The Student Room Group

Respirometer

Hi in my ccea textbook for as bio, it says about respirometer exp in calculating oxygen and co2 production respectively. However it gives this additional note which I can't understand. Please explain the last bit. Thanks.

"Temperature needs to be controlled for two main reasons. It will affect the respiration rate (and hence oxygen and carbon dioxide production) and if VARIABLE CAN CAUSE CHANGES IN THE GAS VOLUME DUE TO EXPANSION OR CONTRACTION. "

what does this last point mean? What expansion? Please help!

Revisionlad
Original post by revisionlad
Hi in my ccea textbook for as bio, it says about respirometer exp in calculating oxygen and co2 production respectively. However it gives this additional note which I can't understand. Please explain the last bit. Thanks.

"Temperature needs to be controlled for two main reasons. It will affect the respiration rate (and hence oxygen and carbon dioxide production) and if VARIABLE CAN CAUSE CHANGES IN THE GAS VOLUME DUE TO EXPANSION OR CONTRACTION. "

what does this last point mean? What expansion? Please help!

Revisionlad

Ever heard of Charles's Law? Volume of a gas is proportional to temperature, increase the temperature and you increase the volume (expansion). That is what it means
Original post by AortaStudyMore
Ever heard of Charles's Law? Volume of a gas is proportional to temperature, increase the temperature and you increase the volume (expansion). That is what it means

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending