The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Gaming in UON

I'm enrolling in September 2017 and I plan to bring a PC with me so I can game in my free time but the IT dept said many gaming services will not work on the campus wifi.

Does anybody know what does work?
Does steam or battle.net work?
I need to know lol
Reply 1
Original post by Abdullah2167
I'm enrolling in September 2017 and I plan to bring a PC with me so I can game in my free time but the IT dept said many gaming services will not work on the campus wifi.

I need to know lol

my boyfriend lived on campus last year and steam worked fine for him.
I'd recommend brining a laptop too (if you have one) as PC can be a pain in the ass if you want to study somehwere else other than your room
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Nottie
my boyfriend lived on campus last year and steam worked fine for him.
I'd recommend brining a laptop too (if you have one) as PC can be a pain in the ass if you want to study somehwere else other than your room

Thanks for the good news lol
Some gaming services don't work on Eduroam but Steam is fine with a wired connection and using a VPN seems to work for everything else.
Reply 4
Original post by FerrousS
Some gaming services don't work on Eduroam but Steam is fine with a wired connection and using a VPN seems to work for everything else.

Thanks mate
Reply 5

I need to know lol

What are your pc specs? (Just curious)
Reply 6
Original post by Houthi6
What are your pc specs? (Just curious)

As of right now I'm on console but I'm planning to upgrade to PC and paying for it with a scholarship I'm aiming to get. (£3000 for AAA).

Unsure about the specs yet since I'm not sure whether to get a laptop or PC but if possible I want a GTX 1060 or 1050TI, an i5 at least and 16Gb of RAM. That's the basic idea I guess but I'll send you my full parts list when I get the cash lol.
Reply 7
As of right now I'm on console but I'm planning to upgrade to PC and paying for it with a scholarship I'm aiming to get. (£3000 for AAA).

Unsure about the specs yet since I'm not sure whether to get a laptop or PC but if possible I want a GTX 1060 or 1050TI, an i5 at least and 16Gb of RAM. That's the basic idea I guess but I'll send you my full parts list when I get the cash lol.

I expect CPU prices to drop soon due to AMD's new CPU launch, and deffo go with at least a GTX 1060.

I can send you a part list if you want.
Original post by FerrousS

Guessing you're a student at Nottingham, what's the wifi like in halls ?
Original post by matty_th0mas
Guessing you're a student at Nottingham, what's the wifi like in halls ?

It's alright. Not the fastest and does go down occasionally, as well as the issues with games already discussed, but it's not too bad. It's eduroam, specifically.
thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending