The Student Room Group

Car - Dad wont let me have a choice

My first car was shared with my brother but he works in a different city and didnt need it, so I was driving it, but in november he moved again and now has the car. In that time, my parents bought a large family car and so I've been driving that for 2 months.
I've just secured my first proper job which is 30 miles each way and my dad said he will get me a car for commuting and to call my own, but he won't let me have any say in it. What's the point then? It's controlling behaviour and he snaps when I disagree with his choice.
I'm fine with a typical ford or whatever. Ideally a vw polo, but he is looking at things like a chevrolete(can't rememeber the model) which I've never even seen before. I don't want to turn up to work in a banger.
Also, for some reason he's trying to get me the smallest car possible and is looking at smart cars, even though I recently had a car accident and I'm still shook up and would feel like a potential crushed can in a smart car. I just want a normal hatchback good for motorway driving but he won't have any of it. I've suggested ford/polos that have £30 road tax, cheap to insure etc. But he's adamant that he's choosing the car and has bid on some without caring about my needs.
He bought my brother a £3000 seat and is looking at tiny £500 bangers for me. Is that how much my life is worth?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by oh ffs
My first car was shared with my brother but he works in a different city and didnt need it, so I was driving it, but in november he moved again and now has the car. In that time, my parents bought a large family car and so I've been driving that for 2 months.
I've just secured my first proper job which is 30 miles each way and my dad said he will get me a car for commuting and to call my own, but he won't let me have any say in it. What's the point then? It's controlling behaviour and he snaps when I disagree with his choice.
I'm fine with a typical ford or whatever. Ideally a vw polo, but he is looking at things like a chevrolete(can't rememeber the model) which I've never even seen before. I don't want to turn up to work in a banger.
Also, for some reason he's trying to get me the smallest car possible and is looking at smart cars, even though I recently had a car accident and I'm still shook up and would feel like a potential crushed can in a smart car. I just want a normal hatchback good for motorway driving but he won't have any of it. I've suggested ford/polos that have £30 road tax, cheap to insure etc. But he's adamant that he's choosing the car and has bid on some without caring about my needs.
He bought my brother a 3k seat and is looking at £500 bangers for me. Is that how much my life is worth?

Be thankful he is buying you a car, if you want a more top of a ranger motor, you gotta go out and earn it.
Your lucky that he's buying you a car in the first place. If there's a specific model/brand you would like then offer to at least contribute towards it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is this post genuine? You can choose the make/model/size of your car when you are buying your own. If you don't think there's any "point" in your dad buying the car for you then don't accept it. If your dad read this post, I hope he'd think twice about buying you anything.
Reply 4
Original post by MonteCristo
Is this post genuine? You can choose the make/model/size of your car when you are buying your own. If you don't think there's any "point" in your dad buying the car for you then don't accept it. If your dad read this post, I hope he'd think twice about buying you anything.

I'm quite happy to keep driving the car I'm using now, which he was so quick to tell everyone that it's my car. He's only buying another car to stop me from taking that one to work, so at least let me have a say.
Original post by oh ffs
I'm quite happy to keep driving the car I'm using now, which he was so quick to tell everyone that it's my car. He's only buying another car to stop me from taking that one to work, so at least let me have a say.

Sooooo... just say no thanks, perhaps? Seems like a no brainer to me.
You're seriously complaining on the internet that your father won't buy you the correct expensive gift?

Get over yourself OP.
Reply 7
Original post by Rock Fan
Be thankful he is buying you a car, if you want a more top of a ranger motor, you gotta go out and earn it.

I'd rather go by train or bus tbh but he won't stop bidding. It's not about having top of the range. Someone came speeding round the corner and came onto my side of the road and hit my front right side and I'm still somewhat scared to go back in the car after that incident, bearing in mind that I was in a large car. Now he's looking at the tiniest cars possible to drive onto the motorway every day and it's all the wrong intentions and only his say matters. I don't need that ****.
Reply 8
Original post by TimmonaPortella
You're seriously complaining on the internet that your father won't buy you the correct expensive gift?

Get over yourself OP.

Triggered!
Don't drive the car then.
Original post by oh ffs
I'd rather go by train or bus tbh but he won't stop bidding. It's not about having top of the range. Someone came speeding round the corner and came onto my side of the road and hit my front right side and I'm still somewhat scared to go back in the car after that incident, bearing in mind that I was in a large car. Now he's looking at the tiniest cars possible to drive onto the motorway every day and it's all the wrong intentions and only his say matters. I don't need that ****.

Surely the best thing you can do is get back behind the wheel of a car to improve your confidence.
Original post by oh ffs
but he is looking at things like a chevrolete

V8 muscle car! Awesome!
Tell him thanks dad, but I'll buy my own car....?
Original post by oh ffs
Triggered!

Noone is triggered. The only person actually triggered is you, because you don't seem to think you should pay for your own car.
Reply 14
Original post by coldplasma
Noone is triggered. The only person actually triggered is you, because you don't seem to think you should pay for your own car.

I already have a car. No one is asking my dad to get another one.
Having read your post, your user name is rather ironic.
Original post by Rock Fan

I agree.
Once you have earned a bit of money you can then afford to go out and buy your own that you would prefer.
Smart 2seater has a 4 star EURONCAP safety rating.
Reply 18
Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Wait until the car is fully registered in your name and you have the V5, then if your Dad really intends the car to be something "to call my own", then trade it in at the earliest possibly opportunity for something you fancy.
Reply 19
Consider yourself lucky your dad is buying you a car, I had to buy my car myself which also was a banger.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending