The Student Room Group

Does one individual person decide who to offer a place to?

My son last night was offered a place at Man Met's Social Care degree; direct entry into year two on condition he gets a pass in his HND. Was just wondering, does one individual [the admissions tutor who reads the application] have the authority to offer someone a place there and then, or do they have to double check with someone else. What if they make a mistake and someone isn't really entitled to their offer? Also the term Admissions Tutor; are these people who normally also teach the subject?
Original post by markova21
My son last night was offered a place at Man Met's Social Care degree; direct entry into year two on condition he gets a pass in his HND. Was just wondering, does one individual [the admissions tutor who reads the application] have the authority to offer someone a place there and then, or do they have to double check with someone else. What if they make a mistake and someone isn't really entitled to their offer? Also the term Admissions Tutor; are these people who normally also teach the subject?

Honestly you're the most terrific mum. Really.

There's no problem: the offer is the offer.

No. A group of people including the Admissions Officer go over the application.
Reply 3
Original post by cambio wechsel
Honestly you're the most terrific mum. Really.

There's no problem: the offer is the offer.

Gosh, thank you. At this stage he still doesn't want to go to uni. But I pushed him to get his application in by the deadline anyway. I told him he can always turn down a place if he absolutely doesn't want to go, but it will be far more difficult chasing after a place if he suddenly decided he did want to go nearer the time. Ulster in an email a few months ago said for year two entry he would need to get 2 Distinctions 2 Merits and 4 Passes to be allowed into the second year. But the offer from Man Met says it is on condition he gets a Pass. Which is a bit confusing. As it's a HND he is currently studying, he won't just have a Pass, or Merit or Distinction grade.I don't think so, anyway. I thought It would be similar to his Level 3 Extended Diploma, where he was awarded DDM. Anyway, I was just curious as to who this Admissions Tutor would be and if they unilaterally have the authority to make an offer or if they have to delegate with other people first. Edited to add; maybe the BTEC HND DO only offer one grade as their final mark; Pass, Merit or Distinction, I don't know. But if that was the case why did Ulster specifically say he would need 2 D 2 M and 4P then?
(edited 7 years ago)

Is he pleased? Does he wish to go? Will he have a chance to visit? He really needs to try to? Will this make him get back to studying again? I doubt he would make the offer unless he has the authority to do so. It just needs to be traceable back to the uni.
.. man Met says it is on condition he gets a Pass. Which is a bit confusing. As it's a HND he is currently studying, he won't just have a Pass, or Merit or Distinction grade. It will be similar to his Level 3 Extended Diploma, where he was awarded DDM.

Call them up?

And I think we have an admissions tutor here in @PQ
Reply 6
Original post by 999tigger
Is he pleased? Does he wish to go? Will he have a chance to visit? He really needs to try to? Will this make him get back to studying again? I doubt he would make the offer unless he has the authority to do so. It just needs to be traceable back to the uni.

He has always said he doesn't want to go. But he recently had a massive, massive falling out with his best and only proper friend. Don't know what the hell happened but my son said he would never speak to him again. I think this kind of spurred him on to apply. But whether he will actually want to go is another thing. He wanted to quit the HND after the first year, because all his friends at college were leaving. He told me the other day since he went back in September he doesn't have one single friend at college and no-one speaks to him. My sister and her husband live in Manchester; that's where we are from originally. I think the idea he would have some family members close by "just in case" appeals to him. He turned 20 yesterday but he's very young in a lot of ways.
He has always said he doesn't want to go. But he recently had a massive, massive falling out with his best and only proper friend. Don't know what the hell happened but my son said he would never speak to him again. I think this kind of spurred him on to apply. But whether he will actually want to go is another thing. He wanted to quit the HND after the first year, because all his friends at college were leaving. He told me the other day since he went back in September he doesn't have one single friend at college and no-one speaks to him. My sister and her husband live in Manchester; that's where we are from originally. I think the idea he would have some family members close by "just in case" appeals to him. He turned 20 yesterday but he's very young in a lot of ways.

Yes I recall he situation. You need to send him on a short trip to stay with your borther and for him to look around. Its all very well going if he really wnats to, but to stumble into it could lead to two years worth of loneliness and unhappiness if he isnt committed and ready to adjust. It is also two more years of borrowing money. He shouldnt stumble into it, butif needed take a year out before deciding if he is unsure.
Reply 8
Original post by 999tigger
Yes I recall he situation. You need to send him on a short trip to stay with your borther and for him to look around. Its all very well going if he really wnats to, but to stumble into it could lead to two years worth of loneliness and unhappiness if he isnt committed and ready to adjust. It is also two more years of borrowing money. He shouldnt stumble into it, butif needed take a year out before deciding if he is unsure.

Thanks 999, sorry i've run out of Repping people. I know Ulster said he has 10 years between completing the HND and going into the second year. I think in an email Man Met said you have two or three years. His father did a DipHE then did a year at Ulster; got pissed one day and never went back. He often talked about going back to finish his Humanities degree. When one of the years he was sober and in good form he made an enquiry. He had left it too late. He would have had to start all over again. Personally if i'm really honest with myself, as much as i've always dreamed of him going to uni, I think it would do him good to sign on the dole in June and look for and get a job for a year. I think working in an old people's home or a shop would be so off putting he would be delighted to want to go to uni the following year !! He's now in his 4th year at college and I think he is a bit fed up of it. I think taking a break and doing something else might make him appreciate studying more, if that makes sense.
(edited 7 years ago)
Thanks 999, sorry i've run out of Repping people. I know Ulster said he has 10 years between completing the HND and going into the second year. I think in an email Man Met said you have two or three years. His father did a DipHE then did a year at Ulster; got pissed one day and never went back. He often talked about going back to finish his Humanities degree. When one of the years he was sober and in good form he made an enquiry. He had left it too late. He would have had to start all over again. Personally if i'm really honest with myself, as much as i've always dreamed of him going to uni, I think it would do him good to sign on the dole in June and look for and get a job for a year. I think working in an old people's home or a shop would be so off putting he would be delighted to want to go to uni the following year !! He's now in his 4th year at college and I think he is a bit fed up of it. I think taking a break and doing something else might make him appreciate studying more, if that makes sense.

Too many people stumble into Uni. You see it here all the time. I think a gap year/ get a job would be better. I know someone who has a very similar situation, but he paked in his social care course. It boils down to he will get funded once and take on debt for 2 years for soemthing like an additional £30,000. You know how long that might take to save, so he should spend it wisely. A years wait is nothing. Ive said before I think he could really do with a mentor (other than you). he should at least be n touch with careers (national careers if need be) so he cna get soem type of plan. Sorry to hear your ex was a drunk.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending