The Student Room Group

6th form approval - worried.

So, I was recently called into the deputy heads office for bad mouthing the school using forms of social media.
I said i wouldn't do it again and that I'm very sorry about it, and i was able to go without any sort of punishment (i think?).
I am currently in Year 11, and have to decide for a 6th form or college. I picked my schools sixth form as i wanted to stay in a familiar environment. Who wouldn't?

But after my run-in with the deputy head i am worried about my application getting approved. As i have had 100% attendence and have had no other issues with behaviour or anything like this before, will i still get accepted into this sixth form.

Please reply with what you think.

All replies appreciated.
Be kind - first post (I'm just really worried and wanted some help)! :smile:
Act like an adult and ask the head of sixth or the deputy head if it will be an issue? If it isn't then great, if it is then you'll have plenty of time to find somewhere else. They will appreciate the proactive initiative about finding out, though realistically it's not going to be an issue. You didn't beat anyone up or set fire to the school.
(edited 7 years ago)
I would also like to add that he commented about other posts that he found good (i.e not about the school). Are teachers allowed to thoroughly check every part of a students social media account?
Original post by Glassapple
Act like an adult and ask the head of sixth or the deputy head if it will be an issue? If it isn't then great, if it is then you'll have plenty of time to find somewhere else. They will appreciate the proactive initiative about finding out, though, realistically its not going to be an issue. You didn't beat anyone up or set fire to the school.

Thank you so much for the reply. You have put my mind at rest. I agree, the school has bigger things to worry about other than a few social media posts. smh.

Thanks again for the response (y)
Original post by Sunflowers4life
I would also like to add that he commented about other posts that he found good (i.e not about the school). Are teachers allowed to thoroughly check every part of a students social media account?

If you were silly enough to not set your timeline to private, then yes of course they're allowed to look. It's public information to be legally seen by anybody, including your teacher, if it hasn't been set to private. Anything you post without privacy settings is in the public domain and you have no rights to that information at all.

Original post by Sunflowers4life
Thank you so much for the reply. You have put my mind at rest. I agree, the school has bigger things to worry about other than a few social media posts. smh. Thanks again for the response (y)

You're welcome, don't worry. Set everything to private from now on to not get into any more trouble.
If you post something openly on SM then anyone can read it. You definitely need to get your head around that for future jobs etc.

Just ask the head of 6th form, I doubt that a one off behaviour even will affect whether they let you stay on.
Original post by doodle_333
If you post something openly on SM then anyone can read it. You definitely need to get your head around that for future jobs etc.

Just ask the head of 6th form, I doubt that a one off behaviour even will affect whether they let you stay on.

I agree

Quick Reply