The Student Room Group

Driving with a worn wheel bearing - Citroen C2

Hi guys,

Recently, I have noticed my car starting to make loud noises coming from the front of the car. I have done a bit of research and come to the conclusion it is my front right wheel as when I turn left the noise goes. Also a few people have said the same.

Anyway, I would like to know how long I can drive in this condition whilst still being safe?
My car doesn't wobble, shake or anything like that, just the loud noise when I go over 35/40 mph.

Also, does anyone know how much it would cost to fix this issue (inc. labour), roughly?

Thanks!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Wheel bearings are dangerous to drive on once they wear down and start making noise.

What engine size and year is your C2?
Original post by IWMTom
Wheel bearings are dangerous to drive on once they wear down and start making noise.

What engine size and year is your C2?

So you'd say get it fixed soon as? I've been driving on it for a few days now!
And my car is 05 reg and a 1.1 size engine
Reply 3
Original post by RichardR21
So you'd say get it fixed soon as? I've been driving on it for a few days now!
And my car is 05 reg and a 1.1 size engine

I'd definitely get it inspected so you know for sure, and then get it repaired. My best advice is to stop driving it. You're looking at max £150 for a single front wheel bearing fully fitted.
Original post by IWMTom
I'd definitely get it inspected so you know for sure, and then get it repaired. My best advice is to stop driving it. You're looking at max £150 for a single front wheel bearing fully fitted.

Wow. A lot more than what I expected! Yeah I'll be stopping driving I think untill then!
Thank you
Reply 5
Wow. A lot more than what I expected! Yeah I'll be stopping driving I think untill then!
Thank you

It's majority labour costs tbf, they have to use a special tool too. The parts themselves are only about 20 quid.
Original post by IWMTom
It's majority labour costs tbf, they have to use a special tool too. The parts themselves are only about 20 quid.

Wow really?! Okay thanks for that!
As the noise has just started coming, I should be ok to drive for a few more days before I get it booked in shouldn't I: without doing too much harm
Reply 7
Wow really?! Okay thanks for that!
As the noise has just started coming, I should be ok to drive for a few more days before I get it booked in shouldn't I: without doing too much harm

You really shouldn't drive at all; if it's making noise, it could fall off. That's not a joke.
Reply 8
I had a similar issue to you, kept driving it for 3 weeks before the noise almost killed me lol. I read up and thought it might be a wheel bearing. Got it to the garage, it wasn't that at all, was actually the brake pads making noises as the wheel was rotating and turning.

Don't assume that you know anything about the car, don't "conclude" what it might be. Just take it to a garage. If your car is making noises then you need to get it looked at asap. Worry about the cost once you know what the problem is and if youre able to leave it. It could be a LOT worse than you think it is (or it might not be a serious problem at all)
Reply 9
If the noise goes away when you turn left, it's the left wheel bearing. It could also be the rear one, but if the sound is coming from the front then it's probably that.

Your wheel isn't going to fall off if the noise has just started. I've put a thousand or so miles on a wheel bearing before after it's started making a noise and it was fine. For the wheel to fall off it would need to pull the CV joint through the hub which ain't gunna happen. Total failure of a wheel bearing is pretty rare, they'll keep on going while making a racket for quite a while.

It's still better to get it checked out sooner rather than later. £150 seems exorbitant but I guess it depends where you go. The "special tool" is a hydraulic press which any shop should have, even a back street garage.
Reply 10
Original post by Nuffles
It's still better to get it checked out sooner rather than later. £150 seems exorbitant but I guess it depends where you go. The "special tool" is a hydraulic press which any shop should have, even a back street garage.

Just to butt in here, I did say £150 maximum, knowing that ClickMechanic overcharge to ****, and that's what they quoted for OPs car. When I mentioned the special tool, I did so to emphasise that it'd have to be a garage that did the job as it's unlikely OP has a press. :P
Original post by IWMTom
Just to butt in here, I did say £150 maximum, knowing that ClickMechanic overcharge to ****, and that's what they quoted for OPs car. When I mentioned the special tool, I did so to emphasise that it'd have to be a garage that did the job as it's unlikely OP has a press. :P

Eh, you can do it with a screwdriver, big hammer, a couple of sockets and a bench vice if you fancy DIYing it. It is a lot easier with a press though..
Reply 12
Original post by Nuffles
Eh, you can do it with a screwdriver, big hammer, a couple of sockets and a bench vice if you fancy DIYing it. It is a lot easier with a press though..

Touché, much much simpler to just have a professional do it though - mind you, you can pick up a cheap 6-ton press for about £50.
Ooooh that's interesting ! Definitely! I'll do that then, I am 99% sure it is the wheel bearing but I won't rule anything out! Thanks for that!

Original post by Treeroy
I had a similar issue to you, kept driving it for 3 weeks before the noise almost killed me lol. I read up and thought it might be a wheel bearing. Got it to the garage, it wasn't that at all, was actually the brake pads making noises as the wheel was rotating and turning.

Don't assume that you know anything about the car, don't "conclude" what it might be. Just take it to a garage. If your car is making noises then you need to get it looked at asap. Worry about the cost once you know what the problem is and if youre able to leave it. It could be a LOT worse than you think it is (or it might not be a serious problem at all)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending