The Student Room Group

Casual homophobia

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tazarooni89
A long way to go until what?

Part of what makes up a liberal, progressive society is the fact that people are free to make whatever comments or hold whatever views they like.

I really don't agree. I would say that there are things that people shouldn't be allowed to say, and views that shouldn't be tolerated. For instance, I don't think you should be 'free' to say "all Catholics should be burnt at the stake", or say that you wanted to f*ck a 12 year old.

Original post by epoddoulc
You can't force people to accept homosexuality. What if I started to have sex with animals then ranted against people who disagreed with my sexuality? You can see where I'm coming from.

Homosexuality is not NORMAL, so society won't accept it as normal.

I hope you can understand.

Well this is just not very sensible. For a start, let's make a distinction between having sex with animals, and having sex with people. One is human, one is not. The two are not comparable in any way.

Second, what do you mean 'not normal'? Do you mean that it's a minority group? Or that the 'average' person wouldn't fit into this category. Do you then think that, say, Buddhists shouldn't be accepted because they're not 'normal' in the UK? Or white people shouldn't be accepted because, globally, there are more Asians.

What views do you think people can be forced to accept. If I said that it was perfectly fine to murder toddlers, would I have to be forced to change my views? Where do you draw the line?
(edited 7 years ago)
You can't force people to accept homosexuality. What if I started to have sex with animals then ranted against people who disagreed with my sexuality? You can see where I'm coming from.

Could you actually come up with a decent argument please? This one is so tired and done to death.Animals cannot consent to sex.Its also harmful to animals.So the two are not even slightly comparable.
Original post by Robby2312
Could you actually come up with a decent argument please? This one is so tired and done to death.Animals cannot consent to sex.Its also harmful to animals.So the two are not even slightly comparable.

Sex with the same sex can also be harmful and you are more likely to contract an STD. Before political correctness existed, homosexuality was classed as a mental illness. I believe Russia still classes it as an illness.

No I can't see where you are coming from. They are completely different Two adult men can consentually have sex, but can also not offer their consent, and if they have their non-consent ignored and are raped, can defend themselves in a court of law. An animal cannot defend itself in a court of law if it's non-consent was ignored and it was raped. In which case it is not acceptable to have sex with an animal. For that same reason it is not acceptable to have sex with children or people who have severe learning difficulties because they are not able to offer consent.

Nope, I can't understand, because homosexuality is normal and is found throughout nature and has been observed hudreds of other species.

Sex with the same sex can also be harmful and you are more likely to contract an STD.

So too can engaging in heterosexual sex without taking the necessary precautions.

But that's just homosexual actions not the actual attraction... those other boys could easily have grown up to be gay or bisexual themselves

How do you know they weren't actually attracted to them? Why can they not have grown up to be heterosexual? To go back to my anecdotal evidence again, I most certainly was attracted to people of the same gender during my years of puberty, yet I am a heterosexual man. Are you saying my attraction wasn't real? How can you say that with such certainty?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by The Epicurean
No I can't see where you are coming from. They are completely different Two adult men can consentually have sex, but can also not offer their consent, and if they have their non-consent ignored and are raped, can defend themselves in a court of law. An animal cannot defend itself in a court of law if it's non-consent was ignored and it was raped. In which case it is not acceptable to have sex with an animal. For that same reason it is not acceptable to have sex with children or people who have severe learning difficulties because they are not able to offer consent.

Nope, I can't understand, because homosexuality is normal and is found throughout nature and has been observed hudreds of other species.

So too can engaging in heterosexual sex without taking the necessary precautions.

If homosexuality was normal, homosexuals would be able to reproduce.

If it's not normal,then I don't want to be normal.You and normal can both go **** yourselves quite frankly.

If infertility was normal, infertile people would be able to reproduce.
If it's not normal,then I don't want to be normal.You and normal can both go **** yourselves quite frankly.

I personally have nothing against LGBT people but I'm trying to explain it from someone else's point of view. Discrimination is wrong

The "survival of the fittest" theory fits here, infertile animals and homosexuals would be most likely to die first (in nature)
The "survival of the fittest" theory fits here, infertile animals and homosexuals would be most likely to die first (in nature)

So would the elderly.

The Gay Uncle Hypothesis proposes that homosexuality can indeed increase the chances of survival of offspring in an environment of "survival of the fittest" and ensure the genes that lead to homosexuality pass on to the next generation.
(edited 7 years ago)

Infertility is not normal though?
So would the elderly.

The Gay Uncle Hypothesis proposes that homosexuality can indeed increase the chances of survival of offspring in an environment of "survival of the fittest" and ensure the genes that lead to homosexuality pass on to the next generation.

Not a single well known scientist has even glanced at that hypothesis
Not a single well known scientist has even glanced at that hypothesis

They have - at that hypothesis, and more
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biology_and_sexual_orientation#Sexual_orientation_and_evolution

Also, basing what's a good idea sexually on whether it leads to reproduction is a pretty base view of life and it's goals, and will also contribute to overpopulation
Original post by Dheorl
Are you honestly saying you've never done something out of nothing more than curiosity?

Maybe I've tried a new food, listened to a new song, watched a new movie or something based on curiosity, yes. I can't say I've ever felt the need to try and shag someone I had absolutely zero attraction to just because I was curious. I think alot of people would agree with that.
Original post by Shadow2009
Maybe I've tried a new food, listened to a new song, watched a new movie or something based on curiosity, yes. I can't say I've ever felt the need to try and shag someone I had absolutely zero attraction to just because I was curious. I think alot of people would agree with that.

Equally though a lot wouldn't. There's vast swathes of people out there who wouldn't think any more to sleeping with someone than they would to having a sandwich with them. Hell, probably some even less, because in bed they don't have to open their mouths and reveal how shite their personality is.
Original post by Lonesome_Penguin
I really don't agree. I would say that there are things that people shouldn't be allowed to say, and views that shouldn't be tolerated. For instance, I don't think you should be 'free' to say "all Catholics should be burnt at the stake", or say that you wanted to f*ck a 12 year old.

I think everyone agrees that "freedom of speech" does not include the freedom to incite acts of hatred. An influential person should not publicly say "all Catholics should be burnt at the stake" lest people take his words seriously and actually start doing it.

But that doesn't really go anywhere near the issue we're talking about in this thread, e.g. pejoratively saying about something, "that's so gay". The thread refers to "casual homophobia" as opposed to actual persecution of homosexuals.
Maybe because it's pointless arguing with someone who never admits they are wrong.It gets boring.You probably know multiple people who have changed sexuality because religious people tend to pressure people into stuff.In highly religious and traditional societies a gay man will marry a woman and have kids.He has not become straight though.He is still gay but is just married to a woman.He is effectively suppressing his sexuality simply to conform to society.As for animal testing I was responding to the other guy who said to Google sexuality changing.All I could find was some stuff about mice changing sexuality when sprayed with a hormone.That proves nothing.Effects in mice do not always reflect effects in humans.What is carcinogenic in rats for example is not always so in humans and vice versa.

Funny because you just described yourself.

Again, citing some random crap that has nothing to do with me is irrelevant.

I know one atheist that hates Christian and changed sexualitybut is friends because I never ran from their debates and have thus broken down most of their misconceptions of Christianity.

Many liberals today who want nothing to do with Christianity say sexuality is fluid along with gender so you're actually oppressing them by saying it can't change.

I also know 3 (now) Christians that were previously adamant on being gay and proud and somehow had an overnight transformation. 2 of them had also cut off contact from their parents.
Original post by StudyJosh
Funny because you just described yourself.

Again, citing some random crap that has nothing to do with me is irrelevant.

I know one atheist that hates Christian and changed sexualitybut is friends because I never ran from their debates and have thus broken down most of their misconceptions of Christianity.

Many liberals today who want nothing to do with Christianity say sexuality is fluid along with gender so you're actually oppressing them by saying it can't change.

I also know 3 (now) Christians that were previously adamant on being gay and proud and somehow had an overnight transformation. 2 of them had also cut off contact from their parents.

I don't have any misconceptions of Christianity.I know exactly what it's about.Just because I disagree with it you think I must have misconceptions.No I disagree with it because I know it for what it is.I'm not oppressing liberals who say sexuality is fluid.I don't think it is and there is more evidence that it's not.A lot of people experiment when they are younger but that is not changing sexuality,that is more like discovering what your true sexuality actually is.Those Christians have had an overnight transformation because obviously they decided to become Christians.As Christianity is generally pretty homophobic they feel they cannot be gay openly.So they're pretending to be straight for the sake of "God" or they are just deceiving themselves that they are "cured". Maybe they also wanted to talk to their parents again and the easiest way to do so is to say they are straight?

If sexuality can be changed so easily don't you think someone may have thought of that when they started attaching pink triangles to people? If it can be changed then why is the rate of suicide among gay youth 3 times higher than the rest of the population? Surely they would just say "I know let's just be straight,that will solve everything".Why would people go through all that persecution and self loathing just for something they can easily change? Have you tried changing sexuality? Lets see how far you get with that one.
I don't have any misconceptions of Christianity.I know exactly what it's about.Just because I disagree with it you think I must have misconceptions.No I disagree with it because I know it for what it is.I'm not oppressing liberals who say sexuality is fluid.I don't think it is and there is more evidence that it's not.A lot of people experiment when they are younger but that is not changing sexuality,that is more like discovering what your true sexuality actually is.Those Christians have had an overnight transformation because obviously they decided to become Christians.As Christianity is generally pretty homophobic they feel they cannot be gay openly.So they're pretending to be straight for the sake of "God" or they are just deceiving themselves that they are "cured". Maybe they also wanted to talk to their parents again and the easiest way to do so is to say they are straight?

If sexuality can be changed so easily don't you think someone may have thought of that when they started attaching pink triangles to people? If it can be changed then why is the rate of suicide among gay youth 3 times higher than the rest of the population? Surely they would just say "I know let's just be straight,that will solve everything".Why would people go through all that persecution and self loathing just for something they can easily change? Have you tried changing sexuality? Lets see how far you get with that one.

I already debunked most of your misconceptions earlier. The liberal oppression thing was a joke.

You come in with more assumptions. You didn't address the atheist I know who changed sexuality - this is not "experimentation" no matter how much you try and pretend it is.

Christianity is not "homophobic" either and there's no need for them to pretend to be straight if there weren't pretending before. You're the only one deceiving yourself - they're still not in contact with their parents either because of the way their parents treated them so nice flop.

Just because sexuality can be changed doesn't mean it can be changed at will for everyone or changed easily.

Nice try though.
Original post by StudyJosh
I already debunked most of your misconceptions earlier. The liberal oppression thing was a joke.

You come in with more assumptions. You didn't address the atheist I know who changed sexuality - this is not "experimentation" no matter how much you try and pretend it is.

Christianity is not "homophobic" either and there's no need for them to pretend to be straight if there weren't pretending before. You're the only one deceiving yourself - they're still not in contact with their parents either because of the way their parents treated them so nice flop.

Just because sexuality can be changed doesn't mean it can be changed at will for everyone or changed easily.

Nice try though.

You debunked nothing.How is it not homophobic? Catholics teach that gay people are "intrinsically disordered".The church has been persecuting homosexuals for centuries.You're here trying to convince me that you can change sexuality because it would fit with your Christian view that homosexuality is wrong. That is called homophobia no matter how you try to dress it up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending