school has ever applied to a school in the UK, so I'm pretty much on my own.

Thank you so much for clarifying what grades you input and explaining how the whole inputting predicted grades work!!
Ohhhhhhhh. Wouldn't it prove to be difficult for my academic reference to input all my predicted my grades since they don't know my performance in other subjects?

Also, I have small dilemma and I'm not sure if you may know what to do but if so, I'd be very grateful! If my problem expands beyond what you know, please feel free to ignore it!!
So here's my problem:
In grade 10, I took Pre-Cal 11 online to get ahead but I ended up having a heavy workload that semester, so I ended up procrastinating and crammed it all into 2 weeks(barely). I ended with a depressing 88%....Since I barely understood what I had learned and got such a poor mark, I retook the course and ended with a 98%. When applying should I put my better mark or first mark? I spoke to my counselor and they suggested I simply put my better mark.

Unfortunately, no one in my school has ever applied to a school in the UK, so I'm pretty much on my own.

Thank you so much for clarifying what grades you input and explaining how the whole inputting predicted grades work!!

I would say, when in doubt enter all grades. In this case... I don't know because it was an online course. It was for credit right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wolfmoon88
I would say, when in doubt enter all grades. In this case... I don't know because it was an online course. It was for credit right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes! Although I repeated the course, I did not get double to credits. So I only got 4 credits for the course.
(edited 7 years ago)
Yes! Although I repeated the course, I did not get double to credits. So I only got 4 credits for the course.

I'm pretty sure they won't know if you just enter the higher grade. But for honesty I would enter the grade anyways I guess. (you are US/Canadian system so I think they wouldn't know)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16

So here's my problem:

The referee usually asks your other teachers for their predictions and any other feedback about you and then collates all the information into your reference.

You need to input all qualifications including each resit/retake.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
The referee usually asks your other teachers for their predictions and any other feedback about you and then collates all the information into your reference.

You need to input all qualifications including each resit/retake.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So there's no way around that? I really don't want to input my previous grade because I want to apply to Oxford. If they're going to see my previous mark, I think I shouldn't even bother trying.

Here are my marks:
French - 93
Socials - 95
English - 96
Math - 88,98
Physics - (most probably) 100
Chemistry - (most probably) 96-100
Reply 18
Since when can you apply through UCAS with high school grades? You apply with external examinations like SAT II, IB or some national examinations.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Fadel
Since when can you apply through UCAS with high school grades? You apply with external examinations like SAT II, IB or some national examinations.

Correct, external qualifications, not school mocks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending