The Student Room Group

Please help understanding entry requirements!

I want to apply for Scandinavian Studies but I’m from Spain and the grading system is very confusing. In my country the GCE is called Bachillerato and we select between Arts, Science, Social Studies and Humanities (the one I’m going to choose). In Humanities you don’t study Math or any kind of Science, but Greek and Latin. Searching for the requirements I’ve found this: “A language other than English at Grade B (if not at Higher), English at Grade C and Mathematics or an approved science at Grade C.”. I understand this is not my grading system and my requirements are probably slightly different, but Math? I can't mix science and humanities and I don't think the requirement for Scandinavian Studies are Biology and Maths. Is it enough if I've passed maths in GCSE? I've tried to contact the admission department but they don't answer. Please help!
Reply 1
Original post by anamp01
I want to apply for Scandinavian Studies but I’m from Spain and the grading system is very confusing. In my country the GCE is called Bachillerato and we select between Arts, Science, Social Studies and Humanities (the one I’m going to choose). In Humanities you don’t study Math or any kind of Science, but Greek and Latin. Searching for the requirements I’ve found this: “A language other than English at Grade B (if not at Higher), English at Grade C and Mathematics or an approved science at Grade C.”. I understand this is not my grading system and my requirements are probably slightly different, but Math? I can't mix science and humanities and I don't think the requirement for Scandinavian Studies are Biology and Maths. Is it enough if I've passed maths in GCSE? I've tried to contact the admission department but they don't answer. Please help!

Which university is this for? Or link to the requirement page where you read this.

The maths requirement is possibly at GCSE (age 15/16) level, not A-level or equivalent. And even then may not apply to non UK applicants.

Also are you applying for entry in 2017? If so you have missed the main deadline.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by anamp01
University of Edinburgh http://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/undergraduate/degrees/index.php?action=programme&code=RV61 even though I've heard it's pretty difficult to get accepted

Oh, no I will finish school in two years but I have to do research for a project about what we want to study

It says:
"SQA Highers: ABBB by end of S5 or ABBBB/AABB from S4-S6. A language other than English preferred.
National 5: A language other than English at Grade B (if not at Higher), English at Grade C and Mathematics or an approved science at Grade C.

A Levels: ABB preferably including a language other than English.
GCSEs: A language other than English at Grade B (if not at A Level), English at Grade C and Mathematics or an approved science at Grade C."

So as I thought the Maths requirement is at GCSE level not A-level. Scottish "Nationals" are GCSE level.
Reply 3
Original post by jneill
It says:
"SQA Highers: ABBB by end of S5 or ABBBB/AABB from S4-S6. A language other than English preferred.
National 5: A language other than English at Grade B (if not at Higher), English at Grade C and Mathematics or an approved science at Grade C.

A Levels: ABB preferably including a language other than English.
GCSEs: A language other than English at Grade B (if not at A Level), English at Grade C and Mathematics or an approved science at Grade C."

So as I thought the Maths requirement is at GCSE level not A-level. Scottish "Nationals" are GCSE level.

Oh perfect, thank you so much. One more thing, when it says "A language other than English at Grade B (if not at Higher)" Higher is equivalent to A Levels, right? If I haven't study a second language at GCSEs I can study it in A Levels and I would still meet the criteria
Sorry if it's a silly question haha
Reply 4
Original post by anamp01
Oh perfect, thank you so much. One more thing, when it says "A language other than English at Grade B (if not at Higher)" Higher is equivalent to A Levels, right? If I haven't study a second language at GCSEs I can study it in A Levels and I would still meet the criteria

"Higher" is sort of equivalent to AS-level. "Advanced Higher" is more like an A-level (neither are directly comparable though).

And yes :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending