The Student Room Group

c4 parametric help

Find and classify, the stationary points on the curves with parametric equations using first differential method. x=t^2 and y=t^3 -3t
dy/dx= 3t^2-3/2t

The stationary points are (1,2) when t =-1 and when t=1 the stationary point is (1,-2). The problem I'm having is when using first differential method I get that the points are inflection points, however this is wrong and they should be maximum and minimum points. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
It may be useful to show your workings.
Reply 2
Original post by gooner1010
Find and classify, the stationary points on the curves with parametric equations using first differential method. x=t^2 and y=t^3 -3t
dy/dx= 3t^2-3/2t

The stationary points are (1,2) when t =-1 and when t=1 the stationary point is (1,-2). The problem I'm having is when using first differential method I get that the points are inflection points, however this is wrong and they should be maximum and minimum points. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Don't you mean second?
dy/dx= 3t^2-3/2t

Thanks

How did you test your stationary points?
Reply 4
Original post by h3rmit
Don't you mean second?

I tried second and I got the correct answer however the questions says use the first differential
Reply 5
I tried second and I got the correct answer however the questions says use the first differential

Also for the spec im doing, they only expect you to know first differential
Reply 6

That works too, with t=.9 and t=1.1, then the negatives
Reply 7
Original post by h3rmit

is there a specific range when using first differential method? I tried 0.5 and 1.5
Reply 8
is there a specific range when using first differential method? I tried 0.5 and 1.5

As close to the point you're using as possible is generally good idea, usually 0.1 or less away
Reply 9
Original post by h3rmit

When I put 0.9 I get a negative value and 1.1 get a positive value, wouldn't that be a point of inflection?
Reply 10
When I put 0.9 I get a negative value and 1.1 get a positive value, wouldn't that be a point of inflection?

No, positve on both sides or negative on both sides would be a point of inflection. Positive on one side and negative on the other means it's a turning point, like the hump of a cubic
Reply 11
Original post by h3rmit
No, positve on both sides or negative on both sides would be a point of inflection. Positive on one side and negative on the other means it's a turning point, like the hump of a cubic

ahhh, I've got it now. Thankyou for the help:smile::biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest