The Student Room Group

GCSE Edexcel Geography B 2017 exams

I'm currently revising unit 1 Climate Change. I've had a looked on some of the papers and one of the questions was;
'Explain how the future climate of the UK is likely to be affected by global climate change'
I have no idea how I would answer that to get the full 6 marks or in the top band at least. Does anyone know how to answer this??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RiyaP06
I'm currently revising unit 1 Climate Change. I've had a looked on some of the papers and one of the questions was;
'Explain how the future climate of the UK is likely to be affected by global climate change'
I have no idea how I would answer that to get the full 6 marks or in the top band at least. Does anyone know how to answer this??

It probably has something to do with- the increased carbon dioxide levels is increasing the amount of global warming. This means temperatures will rise around the world and ice caps will melt. The extra water from the melting ice caps will increase sea levels. This will mean more pressure on the cliffs through erosion and more chance of low level land areas being flooded. Some environmental effects of this are that through flooding lots of habitats and animals will be destroyed and it could lead to the extinction of some species. Some social effects are that many people will have personal items destroyed due to the flood water and may have to leave their homes for a long period of time. Some economic impacts are the costs of returning the land and homes back to normal after floods as well as the fact that businesses will close for a while meaning they may lose customers.

Hope this helps xx
Reply 2
Original post by Tripletrouble333
It probably has something to do with- the increased carbon dioxide levels is increasing the amount of global warming. This means temperatures will rise around the world and ice caps will melt. The extra water from the melting ice caps will increase sea levels. This will mean more pressure on the cliffs through erosion and more chance of low level land areas being flooded. Some environmental effects of this are that through flooding lots of habitats and animals will be destroyed and it could lead to the extinction of some species. Some social effects are that many people will have personal items destroyed due to the flood water and may have to leave their homes for a long period of time. Some economic impacts are the costs of returning the land and homes back to normal after floods as well as the fact that businesses will close for a while meaning they may lose customers.

Hope this helps xx

Thank you so much!! xx
Original post by RiyaP06
Thank you so much!! xx

I'm doing the exact same course as you so I know just how you feel 😂
Reply 4
I'm doing the exact same course as you so I know just how you feel 😂

The way they word the questions is so messed up. My worst topic has to be Restless Earth because that is just a killer!!
Original post by RiyaP06
The way they word the questions is so messed up. My worst topic has to be Restless Earth because that is just a killer!!

My worst is probably the distribution of shopping centres- I just did a mock and the wording of the question was so vague I know I failed...
Reply 6
My worst is probably the distribution of shopping centres- I just did a mock and the wording of the question was so vague I know I failed...

We did our mock on Unit 1 and Unit 3! It was so stupid because we haven't finished Unit 2 so the decision making paper made no sense at all. Can't wait until these exams are over!
Original post by RiyaP06
We did our mock on Unit 1 and Unit 3! It was so stupid because we haven't finished Unit 2 so the decision making paper made no sense at all. Can't wait until these exams are over!

We did our mock on theme 1 and theme 2 as we haven't even started theme 3- my teacher is having an operation so a long term supply is going to have to teach us 🙄 Not good considering the entire class is failing
Reply 8
We did our mock on theme 1 and theme 2 as we haven't even started theme 3- my teacher is having an operation so a long term supply is going to have to teach us 🙄 Not good considering the entire class is failing

Omg same with us. We have 4 geography classes in our year and our mock average was really bad for all 80 students. We all have to rely on our revision guides now because our school have some really bad GCSE teachers! Every lesson they change a countdown thing for how many weeks until our exams- yeah like thats going to keep us calm lol
Original post by RiyaP06
Omg same with us. We have 4 geography classes in our year and our mock average was really bad for all 80 students. We all have to rely on our revision guides now because our school have some really bad GCSE teachers! Every lesson they change a countdown thing for how many weeks until our exams- yeah like thats going to keep us calm lol

We have the same problem! There just doesn't seem to be any good geography teachers anymore. Not to mention the course is really hard
Reply 10
We have the same problem! There just doesn't seem to be any good geography teachers anymore. Not to mention the course is really hard

That's so true!! In the paper we only get 1hr 15mins to finish, that's not long enough at all! I feel like my hand is going to drop off by the end of it😂
Hold on a sec 1hr 15?!?!? We only get an hour and barely finish!!!!
Reply 12
Hold on a sec 1hr 15?!?!? We only get an hour and barely finish!!!!

No way!! That's horrible! My school go by this stupid idea that it's a mark per minute but that's so unrealistic considering the depth we have to go into omg😮
Original post by RiyaP06
No way!! That's horrible! My school go by this stupid idea that it's a mark per minute but that's so unrealistic considering the depth we have to go into omg😮

My school say that too but they want each exam to be done in 1 lesson unless it is a two hour exam so we just have to be as fast as we can 😩
Reply 14
My school say that too but they want each exam to be done in 1 lesson unless it is a two hour exam so we just have to be as fast as we can 😩

That's not fair at all! At least in the real exam you have 15 mins extra which still isn't a lot though. So glad I'm not taking it for A-Level. I would actually die LOL
Original post by RiyaP06
That's not fair at all! At least in the real exam you have 15 mins extra which still isn't a lot though. So glad I'm not taking it for A-Level. I would actually die LOL

Same probably- I'll prob finish with 15 mins to spare though as I'm so used to rushing... which school do you go to anyway?
Reply 16
Same probably- I'll prob finish with 15 mins to spare though as I'm so used to rushing... which school do you go to anyway?

I usually only have 2 mins to spare which isn't ideal! Don't really want to say the name of my school because I don't want to make it public but I'm from London. How about you? Where you from?
Original post by RiyaP06
I usually only have 2 mins to spare which isn't ideal! Don't really want to say the name of my school because I don't want to make it public but I'm from London. How about you? Where you from?

Cambridgeshire and the college I want to go to is in Cambridge but I need to pass all my gcses to get in- not sure that's possible with geography...
Reply 18
Cambridgeshire and the college I want to go to is in Cambridge but I need to pass all my gcses to get in- not sure that's possible with geography...

I can recommend a couple of revision guides I use at the moment because my School are useless. Look into 'Pearson- Geography GCSE edexcel B (purple cover)' its a life saver and it got me a good grade in my mocks too. I'm not planning to stay at my school for ALevels so I need to get good grades too to do my levels somewhere else!
Original post by RiyaP06
I can recommend a couple of revision guides I use at the moment because my School are useless. Look into 'Pearson- Geography GCSE edexcel B (purple cover)' its a life saver and it got me a good grade in my mocks too. I'm not planning to stay at my school for ALevels so I need to get good grades too to do my levels somewhere else!

Thanks, my school gave us free revision guides but there are so many mistakes its cringeworthy- I'll definitely look into the Pearson revision guide!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending