The Student Room Group

Imperial College- Medicine 2017 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AortaStudyMore
They probably would offer help if you ask, the senior tutors are very helpful. I had money concerns at the end of my first year, and they had a chat with me (because we were sorting housing out around the exam period so I was extra stressed) and things worked out in the end. I'm now in my second year and getting a long reasonably well in terms of money, I have a job and I live with 4 friends in a good location. It's just a fact of life that money will be tight as a student, but you know, that's kind of the case at any uni...

Don't worry about this now though, seriously, things work out. I genuinely thought I could be homeless in second year haha, because I thought that there would be no one for me to live with and that I wouldn't be able to afford it, it caused a lot of stress, but here I am still going

Yeah thanks for that. I won't go skint or anything lol but South Ken is just so damn expensive! XD
Original post by Happyals
Thanks. What happens if you failed an exam? Can you resit?

You can resit each exam once, and if you fail those without good reason then you're unfortunately kicked out. It is very rare though, we had atleast 2 in our year, but we were a very very big year
You can resit each exam once, and if you fail those without good reason then you're unfortunately kicked out. It is very rare though, we had atleast 2 in our year, but we were a very very big year

Fair enough. Are you happy with the standard of teaching? Doesnt having all the exams at the end of the year put you under a lot of pressure or do you get plenty of time to prepare once the teaching is finished? Sorry for all the questions just all medical schools seem to do things slightly differently
Fair enough. Are you happy with the standard of teaching? Doesnt having all the exams at the end of the year put you under a lot of pressure or do you get plenty of time to prepare once the teaching is finished? Sorry for all the questions just all medical schools seem to do things slightly differently

Teaching's alright, some courses are better than others, for example endocrinology and pharmacology are taught very well, neuroscience and anatomy is not taught particularly well (but as I've said before, you have to do a lot of self study for anatomy). As for there being lots of pressure, well, it's just the same as at school right? At school you do your exams at the end of the year, it's no different at medical school. You get lots of time don't worry
Teaching's alright, some courses are better than others, for example endocrinology and pharmacology are taught very well, neuroscience and anatomy is not taught particularly well (but as I've said before, you have to do a lot of self study for anatomy). As for there being lots of pressure, well, it's just the same as at school right? At school you do your exams at the end of the year, it's no different at medical school. You get lots of time don't worry

That's true! Thank you for answering all my questions - trying to decide between Imperial & UCL!
That's true! Thank you for answering all my questions - trying to decide between Imperial & UCL!

Well, just bear in mind that imperial is the 3rd best medical school in the country and UCL is 5th :wink:

I joke, don't use that as a reason!
Well, just bear in mind that imperial is the 3rd best medical school in the country and UCL is 5th :wink:

I joke, don't use that as a reason!

Imperial 4th in the QS world rankings & UCL 6th 😉. Although no I won't! Applied to both in hope I would get one of them but never expected to be in the very fortunate position of having the choice between them both & it's a tough decision! Thank you for your help 😊
I've received an offer from imperial last Wednesday- on ucas track- but I still haven't received an email. Should I be worried? Should I even be waiting for an email? And one last question- is there any chance that imperial can withdraw their offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Johncenaofficial
I've received an offer from imperial last Wednesday- on ucas track- but I still haven't received an email. Should I be worried? Should I even be waiting for an email? And one last question- is there any chance that imperial can withdraw their offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you have an offer on track then that's that, it's 100% legit and they can't take it back. Just focus on getting the grades now! :P
Should you initiate a handshake with ALL the interviewers?
Original post by meMyself&I
Should you initiate a handshake with ALL the interviewers?

Yes,
I did this at my UCL interview and got an offer. I plan to do it at my Imperial one aswell. Just make sure it's a good hand shake.
Reply 1451
Does anyone know how graduates are finding the A109 course? From my understanding it was a new course last year, so finding it slightly difficult to find any information about if it's actually good.
Reply 1452
does anyone know how likely an offer is to be AAA rather than A*AA?
Original post by caro99

I think it's unlikely to get an offer of AAA, its more likely that you'll get A*AA (Imperials website even says the standard offer is likely to be A*AA rather than AAA)
Original post by caro99

Personally I come from one of the worst schools in England (something like the bottom 10%) and I got A*AA so I personally think that they're trying to stop giving AAA offers this year. I know one girl last year who came to my school and got AAA offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Received an offer last week :smile: "Offer" is A*A*A*- not really an offer since I'm a re-applicant, so they just want to check my certificates to make sure I wasn't using my application form as a space to write a sequel for Lord of the Rings :tongue:

Spoiler

Original post by Miles Edgeworth
Received an offer last week :smile: "Offer" is A*A*A*- not really an offer since I'm a re-applicant, so they just want to check my certificates to make sure I wasn't using my application form as a space to write a sequel for Lord of the Rings :tongue:

Spoiler

Congratulations, did you find ukcat and bmat easier the second time you did them? :smile:
Original post by Miles Edgeworth

Spoiler

Congrats on the offer!! Thought you'd be applying for Law tho with your username :tongue:
Had my interview today. At first, I thought it was kind of okay, but now I realised that it was terrible lol. I mean, the people at the panel were veery nice but I was really chaotical with my answers and didn't actually make a point and say what I wanted to say (lowkey waiting for another rejection meh)

shoutout to the people I met in the waiting room! Had a very nice chat with you guys! (I was the guy with glasses and long hair)

Good luck everyone :smile:
Original post by Fwong99
Congratulations, did you find ukcat and bmat easier the second time you did them? :smile:

I didn't do UKCAT first time or second time, I thought bmat was easier second time. I had 5.7 7.4 3B first time, which wasn't bad but we can probably be over 95% confident that the improvement was significant :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending