The Student Room Group

History Controlled Assessment

Does anyone have any tips on how to achieve highly in Part B of the Edexcel B controlled assessment? (Have on Monday)

My question is:

How much impact did US Presidents have in changing civil rights for black Americans in the years 1945–63?

What techniques generally score higher marks?

Many thanks,

David
GCSE or alevel?

For/against
Make your point----
Analysis... this reinforces the idea that.... this exemplifies that ....
Examples/Evidence/SOURCE- president .... stated on.... the New Yorker stated.....
Evaluate at the end- therefore, however
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by lulucoco98
GCSE or alevel?

For/against
Analysis... this reinforces the idea that.... this exemplifies that ....
Examples/Evidence- president .... stated on.... the New Yorker stated.....
Evaluate at the end- therefore, however

Thank you for the swift reply. This is at GCSE level. Appreciate the response. Any idea on how many sources should be used? :biggrin:
Original post by dxvid
Thank you for the swift reply. This is at GCSE level. Appreciate the response. Any idea on how many sources should be used? :biggrin:

A good amount of sources should be used but don't overflow with sources you still need to bring in info and stuff- I think I was told to use 7/8 at gcse but that was a long time ago!! Hope this helps
A good amount of sources should be used but don't overflow with sources you still need to bring in info and stuff- I think I was told to use 7/8 at gcse but that was a long time ago!! Hope this helps

Thanks! Any other recommendations for the final exams? Need a B in order to pursue Politics next year :/
Reply 5
Original post by dxvid
Does anyone have any tips on how to achieve highly in Part B of the Edexcel B controlled assessment? (Have on Monday)

My question is:

How much impact did US Presidents have in changing civil rights for black Americans in the years 1945–63?

Many thanks,

David

Use as many sources as possibl to back up your argument but always make sure you're argument stays clear throughout your essay. Make sure to mention (NOT intoo detail) of other possible reasons and methods that changed civil rights for black americans and then say how the US Presidents compare with this.
This is what I did, but I didn't do Edexcel, but essay structure should be the same regardless of anything tbh.
Original post by dxvid
Thanks! Any other recommendations for the final exams? Need a B in order to pursue Politics next year :/

Are you doing medicine and American west- there's this great teacher online called revisegcsehistory on YouTube!! I used that and did well!!
Original post by Dizgurl
Use as many sources as possibl to back up your argument but always make sure you're argument stays clear throughout your essay. Make sure to mention (NOT intoo detail) of other possible reasons and methods that changed civil rights for black americans and then say how the US Presidents compare with this.
This is what I did, but I didn't do Edexcel, but essay structure should be the same regardless of anything tbh.

Thank you, do you think that I should do 2 for and 2 against or a pro and con for each president? That would be either 5 paragraphs or 9 respectively. Have an hour to write it up either way but option 2 makes it easier to analysis.
Are you doing medicine and American west- there's this great teacher online called revisegcsehistory on YouTube!! I used that and did well!!

Unfortunately not, Civil Rights in America
Reply 9
Original post by dxvid
Thank you, do you think that I should do 2 for and 2 against or a pro and con for each president? That would be either 5 paragraphs or 9 respectively. Have an hour to write it up either way but option 2 makes it easier to analysis.

It's better to make less points but analyze them in more depth than vice versa
Original post by Dizgurl
It's better to make less points but analyze them in more depth than vice versa

Fair enough! That's what I'll go with; either methods can achieve full marks.
Original post by dxvid

My question is:

Many thanks,

David

Are you in year 11 or 10?
Original post by That'sGreat
Are you in year 11 or 10?

Quick Reply

Latest