The Student Room Group

Generation Z is the most conservative since WW2

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3790614/They-don-t-like-drugs-gay-marriage-HATE-tattoos-Generation-Z-conservative-WW2.html

Generation Z (people born after 2000) have more conservative views on gay marriage, drugs, tattoos and social norms than the two previous generations.

Scroll to see replies

Excellent. Do you feel that warmness inside of you?

Spoiler

Reply 2
Original post by Ladbants
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3790614/They-don-t-like-drugs-gay-marriage-HATE-tattoos-Generation-Z-conservative-WW2.html

Generation Z (people born after 2000) have more conservative views on gay marriage, drugs, tattoos and social norms than the two previous generations.

It's sad, but true
Liberalism is dying
I somewhat doubt they lean either way. Teenagers below the age of 16 tend not to get involved with social/political issues.
Original post by Vesniep
It's sad, but true
Liberalism is dying

This.

Around 85 per cent of Millennials and those in Generation X had a 'quite' or 'very liberal' stance overall.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by BasicMistake
I somewhat doubt they lean either way. Teenagers below the age of 16 tend not to get involved with social/political issues.

Yeah that's what I thought too. May as well be asking a load of cats if they like the colour blue; most don't know enough about it to care, and those that do have already made their position on the colour well known by ripping the curtains to shreds.
The youth of today sound ****ing boring.
The usual nonsense from conservative types.

Gay marriage was only very recently passed.
The % of religious people in the UK is falling, the number of atheists now outnumbers theists in the UK.

There is pressure to see drug reform, many think the 'war on drugs' has failed and in America 25 states have reduced restrictions on marijuana, more states did so in the recent US election. (Although the UK won't anytime soon, i accept that)

Abortion is legal here and there is no talk of changing that. Ireland is under pressure to change its draconian stance.

So in the wake of Brexit and wider turbulence caused from the election of Trump, liberalism faces significant challenges. However, to say many of its key tenets are 'dying' is unfounded imo and a link to the very right-wing (conservative) Daily mail will not provide any evidence to the contrary.
Original post by BasicMistake

I definitely had opinions on drugs and racism etc when I was in year 7/8. Plus whenever we glanced over civil rights in America in history lessons it was obvious that racism is bad. It was the same with feudalism and the enlightenment.

I can remember being in year 9 science lesson learning about different drugs and thinking it is insane that cannabis is illegal whilst alcohol/cigs are legal. I also saw cigarettes as form of class oppression well, mega capitalists getting a load of poor people hooked on a drug that is as addictive as heroine and and will likely kill you in middle age.

Maybe I was just a bit weird.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Mathemagicien
I agree somewhat.

However, you are ignoring the existence of conservative (or anti-Islamic) atheists; just compare Richard Dawkins to the pope, Dawkins is far more islamophobic.

Also, while the article hasn't convinced me, I do believe that "generation z" is much more conservative than other generations were when they were the same age, when it comes to many issues, such as drug use, war, islam, international cooperation, and perhaps is less open to trans-rights than the 'millenials'.

Look across the channel to France, where the proto-fascist Front National has the strongest support from the youth. There is similarly high levels of support for far-right parties all across Europe amongst the youth, not necessarily higher than other generations, but higher than the previous generations would have been at that age.

How do we know?

We don't know how 16/17 year olds voted in the 2014 Scottish referendum but i'd strongly suggest they voted mainly for yes (which was the less conservative option). Ashcroft and Yougov polls after it were too small a sample and gave different results.

Other than that example we don't really have evidence for how they would vote...

I understand you're saying 'at the same age' but what under 18s think is largely still shaped by their parents, education etc.

It was older people that voted for Brexit.
It tends to be the over 50s that want a more isolated position.

I would agree a bit on Islam and maybe international co-operation. Other than that, no.

The trends have been all the other way for decades now and i need more evidence than a daily mail article to convince me the very youngest will start to reverse all that.

Science is why there are far fewer Christians (and to a lesser extent, theists in general) now than before.

Propaganda is to blame for why we have banned almost all drugs. It isn't based on evidence.

So therefore since the root causes of many conservative beliefs have been lessened then i find it very hard to agree with the argument of the article from the daily mail.
Your choices are either authoritarian leftism and authoritarian right-wing conservatism. "Liberal" as an option appears to be have been left by the wayside, which is a shame because, as a liberal, I think it means we're screwed. The enlightenment is dead.
Reply 11
*quotes BS Daily Mail article, wants to be taken seriously*
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
I definitely had opinions on drugs and racism etc when I was in year 7/8. Plus whenever we glanced over civil rights in America in history lessons it was obvious that racism is bad. It was the same with feudalism and the enlightenment.

I can remember being in year 9 science lesson learning about different drugs and thinking it is insane that cannabis is illegal whilst alcohol/cigs are legal. I also saw cigarettes as form of class oppression well, mega capitalists getting a load of poor people hooked on a drug that is as addictive as heroine and and will likely kill you in middle age.

Maybe I was just a bit weird.

Interesting you thought that.

Under 16 i said i'd never have a cigarette. Barely drink.
Never contemplated any of the other drugs.

I would believe all the propaganda, steroids is a good one for example ie they're the devil when in reality, no they're not. (And no i don't use them and don't plan to in the medium-term, probably ever)

I was less pro gay marriage, more religious (although never a 'believer':wink:, more capitalist (i'm still right of centre but mildly) etc.
I was probably more anti-EU back then, Anti-Scottish independence etc.

So for me, i'm far more liberal now as you'd expect a 21 year old to be. I will only slide more right-wing as i age i'd imagine (not sure about authoritarian but probably will slowly move that way too).

I'm far more liberal than my grandparents and my parents. So is my brother and sister (who are much much older than me)
Original post by rolaah
*quotes BS Daily Mail article, wants to be taken seriously*

Claims Daily Mail article was BS without producing an argument as to why is was BS, wants to be taken seriously.
Reply 14
Original post by joe cooley
Claims Daily Mail article was BS without producing an argument as to why is was BS, wants to be taken seriously.

It takes a sample size of 2000 and attempts to draw a broad conclusion that an entire generation of people is more conservative, coming from a biased conservative source. Sounds legit...
Generation Z?

People who are at most 17?

people who are as young as 10?

Are labelled politically?

Okay then.
As it says clearly in the article, only 14 and 15-year-olds were surveyed.

Its a rather silly piece, as you'd expect. I wasn't impressed.

But the premise is (coincidentally) correct, imo.

Demographers often define Generation Z to be those who were born after the mid 1990s, the DM's definition is not unique. And young people certainly do hold political opinions...

Well it wouldn't surprise me too much. The internet, it radicalises Muslims as much as little white kids.
Reply 17
Original post by Ladbants

I was born in 97'

I am very much anti gay marriage, drugs and immigration and fighting other peoples wars
Original post by Vesniep
It's sad, but true
Liberalism is dying

Liberalism and conservatism are not incompatible

You'll find that a lot of the Gen Z folks will grow out of this stuff, it's just a reaction to the crap they see coming from the left. The old saying goes that as you grow up you grow more conservative. The truth is as you grow up you grow more centrist, but because kids previously were almost always left they were seen as becoming more right wing.

The generation will likely become more socially liberal as they go through their late teens and early twenties, as they get a job and start having a more international outlook, as they themselves go through hard times.

The general trend is that kids are reactionary to the cultural forces in power. Right now the left is culturally dominant - hollywood, silicon valley the media (no matter what people say, the majority of the MSM is socially left of centre, especially in the UK). That's what they're rebelling against.

What I think we'll see is more libertarian generation than anything
Reply 19
Oh Christ, here we go again with the misunderstanding of statistics. And it wasn't the Daily Mail which conducted the poll.

This is a huge problem with TSR, we have GCSE commentators who have just learnt about sample sizes and source bias, and parrot it all back without any understanding.

How can a sample of only 800 or 1,200 truly reflect the opinions of 200 million Americans within a few percentage points?

Sampling methods and measures of sample reliability or precision are derived from a mathematical science called statistics. Statistics is a subject taught in colleges and some high schools. Text books on the subject are available in most libraries.

At the root of statistical reliability is probability; i.e., the odds of obtaining a particular outcome by chance alone. As an example, the chances of having a coin come up heads in a single toss is 50%. Heads is one of only two possible outcomes. The chance of getting two heads in two coin tosses is less because two heads are now only one of four possible outcomes; i.e., a head/head, head/tail, tail/head and tail/tail. As the number of coin tosses increases, it becomes increasingly more likely to get outcomes that are either very close to half heads or exactly half because, as with two coin tosses, there are more ways to get such outcomes.

Sample survey reliability works the same way -- but on a much larger scale. As in coin tosses, the most likely sample outcome is the true percentage of whatever it is we are measuring across the total population. Next most likely are outcomes very close to this true percentage. A statement of potential margin of error or sample precision reflects this and often appears in poll stories. Using a sample of 1,000 as an example, the statement could read: the chances are 95% of coming within +/- 3% of a hypothetical survey conducted among all members of the population. This means that 95% of all samples that could possibly be drawn will yield an outcome within 3 percentage points of the true percentage among the population.

Keep in mind that estimates of potential sample error always assume random samples. But even in true random samples, precision can be compromised by other factors, such as the wording of questions or the order in which questions were asked.

There is no single ideal sample size. Samples of any size have some degree of precision. The question is always whether there is sufficient precision to draw conclusions as determined by statistical formulae.

Are these the same completely unbiased and 100% accurate pollsters who correctly predicted the voting intentions of the UK and US elections?

All I'm saying is that there is no infallible technique in taking 2,000 people's results from one survey and immediately assuming it represents the views of almost a billion.

Every pollster has an agenda - if you bothered to look at any other surveys on any other issue you would notice that results vary wildly from one survey group to another depending on the agenda of the company running it and the desired outcome of the poll.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending