The Student Room Group

Where do I study?

Currently taking my A-levels and I have to start thinking about where I'm going to University. However, I'm at a loss whether I want to continue on in England or study abroad in Canada.
I am looking at chemical engineering or something in that field. So any advice in whether it is worth while to study abroad and any advice on the course itself, would be very helpful.
Thank you!
Reply 1
Original post by Ellen B
Currently taking my A-levels and I have to start thinking about where I'm going to University. However, I'm at a loss whether I want to continue on in England or study abroad in Canada.
I am looking at chemical engineering or something in that field. So any advice in whether it is worth while to study abroad and any advice on the course itself, would be very helpful.
Thank you!

That really depends on you doesn't it?!

And why Canada? Do you have connections there?
Reply 2
No connections there, but I have always loved the place. I know ultimately the decision is down to me, but I have no idea how to go around it. Thanks for replying.
Reply 3
Original post by Ellen B
No connections there, but I have always loved the place. I know ultimately the decision is down to me, but I have no idea how to go around it. Thanks for replying.

You will have to research Canadian universities and entrance requirements etc yourself. Most of TSR is focussed on UK universities :smile:

That said, there is an International Forum that does have some Canadian expertise:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=227
Original post by Ellen B

Original post by jneill
You will have to research Canadian universities and entrance requirements etc yourself. Most of TSR is focussed on UK universities :smile:

That said, there is an International Forum that does have some Canadian expertise:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=227

Need me? :tongue:

What Canadian universities are you interested in? (I am mostly familiar with UoT and UBC but I know a bit about other universities)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Thank you very much! :smile:
Reply 6
I am very interested in UBC and any information would be very helpful!
Reply 7
Original post by wolfmoon88
Need me? :tongue:

:ciao:
Original post by Ellen B
I am very interested in UBC and any information would be very helpful!

So you know where UBC is located and stuff right? They have one campus in Vancouver (main campus) and one campus in Okanogan.

I am more familiar with the engineering course in UoT (it's better as well imo) but engineering in UBC is fairly competitive for entry. IB minimum requirements are 29-32 points out of 45 however when I talked to a representative of admissions from UBC they told me that to have an competitive application a 35 or above and 6/7s in related subjects would be preferred. They have different specializations in engineering including chemical engineering. I think one great thing about UBC's engineering program is Co-op (international students are eligible too). The Co-op program provides students with professional paid and relevant work experience during their time at UBC. You can apply for this program in your second year (and third year) I believe. Search UBC Engineering Co-op for more details.

I think one of the biggest drawbacks of UBC (main campus) is that accommodation is not "readily" available and outside accomodation is pretty expensive. I have friends who are going there who has had a lot trouble finding accomodation after first year.

But UBC is a great uni with a vibrant community. Any specific questions just ask!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Thank very much for your help. I will defiantly look into UoT as well. This was really helpful! :smile:
I never even thought about accommodation- thanks for bringing that up :h:
Original post by Ellen B
Thank very much for your help. I will defiantly look into UoT as well. This was really helpful! :smile:
I never even thought about accommodation- thanks for bringing that up :h:

No problem :smile: if you have any specific questions about UoT after doing some research just post on this thread and I'll try to answer the question.

You do have to weigh in cost as well. I think a degree in the UK for home students is definitely cheaper than international tuition fees for Canadian Unis. Plus think about accomodation and opportunities as well. The UK has some universities for engineering that are some of the best in the world (likes of Imperial, Oxbridge, Manchester etc...) so staying in the UK and perhaps taking study abroad opportunities may not be a bad idea.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Take a year abroad? No be will care that much.
Reply 13
Original post by Ellen B

Loughborough has a year abroad that can include Canada.

Others may do this too.
http://www.lboro.ac.uk/departments/chemical/undergraduate/coursestructure/studyingabroad/
Original post by jneill
Loughborough has a year abroad that can include Canada.

Others may do this too.
http://www.lboro.ac.uk/departments/chemical/undergraduate/coursestructure/studyingabroad/

St Andrews has study abroad in select universities in Canada as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by wolfmoon88
St Andrews has study abroad in select universities in Canada as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But not a ChemEng course...
Original post by jneill
But not a ChemEng course...

Fair :getmecoat:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest