The Student Room Group

9-1 Maths

My school has made us do some specimen papers and I think my school is doing bad overall. My class average would be like 30%. I just wanted to know if everyone is doing bad and the papers are bad or is it just my school. What type of results are you all getting?

Scroll to see replies

In our school, pretty much everyone is doing bad. We are in year 11 and doing edexcel, one of the hardest. Even in the top set, a lot of people got a u. The range in the highest set was 30-60% and in the rest of the year, it was a lot lower than that. Some even got 5% and one boy in my class got 1 mark!
My class gets from grades 3-5.
Reply 3
It seems like everyone on TSR is saying their school is doing badly. I guess that's good for us all though because if that happens in the real thing the grade boundaries will be lower :u:
Original post by theuglymeme
My school has made us do some specimen papers and I think my school is doing bad overall. My class average would be like 30%. I just wanted to know if everyone is doing bad and the papers are bad or is it just my school. What type of results are you all getting?

I didn't find it too bad.

I watched a YouTube markscheme and I probably got something in the region of 76-78 in Paper 1, and 72-74 in Paper 2 (silly mistakes, people would probably laugh out loud about how imbecilic they were), being fairly harsh. I've yet to do Paper 3.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by _gcx

I watched a YouTube markscheme and I probably got something in the region of 76-78 in Paper 1, and 72-74 in Paper 2 (silly mistakes, people would probably laugh out loud about how imbecilic they were), being fairly harsh. I've yet to do Paper 3.

Are you normally good at maths? I got 73% overall which was alright compared to my school results but I'm guessing that would be a low 7 in the actual exam
Reply 6
Original post by e2014
It seems like everyone on TSR is saying their school is doing badly. I guess that's good for us all though because if that happens in the real thing the grade boundaries will be lower :u:

Hopefully but what if we all do bad too lmao
Original post by _gcx

That is actually quite impressive. Which exam board are you doing, because I have heard some are easier than others (I am doing edexcel). How do you revise?
Reply 8
Hopefully but what if we all do bad too lmao

Yeah but if we do badly and so does everyone else, the grade boundaries will still be low meaning that a lower mark will correlate to a higher grade, if that makes sense.
I guess the majority of my Maths set is an anomaly compared to the rest of the school and the country.

Almost everyone in out set gets 90% plus in all 3 papers (AQA), which should be equivalent to a 9, whilst the rest of our school seems to be achieving about 66% or below.
Reply 10
Original post by _gcx

I don't see how 74/80 and the word imbecilic can coexist. :eek4: that's amazing!
Original post by e2014
Yeah but if we do badly and so does everyone else, the grade boundaries will still be low meaning that a lower mark will correlate to a higher grade, if that makes sense.

Yes I know what you mean but I meant that even if grade boundaries are low, some people would still fail and lets hope we are not them
Are you normally good at maths? I got 73% overall which was alright compared to my school results but I'm guessing that would be a low 7 in the actual exam

You could say so. I am in a minority, note. The majority of my friends found the non-calculator absolutely horrible, with some only answering the first few questions. A mark in my region would be an almost guaranteed 9. I wouldn't be suprised to see your mark equated to an 8, to be honest.
Reply 13
Yes I know what you mean but I meant that even if grade boundaries are low, some people would still fail and lets hope we are not them

Aaaah true. Don't worry, we'll be okay. The fact that we're even on TSR discussing it is a candid demonstration of our abilities and determinations so with consistent hard work, we'll do as well as we want to. :smile:
Original post by e2014
I don't see how 74/80 and the word imbecilic can coexist. :eek4: that's amazing!

Misdrawing the line of best fit and getting the estimate question completely wrong isn't the most respectable of mistakes, lol.
Original post by Emmy_Girl
That is actually quite impressive. Which exam board are you doing, because I have heard some are easier than others (I am doing edexcel). How do you revise?

Edexcel.

I revised primarily using worksheets on JustMaths.
Reply 16
Original post by _gcx
Misdrawing the line of best fit and getting the estimate question completely wrong isn't the most respectable of mistakes, lol.

I don't remember the mock but regardless of how respectable you believe your mistakes to be, they're rather irrelevant when the mark is considered. Do you have any advice for revision and exam success?
I did get 49% on the Edexcel (Higher), but kind of gave up in the first paper as it was the most difficult. I didn't revise properly either so I guess that is something that I can work on. According to what everyone at my school is saying, edexcel is a lot harder compared to AQA, but I am not entirely sure.

EDIT: This is a really stupid question but I need to know. I am doing higher, so do I revise grades 1-4 as well a 5-9, or only 5-9?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 18
I did a PiXL maths mock last Christmas and got 69/80, 73/80 and 77/80 which equated to a 9. One of my friends got about 15 marks lower than me in total and also got a 9, based on national averages for the PiXL paper. The scores mentioned here would be around an 8 I'd say...?
Last term, all of the schools in my area took the same paper, so that rough grade boundaries could be calculated. This paper was out of 80. The grade boundaries that I remember were:

63/80 = 9 and 54/80 = 8.

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply

Latest