The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Student Money Week 2017
If you're thinking about studying an NHS course, Kim is here to answer your questions.

Kim works as a policy advisor for NHS Student Bursaries. She has more than 18 years' experience.

Please be aware all answers will be posted on Monday 6 February.

Hi, is Cardiac Physiology an NHS course?
How are medicine courses funded? If you were to do a 6-year course, would student finance give a 9k loan for every year?
Reply 3
If you're thinking about studying an NHS course, Kim is here to answer your questions.

Kim works as a policy advisor for NHS Student Bursaries. She has more than 18 years' experience.

Hi Kim

I am a Northern Irish student who has already done a three year degree in Belfast. I am now looking to study Occupational Therapy? Would I be eligible for student funding?
Reply 4

Hi,

What bursaries/scholarships are available for new medicine students please from a low income family?

Many Thanks
Reply 5
hi is the funding the same if I study in Wales as if I study in England? I am from Wales.
Is any support available for nurses (starting September) now the bursary has gone
Reply 7
Hello
Im due to start a radiography degree in September all being well. Now the bursary has gone what am i entitled to as a mature student. i have a dependant. Im really not sure on what i can apply for benefit wise?
Help!

Many thanks
zoe
Original post by Sayfi
Hi, is Cardiac Physiology an NHS course?

Hi there, thanks for your question.

Cardiac Physiology is not an NHS-funded course, so I can only advise you to
contact Student Finance England to see what support you may be entitled to from student loans for this type of course.

If you go to www.thestudentroom.co.uk/studentfinance

and click on ‘Resources’, there is a huge amount of information and guidance on financial support available to you.

I hope this helps.:smile:
Posted on behalf of Ral1990:

Hi,

I am planning on applying to go to medical School (Graduate Entry Medicine).

I was wondering if i would get any help from Student finance as i have already completed a degree? (graduated in 2012).

Thanks
Hi,

I am applying for radiotherapy in 2017 but already have a HNC for completing one year of university (started university in 2002). I received student loan funding for more than one year, but according to the new rules, can i receive a maintenance loan for all three years of radiotherapy? I have read the document and understand I can receive tuition for all three years but I am struggling to find anybody at the student loans company who can confirm the maintenance loan info. Obviously it's a concern as to whether i can still afford to go to university, despite the new rules helping those doing second degrees.

Thanks,
Nicola
Original post by bex.anne
How are medicine courses funded? If you were to do a 6-year course, would student finance give a 9k loan for every year?

Hi, many thanks for your question.

Currently, undergraduate (5 or 6 year) medical courses are funded through
student loans for the first four years of study.
From year 5, NHS Bursary funding is available. Have a look at NHS Student Bursaries online knowledge database Ask Us for more detailed information.

Please note, the information regarding NHS Bursary support for medical
students is only current for 2017/18, however we are unable to confirm at this
stage whether NHS bursary funding will be available for medical students in
the future.

With regard to student finance tuition fee loans, I am unfortunately unable to advise you. You may be better accessing the range of information available on this
topic that the Student Room offers.

If you go to www.thestudentroom.co.uk/studentfinance and click on ‘Resources’, there is a huge amount of information and guidance
available on all aspects of student funding - including tuition fee loans.

Many thanks

Posted on behalf of jande:

Hi,Iam a first year student studying an NHS funded course.I applied for maintainable loan before I started maternity leave and it was approved.I had my baby and I took time off to take care of her ,Iam going back in September .My question is,Iam I still entitled to maintanance loan ?Iam receiving NHS bursary .
Reply 13
My Daughter is starting a Nursing Degree but we are confused as to what financial help she can apply for.. Can you give us some guidance?
Hi,

I'm a little confused as I have read the gov website talking about ELQ loans for people such as myself, that have a degree (that was funded by SFE) but want to go on to do another in the medical field. With the withdrawal of bursaries and nhs funded courses - is the government offering any extra access to SFE?

I either want to do a paramedic degree (aware of mixed funding model) or a nursing degree and was wondering if I would have access to student loans again if I gained a place? Are there new funding policies coming out for Sep 2017 entry?

Sorry for the jumbled, frantic questions - the UCAS deadline is very close!!

Thanks,

Maria
Also, I know some universities offer an accellerated nursing course if you have a degree already - most I checked are funded by the nhs, do you know if the government plans to change this by Sep 2017/2018?

Thanks,

Maria
Original post by Johare94
Hi Kim

I am a Northern Irish student who has already done a three year degree in Belfast. I am now looking to study Occupational Therapy? Would I be eligible for student funding?

Hi there and thanks for your question.

The type of funding you may be eligible for would depend on where you chose to study
Occupational Therapy. If it was in Northern Ireland, you would need to contact the relevant funding authority there click on the link for Student Finance Northern Ireland (SFNI) at the top of the screen.

If you wanted to study in England, you would need to show that you were ordinarily resident here in order to be eligible for a student loan from SFE., as most occupational therapy courses (apart from those at postgraduate level and some part-time courses) are no longer eligible for an NHS Bursary.

You may be interested in the other webchat taking place between 5 and 6pm today and 12 and 1 on Wednesday- Are you eligible for student finance? This may also help to clarify what you could be entitled to.

Hope this helps to point you in the right direction
Many thanks.
Reply 17
I'm really confused and worried, I was wondering if somebody could help me!
I was studying adult nursing which was nhs bursary funded before I left due to personal circumstances.
I'm wishing to retake the course again but don't know where id stand financially or how it works now.
Would I be entitled to a maintenance loan although I've already had one? and tuition fees, would I be entitled to those as I left my previous course?

any advice would be brilliant! thank you
Original post by CJ
Posted on behalf of Ral1990:

Hi,

I am planning on applying to go to medical School (Graduate Entry Medicine).

I was wondering if i would get any help from Student finance as i have already completed a degree? (graduated in 2012).

Thanks

Hi and many thanks for your question.

Unfortunately I am only able to provide advice on NHS bursaries so would not be able to comment on what type of loan funding could be available to you.
I can advise that currently, NHS Bursary funding is available to graduate entry medical students from their second year of study. More information about bursaries is available from our online knowledge service 'Ask Us' -
http://contactcentreservices.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/selfnhsukokb/AskUs_SB/template-group.do

In relation to student loans and tuition fee support, if you go to www.thestudentroom.co.uk/studentfinance

and click on ‘Resources’, there is a huge amount of information and guidance available,
which should help to point you in the right direction.

Hope this is helpful,

I hope this helps.
I am aware that there is available funding for my course (PgDip Children Nursing)2017. Please, I would like to know if other financial help will be available for child care and other house hold bills.

Latest

Trending

Trending