The Student Room Group

A level choices

Hey there all,
So i'm currently choosing my A levels for Sixth form. I'd like to do History or Law at university (Probably Law) so I was thinking:

Philosophy, Politics and History for A level.

My only doubts lie in whether three essay subjects are a good thing. Many other people I talk to are taking two essay subjects and a science, or vice versa. However, i'm not particularly good at science or maths, I excel more in the arts and humanities. So are those three subjects a good choice for Law, or should I maybe brave taking physics even though I won't enjoy or be that good at it?

Thanks!
do what you want to do, don't do a subject you won't like or be good at just for the sake of variety. Lots of my friends do three essay subjects and are coping fine. if you enjoy those subjects then take them!
Original post by Vexalti
Hey there all,
So i'm currently choosing my A levels for Sixth form. I'd like to do History or Law at university (Probably Law) so I was thinking:

Philosophy, Politics and History for A level.

My only doubts lie in whether three essay subjects are a good thing. Many other people I talk to are taking two essay subjects and a science, or vice versa. However, i'm not particularly good at science or maths, I excel more in the arts and humanities. So are those three subjects a good choice for Law, or should I maybe brave taking physics even though I won't enjoy or be that good at it?

Thanks!

Those subjects are fine for Law or History at degree level. I wouldn't recommend doing subjects you dislike and/or find difficult, because you probably won't do as well in them. Do the subjects you feel most comfortable with :smile:
Do NOT do subjects for the sake of variety, or because you think they will look good. Take subjects you enjoy, and will excel in. If your expertise lies within the humanities, take it and run with it. My forte is essay based subjects, so I took 4 essay based subjects. If you took physics and hated it (which you probably would, finding sciences hard at GCSE and not taking maths with physics can prove very difficult) you would probably get a bad grade. If you're aiming for law, you need to be taking subjects that you will be amazing at or enjoy, because you'll be looking at A*A*A/A*AA/AAA entry requirements. History, Politics and Philosophy are perfect choices for law, don't make decisions on others opinions.
Reply 4
Thank you all so much, I really do appreciate it, I'll go forward with those 3 A levels. Your kind words of reassurance are so valued, thanks again :smile: :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest