The Student Room Group

Do Universities Know if you take an AS-level without cashing it in? Disadvantages?

I'm in Year 12, and I have a question: If I take an AS-level but don't cash it in, will I have to put it on my UCAS form? Are there any possible disadvantages to not cashing it in?
Reply 1
Original post by quantumpancake
I'm in Year 12, and I have a question: If I take an AS-level but don't cash it in, will I have to put it on my UCAS form? Are there any possible disadvantages to not cashing it in?

If you take any A level and complete an exam in it (in year 12 or 13) you must declare it on your UCAS form. If you miss anything on your UCAS it can cause Unis to remove offers from you or just turn you down.
Reply 2
If you don't cash it in then you don't have to declare it but the concept of 'cash-in' does not exist for linear subjects, so if you're taking a linear A level you don't have a choice, the entry and the cash-in are all one thing.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Samonia
If you take any A level and complete an exam in it (in year 12 or 13) you must declare it on your UCAS form. If you miss anything on your UCAS it can cause Unis to remove offers from you or just turn you down.

Even if it's unitised (not linear)?
Reply 4

You don't need to if it's modular.

You need to be 100% sure that the way you've been entered for the exam is for modules only and not for an overall AS grade. If your results slip shows an overall grade from the exam board then your result was certified (certified doesn't mean you got a certificate)
Original post by PQ
You need to be 100% sure that the way you've been entered for the exam is for modules only and not for an overall AS grade. If your results slip shows an overall grade from the exam board then your result was certified (certified doesn't mean you got a certificate)

So are you saying that if you don't cash in, you don't get an overall AS grade? Do you always get an overall AS grade if you're entered for and sit all the AS modules?
So are you saying that if you don't cash in, you don't get an overall AS grade? Do you always get an overall AS grade if you're entered for and sit all the AS modules?

I'm saying that the way that your exams officer enters you for exams will determine whether your AS grade was cashed in/certified or not. You can't wait until after the results and then un-cash in a grade. If your exams officer enters you for the modules and asks for the AS grade to be calculated/cashed in then you will have an AS grade that you must declare.

If you want to take the modules without having to declare the AS grade then you MUST make it clear to your exams officer that you do not want the AS grade cashed in at this point and only want your module results.
Reply 8
So are you saying that if you don't cash in, you don't get an overall AS grade?

Yes.

Do you always get an overall AS grade if you're entered for and sit all the AS modules?

It's not obligatory for modular A levels but it is for linear ones.
Original post by Compost
Yes.

It's not obligatory for modular A levels but it is for linear ones.

So if you did the modules for AS and didn't cash in, would you not then be able to gget the AS qualification? Would you have to do A2?
So if you did the modules for AS and didn't cash in, would you not then be able to gget the AS qualification? Would you have to do A2?

A cash-in is the request for an overall grade. Without it you do not get a certificate or formally have the qualification. You could cash-in in a later exam season to get the AS or you could just cash-in for the full A level when that is complete.

Quick Reply

Latest