The Student Room Group

Unsure of what to do next (16 years old) Advice appreciated

Hi everyone, I would really appreciate some help/advice. I'm 16 years old and I left high school last July with good GCSE results. I started college and picked childcare for my course, since I left school with good grades I decided to start out at level 3. A couple of months in I decided I didn't really like it and that it wasn't for me. Not just that though, I was doing placement in a nursery 3 days a week (which I hated) and I was getting no money for it. My parents were and still are struggling financially as my mum is unable to go back to work because of an illness. So I decided to quit college and get an apprenticeship or a job. I was then told by multiple people that you can't get a job if you're 16 and not in education. So now over 2 months down the line (I quit college in November), I'm still applying for apprenticeships. The thing is, I'm just doing this because I have no idea what I want to do since deciding to leave college, I just wanted to get some money so that I could help/support my parents instead of working for nothing. I'm scared I've made the wrong choice as I still haven't found anything. Also, I didn't know that when I quit to do paid work instead that child benefits and child tax credits stop when I start earning money, completely unfair. So I'm looking for good money to make up for the money we're now missing out on since I left college. I feel like I've let everyone and myself down. Thank you for reading, sorry it's so long.
Original post by Emily1416
Hi everyone, I would really appreciate some help/advice. I'm 16 years old and I left high school last July with good GCSE results. I started college and picked childcare for my course, since I left school with good grades I decided to start out at level 3. A couple of months in I decided I didn't really like it and that it wasn't for me. Not just that though, I was doing placement in a nursery 3 days a week (which I hated) and I was getting no money for it. My parents were and still are struggling financially as my mum is unable to go back to work because of an illness. So I decided to quit college and get an apprenticeship or a job. I was then told by multiple people that you can't get a job if you're 16 and not in education. So now over 2 months down the line (I quit college in November), I'm still applying for apprenticeships. The thing is, I'm just doing this because I have no idea what I want to do since deciding to leave college, I just wanted to get some money so that I could help/support my parents instead of working for nothing. I'm scared I've made the wrong choice as I still haven't found anything. Also, I didn't know that when I quit to do paid work instead that child benefits and child tax credits stop when I start earning money, completely unfair. So I'm looking for good money to make up for the money we're now missing out on since I left college. I feel like I've let everyone and myself down. Thank you for reading, sorry it's so long.

We all mess up sometimes, and things don't go our way - but all you can do is try your best. You're already working hard to get into apprenticeships, which is good. What types of apprenticeships are you into? Have you got any idea of what area you're thinking of going into?

I'd say try get any experience you can while searching for your apprenticeships, perhaps getting some volunteering etc. It could make your cv better and improve it. You could also complete online distance learning courses (see futurelearn) and enhance your knowledge. You've got good GCSE's so that's a start :smile: Look up the 7Cups internship programme. That could help too. It could give you empathy skills and communication and show commitment.

Good luck.. I hope you can get through this. Remember that every struggle will make you stronger, I believe in you.
Go back to college so your parents can receive their child tax credits still, and get a part time job along side your studies.
Go back to college - it will pay off massively in the future. You might be able to do a part time job alongside this, or go into an apprenticeship afterwards.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending