The Student Room Group

Things you struggle with mostly while learning to drive

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1000
Original post by cherryred90s
I usually have lessons once a week but because of the Christmas break, I haven't been having regular lessons. Will probably have about 5 hours of lessons before my test.

I'm a little nervous for it but hopeful. Will be sure to let you all know how I do !

5 hours should be enough. I hope it goes well.
Original post by cherryred90s
This is my fear :frown:

I got there in the end though , im not scared of actually driving , just the test. And when you're actually doing it , it's not that bad . I relaxed a lot more. Mind over matter really .
Original post by fkx
I was also very nervous more so in my last test as there was another guy in the car while I was taking the test! Made me so uncomfortable, not to mention the examiner seemed a bit annoyed even before I was in the car taking the test.

I had this on my first test , an examiner examining the examiner ! Didn't help my nerves at all.
Reply 1003
Original post by Supernova91
I had this on my first test , an examiner examining the examiner ! Didn't help my nerves at all.

Yeah thats what I had, it made it even worse! they told me to imagine him not even being there, but that was hard because everytime i looked in the mirror i could see him there haha
Roundabouts are a British failure.
Original post by fkx
Yeah, I've also been checking the website daily...I remember for my last test I managed to bring it forward a month as well.

Tbh, I'm happy with the date, but not the time..would have preferred an earlier time.

I haven't had a lesson since the 23rd of December, when I took a 2 hour lesson with the new instructor. I'm going back to my old one as it's easier and will be going back to lessons this coming week. Just been a bit busy with uni assignments/revision (as well as a lot of procrastination...)

Fair enough :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Supernova91

I had this on my 2nd attempt, someone watching the examiner which didn't help me with my nerves at all and failed. I passed on my 3rd attempt though :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jack22031994
Cant wait until my next student loan comes in - can finally book my test and do a couple of lessons again!

I should really be practicing in my own car more though!

That's good :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BlindingLight
Roundabouts are a British failure.

Regular roundabouts are superb invention IMO. If they're just the regular sort, then you know what you're getting, they're all the same, if you're going any further than straight ahead then just get in the right lane and then exit as needed. Couldn't be simpler once you know how to use them. It's the big traffic-light roundabouts that I find absolutely pointless, what's wrong with a normal roundabout? They cost much less to build and are so much simpler to use.
Reply 1009
Hows everyone's lessons going? :smile:
Original post by Spock's Socks
Hows everyone's lessons going? :smile:

Hey how's it going? Have you gone back into driving lessons yet? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1011
Original post by ohhello92x
Hey how's it going? Have you gone back into driving lessons yet? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hiya :smile:

Nah I'm still not back at lessons yet :frown: I'm going to be too skint until after my wedding in July so probably wont be able to go back til the summer which sucks as I want to start again asap :tongue: my mum has a new instructor but the soonest date she could get to start with the new instructor is at the end of Feb but its better than nothing :smile:

Hows driving going for you? Has it sunk in that you've passed? :tongue:
I have completed 4 lessons so far and am confident in:

Moving off
Turning left and right
Stopping
Gears 1, 2, 3

I hate the clutch sometimes, the worst is holding the biting point at a turn, but not being able to turn because of continuous traffic. I sat there holding the biting point for like a minute at one point lmao.

But yea, only stalled 2 times so far in 4 lessons so going good for me!
Original post by Spock's Socks
Hiya :smile:

Nah I'm still not back at lessons yet :frown: I'm going to be too skint until after my wedding in July so probably wont be able to go back til the summer which sucks as I want to start again asap :tongue: my mum has a new instructor but the soonest date she could get to start with the new instructor is at the end of Feb but its better than nothing :smile:

Hows driving going for you? Has it sunk in that you've passed? :tongue:

Hey :smile:

Aw that sucks :frown: oh at least that's something to look forward too, and hopefully you'll get back into your lessons after the wedding :redface: :tongue:! Oh that's good, hope the new instructor is just as good as the old one and she gets on with him/her :smile:

Yeah driving's going really well thanks :biggrin:! Yeah it's finally sunk in that I've passed :tongue: but at times it does still feel kinda strange that I don't have to rely on lifts/public transport anymore, but loving the freedom though :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zoliii
I have completed 4 lessons so far and am confident in:

Moving off
Turning left and right
Stopping
Gears 1, 2, 3

I hate the clutch sometimes, the worst is holding the biting point at a turn, but not being able to turn because of continuous traffic. I sat there holding the biting point for like a minute at one point lmao.

But yea, only stalled 2 times so far in 4 lessons so going good for me!

Ah that's good :biggrin:, you'll get used to the clutch soon enough :smile: but yeah sounds like you're doing really well so far :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ohhello92x
Ah that's good :biggrin:, you'll get used to the clutch soon enough :smile: but yeah sounds like you're doing really well so far :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! I actually really enjoy driving!
Original post by Zoliii
Thanks! I actually really enjoy driving!

You're welcome :smile:, you'll enjoy driving even more once you've passed :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Staying in my lane on narrow roads

Following the curve

Keeping my distance from parked cars on the left

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
Creeping at junctions - I used to stall a lot. I also took quite a while to understand clutch control, of using 1st and 2nd gear effectively to creep and go slow. Roundabouts are still the devil to me :angry:
In my village the streets are very narrow so when I go driving practice, I can't parallel park or else I end up hitting the pavement, and there are no bay parking spaces apart from at the village shop but it's a busy wee place and I always think I'm inconveniencing others :s-smilie:
Original post by petite-abi
Creeping at junctions - I used to stall a lot. I also took quite a while to understand clutch control, of using 1st and 2nd gear effectively to creep and go slow. Roundabouts are still the devil to me :angry:
In my village the streets are very narrow so when I go driving practice, I can't parallel park or else I end up hitting the pavement, and there are no bay parking spaces apart from at the village shop but it's a busy wee place and I always think I'm inconveniencing others :s-smilie:

Roundabouts are so odd. When you're learning to drive, they're an absolute nightmare for a lot of people. Once you've been driving a while though and done loads of roundabouts, they literally couldn't be more simple. I used to get nervous coming up to roundabouts even as I was advanced enough to take my test and even for a while after I'd passed; now, I could be in a totally new area, decide which exit I need to take at a roundabout and that's it, habit just takes over, I could be faffing about with my radio, having a conversation with someone and just navigate the roundabout in heavy traffic without even really thinking about it. In other words, they definitely get easer the more you do them :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending