The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Interview on 15/02/17

Applied for Chemical Engineering at Imperial College London

I'm in the last group of people they are interviewing and was wondering if anyone could give some advice on interview questions and overall experience if you've sat an interview. Kind of nervous since I am quite shocked that I even got an interview since i'm a resit and I got BBC in my A2 grades. Also for future applicants feel free to ask questions!!!

Scroll to see replies

Damn you must've nailed your personal statement or something.

They'll most likely ask a few text book questions, clarification in an area of your personal statement, and obvious questions like 'Why Imperial' or 'Where do you see yourself after Imperial'.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by anika98
Applied for Chemical Engineering at Imperial College London

I'm in the last group of people they are interviewing and was wondering if anyone could give some advice on interview questions and overall experience if you've sat an interview. Kind of nervous since I am quite shocked that I even got an interview since i'm a resit and I got BBC in my A2 grades. Also for future applicants feel free to ask questions!!!

I was on the last group of people interviewed for physics so that isn't much of a problem. I believe since they invited you to an interview you should have a high chance of being given an offer. Just know your stuff, specially what you've put on your personal statement.
Reply 3
Original post by Stoke123

They'll most likely ask a few text book questions, clarification in an area of your personal statement, and obvious questions like 'Why Imperial' or 'Where do you see yourself after Imperial'.

I have never heard of any one being asked those questions :biggrin: It certainly wasn't my experience :biggrin: It depends on the tutor but I think most people who've gone through the interviews and posted about it online have been asked in one way or another about their personal statement.
Reply 4

Yeh ikr didnt expect it myself!

Why do i want to go imperial tho? What sort of stuff are you suppose to say?
Reply 5
Original post by oShahpo
I was on the last group of people interviewed for physics so that isn't much of a problem. I believe since they invited you to an interview you should have a high chance of being given an offer. Just know your stuff, specially what you've put on your personal statement.

Thanks this is really encouraging :biggrin:
Original post by anika98
Yeh ikr didnt expect it myself!

Why do i want to go imperial tho? What sort of stuff are you suppose to say?

Well if you look at it from their prespective, I think they're curious to why you've applied in the first place.

Either your balls are as big as Arnold schwarzenegger's, or your a really clever and interesting guy.

You need to sell your self to them, and prove your worth more than a BBC by talking about Extra readings into the subject such as articles that fascinated you.
Reply 7
Well if you look at it from their prespective, I think they're curious to why you've applied in the first place.

Either your balls are as big as Arnold schwarzenegger's, or your a really clever and interesting guy.

You need to sell your self to them, and prove your worth more than a BBC by talking about Extra readings into the subject such as articles that fascinated you.

I love how u assumed I'm a guy with complete disregard that I could be a female :wink:

that's hard to explain since i don't think I have many amazing characteristics, plus what extra reading do they expect I didn't mention any in my personal statement.
Original post by anika98
I love how u assumed I'm a guy with complete disregard that I could be a female :wink:

that's hard to explain since i don't think I have many amazing characteristics, plus what extra reading do they expect I didn't mention any in my personal statement.

My apologies if I was wrong :biggrin:

Strangely enough, around only half of the applicants get the chance for an interview so surely you must have some selling points?

Extra reading like articles, higher tier books, biographies etc
You can do it, good luck.
Reply 10
My apologies if I was wrong :biggrin:

Strangely enough, around only half of the applicants get the chance for an interview so surely you must have some selling points?

Extra reading like articles, higher tier books, biographies etc

it's cool dude :smile:

yeh but now Im lost as to why they would want me?
I have done no extra reading whatsoever
I mean I just have the right skills for an engineer so in my ps I wrote about how everything I did related to being an engineer I guess that's why they picked me, how do I sell myself I never know how to do that other than just be myself and be honest
Reply 11
Original post by GalaxyDestroyer
You can do it, good luck.

thanks man :biggrin:
Original post by anika98
it's cool dude :smile:

yeh but now Im lost as to why they would want me?
I have done no extra reading whatsoever
I mean I just have the right skills for an engineer so in my ps I wrote about how everything I did related to being an engineer I guess that's why they picked me, how do I sell myself I never know how to do that other than just be myself and be honest

There 'Skills', I'm assuming practical knowledge that cannot be easily obtained in school which is why they took a keen interest on that point.

If I were you, I'd expect heavy load of questions in that area, as well as extra-curicular activities you do, any extra reading etc.

Think of it as a CV, for the interview you should try cram as much extra's as you can.
Reply 13
Thanks man great help

BTW what do you study? Do you go imperial?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
There 'Skills', I'm assuming practical knowledge that cannot be easily obtained in school which is why they took a keen interest on that point.

If I were you, I'd expect heavy load of questions in that area, as well as extra-curicular activities you do, any extra reading etc.

Think of it as a CV, for the interview you should try cram as much extra's as you can.

Do you study at imperial??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by anika98
Do you study at imperial??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nah, got an offer for BSc Geology :u:
Reply 16
Nah, got an offer for BSc Geology :u:

That's cool where else did you apply?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by anika98
That's cool where else did you apply?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Durham
UCL
Aberdeen
Royal Holloway
Reply 18
Durham
UCL
Aberdeen
Royal Holloway

I applied ucl have they gotten back to you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by anika98
I applied ucl have they gotten back to you

Posted from TSR Mobile

nah they take soooo long to reply its annoying, I heard they'll reply this month fingers crossed :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending