The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Student loan issues

Hello, I've just got an unconditional offer at Cardiff and I have a question. I am an international student (EU) and I studied 2,5 years in my own country but I haven't finished it. Is there any way I can still get a student loan or should I lie and tell that I've never gone to uni?
Whatever you do, do not lie. The ramifications can be very serious - generally ranging from losing your eligibility for funding, up to having to pay back money already borrowed immediately and potentially even a conviction for fraud. This can happen at any time, even after you've already graduated, and as an EU student, there are systems in place that will let them check whether or not you've studied before.

Your actual eligibility depends on whether or not you already hold a qualification at the same level as what you're proposing to study. Given you didn't finish university and studied outside the UK, your qualification may well overlap and it's likely to be a complicated situation, but you should be eligible. I'd advise applying for student finance as soon as possible so that you have plenty of time to sort any issues out, and also post in the student finance forum here where there may be someone experienced in this area able to help you :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Saoirse:3
Whatever you do, do not lie. The ramifications can be very serious - generally ranging from losing your eligibility for funding, up to having to pay back money already borrowed immediately and potentially even a conviction for fraud. This can happen at any time, even after you've already graduated, and as an EU student, there are systems in place that will let them check whether or not you've studied before.

Your actual eligibility depends on whether or not you already hold a qualification at the same level as what you're proposing to study. Given you didn't finish university and studied outside the UK, your qualification may well overlap and it's likely to be a complicated situation, but you should be eligible. I'd advise applying for student finance as soon as possible so that you have plenty of time to sort any issues out, and also post in the student finance forum here where there may be someone experienced in this area able to help you :smile:

Thank you so much for your reply. I guess study counselors in my country don't really know what they are saying, because they told me to lie and that student loan people don't have a way to check it. I am just really scared of not getting a loan:frown: This is my dream school and I worked really hard to get in
Original post by Neverj
Thank you so much for your reply. I guess study counselors in my country don't really know what they are saying, because they told me to lie and that student loan people don't have a way to check it. I am just really scared of not getting a loan:frown: This is my dream school and I worked really hard to get in

I'm afraid so. The EU governments generally co-operate and share information on these issues, and like I said even if you got away with it for now it's just not worth the risk when the consequences are so large and you never know when they might hit you. But again, on paper you should be eligible for the tuition fee loan - the main question being whether or not you got any sort of qualification from your previous study? :smile:

(Hopefully the counsellors have also made clear that it's just the tuition fee loan you'd get: you'll need to fund your own living costs unless your home country's government provides them for you).
Reply 4
Original post by Saoirse:3
I'm afraid so. The EU governments generally co-operate and share information on these issues, and like I said even if you got away with it for now it's just not worth the risk when the consequences are so large and you never know when they might hit you. But again, on paper you should be eligible for the tuition fee loan - the main question being whether or not you got any sort of qualification from your previous study? :smile:

(Hopefully the counsellors have also made clear that it's just the tuition fee loan you'd get: you'll need to fund your own living costs unless your home country's government provides them for you).

Nope, I didn't get any qualifications. Thanks! And yes, I know the loan is only for study cost, I am working hard now to make money for dorm, etc:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending