The Student Room Group

Turning down a place at medical school to try again next year

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Lol, just because you have the drive and the academic results doesn't mean you will get into medicine. It should up your chances, but it won't guarantee a place. Don't forget, the hundreds of other people applying will have these same qualities!

In medicine the general rule is where you get in, you go.

If you get 2 offers, congrats, but you are very definitely in the minority! 3 or more is unheard of lol.

I would do nothing with your application and just go to your interviews. What uni are you backing out of? And where else have you applied?

Ps. I'm in med school.
Original post by paddyx
You choose five courses on the UCAS form but only four can be medicine. The other needs to be something that makes sense in terms of your personal statement: Biomedical Sciences, for example. You can put something unrelated to medicine down (law, accountancy, etc) but the application will go in the bin when they see your Personal Statement which (presumably) says that you have thought of nothing but becoming a doctor since you first saw Casualty on the television when you were six years old.

Slightly confused about this UCAS thing, I'll probably start my application later this year for 2018 entry. I'm thinking of Medicine but I'll have to do a foundation course (6 years) due to incorrect A Levels for the normal 5 years. When you upload your personal statement, is it just ONE personal statement for all Universities? What if people apply to different course?Can you not upload multiple personal statements?:biggrin: This has just never been explained to me so sorry if sound really naive loool :s-smilie:
Original post by romansholiday
Slightly confused about this UCAS thing, I'll probably start my application later this year for 2018 entry. I'm thinking of Medicine but I'll have to do a foundation course (6 years) due to incorrect A Levels for the normal 5 years. When you upload your personal statement, is it just ONE personal statement for all Universities? What if people apply to different course?Can you not upload multiple personal statements?:biggrin: This has just never been explained to me so sorry if sound really naive loool :s-smilie:

You can only write one personal statement for all 5 of your choices, even if you apply to different courses. It's usually advised you make your fifth choice medicine-related such as biomedical sciences just so that when they read your PS it will still be somewhat relevant.
Original post by wolfmoon88
:rofl: don't do it unless:

1. you are confident you will get a spot in a medical school

2. you have other choices elsewhere and won't study in the UK if you don't get into med school

3. you are just joking :rofl:

@NeverLucky was a Tourism applicant for London Met

Oh, and Cambridge too :P
Original post by paddyx
I applied to four medical schools this year and got interviews at three of them. But since I put my application in I have a bit gone off one of the three schools where I am being interviewed. I had thought that if I got an offer only from the school that I have gone off that I might turn down the offer and try again next year. However, I have been told that if you are offered a place at any medical school in the UK and turn the offer down all other UK medical schools will reject a subsequent application from you. Is this true?

The whole point of applying through UCAS is that your choices don't know where else you applied. So no. There's no way they'd turn you down next year for this reason.

However, universities (for ALL courses not just medicine) are known to turn down applicants who got in first time but rejected their offer and then reapplied again next year. There's a blacklist for that kind of thing apparently. UCL certainly do this (my current uni).

My advice would be to look really carefully at the other courses and try and get some enthusiasm about them. You must have liked something about them to apply in the first place. It's hard, but try not to set all your sights on one university as if you don't get an offer then you'll be setting yourself up for disappointment. Getting in anywhere is a big achievement!
Reply 45
Original post by HopelessMedic
Your jumping the gun a bit, especially seeing as there's a good chance you won't get that offer. But if you do it would be madness to turn it down, you know how competitive medicine is and you could be risking your career by turning down the chance. An offer this year does not mean you will get one next year.

I am not so crazy as to think that I am likely to be offered a place at any medical school. I was simply trying to think through a situation where I was offered a place at a medical school that I wasn't madly keen on in the light of what I had been told. I fully understand that getting offered a place at ANY medical school is a very long shot.
Reply 46
Original post by EllyJelly
My advice would be to look really carefully at the other courses and try and get some enthusiasm about them. You must have liked something about them to apply in the first place. It's hard, but try not to set all your sights on one university as if you don't get an offer then you'll be setting yourself up for disappointment. Getting in anywhere is a big achievement!

This is slightly misunderstanding what I said. I am very keen on my other choices and not so keen about only one of the schools that I put down on my UCAS form. What to do if I get offered a place at the latter? I accept that any offer is very unlikely but I am just trying to think through the possibilities in advance.
Reply 47
Original post by paddyx
I am not so crazy as to think that I am likely to be offered a place at any medical school. I was simply trying to think through a situation where I was offered a place at a medical school that I wasn't madly keen on in the light of what I had been told. I fully understand that getting offered a place at ANY medical school is a very long shot.

Given the highly competitive nature of medicine applications your number one objective must be to do medicine. It barely matters where.

If you have the luxury of 2+ offers then of course you have a decision to make. If you "only" get an offer from your "less preferred" choice you would be ill-advised to reject it.

The chances of 4 rejections are not insignificant, and remain so if you withdraw and reapply next year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 48
Original post by paddyx
I applied to four medical schools this year and got interviews at three of them. But since I put my application in I have a bit gone off one of the three schools where I am being interviewed. I had thought that if I got an offer only from the school that I have gone off that I might turn down the offer and try again next year. However, I have been told that if you are offered a place at any medical school in the UK and turn the offer down all other UK medical schools will reject a subsequent application from you. Is this true?

Seriously? I was thinking of doing that as well! I didn't think it would put you at a disadvantage!
Original post by Sabby888
You can only write one personal statement for all 5 of your choices, even if you apply to different courses. It's usually advised you make your fifth choice medicine-related such as biomedical sciences just so that when they read your PS it will still be somewhat relevant.

Okay, now I understand. Thanks for the response!

This may be another stupid question but could you put Dentistry as your 5th option, or does that come under the Medical 4 choices? Sorry for all these questions, but UCAS has never really been explained to me.
Reply 50
Original post by romansholiday

You can only put one PS on UCAS, but you can send other statements directly to the universities you want to apply to for other courses. One of my friends did this.

Just make sure that you put all your choices on UCAS before you send the form off, because adding them afterwards costs £11 each!
Original post by paddyx
This is slightly misunderstanding what I said. I am very keen on my other choices and not so keen about only one of the schools that I put down on my UCAS form. What to do if I get offered a place at the latter? I accept that any offer is very unlikely but I am just trying to think through the possibilities in advance.

Oh sorry, misunderstood. If you get no other offers but the one place you don't like, and you turn that one down, when you reapply next year there's no way it will affect you applying again to the universities you didn't get into first time around. It only has an effect if you reject a university's offer one year, then apply to them again next year - apparently they blacklist you for doing that. That's what I always got told when I was applying.
Original post by auburnstar
@NeverLucky was a Tourism applicant for London Met

Oh, and Cambridge too :P

I think "applicant" is a bit too far. I prefer the phrase "alternative candidate".
Reply 53
It only has an effect if you reject a university's offer one year, then apply to them again next year - apparently they blacklist you for doing that. That's what I always got told when I was applying.

No they don't.

Universities don't hold grudges...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
No they don't.

Universities don't hold grudges...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just what my head of sixth form and my own university told me when I applied 3 years ago pal, don't shoot the messenger. It's not about 'holding a grudge'. Universities give out a limited number of places a year. They have a rigorous selection process. If you turned them down one year, they're not going to waste their time handing out another offer when it may just get rejected again, and when they have a whole new year's worth of applicants who are likely very eager to get a place. It's common sense really.

Besides, if the only place OP will reject this year is the university they don't actually want to go to, I don't see why this is an issue anyway. It has no effect whatsoever on the likelihood of being accepted at the other unis.
(edited 7 years ago)
The whole point of applying through UCAS is that your choices don't know where else you applied.

Not quite true. The universities know the full facts after a candidate has accepted/declined his/her offers.

Besides, if the only place OP will reject this year is the university they don't actually want to go to, I don't see why this is an issue anyway.

The issue is that the OP might well not get an offer next time around. Any offer for medicine, from anywhere, should not be discarded lightly.
Original post by Good bloke
Not quite true. The universities know the full facts after a candidate has accepted/declined his/her offers.

The issue is that the OP might well not get an offer next time around. Any offer for medicine, from anywhere, should not be discarded lightly.

First point - correct me if I'm wrong, but if this were the case what would be the point of UCAS? Universities never find out who else you applied to. It would bring about all sorts of problems. The only way they can get an *idea* of where else you applied is if you sent in your application before the 'early bird' deadline, so then they'll know you're an Oxbridge candidate, but with Medicine this is irrelevant anyway.

Second point - I totally agree. Even if OP only got an offer at the university they didn't like, getting into Medicine anywhere is a big achievement. I think it would need some reeeally careful consideration before turning this place down - and trying to get enthusiastic about this place even if it's the last choice on the list. If OP only gets an offer to somewhere they don't want to go to, just don't apply there again next year, apply somewhere else instead (Sorry OP if you're reading this that I'm talking about and not to you!! :smile: )
(edited 7 years ago)
First point - correct me if I'm wrong,

You are wrong.
Reply 59
Just what my head of sixth form and my own university told me when I applied 3 years ago pal, don't shoot the messenger. It's not about 'holding a grudge'. Universities give out a limited number of places a year. They have a rigorous selection process. If you turned them down one year, they're not going to waste their time handing out another offer when it may just get rejected again, and when they have a whole new year's worth of applicants who are likely very eager to get a place. It's common sense really.

Besides, if the only place OP will reject this year is the university they don't actually want to go to, I don't see why this is an issue anyway. It has no effect whatsoever on the likelihood of being accepted at the other unis.

I'm not your pal.

Your 2nd paragraph is entirely correct. Except the issue for medicine is the chance of receiving no offers at all is very high. Getting just one and then rejecting it would be shortsighted.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending