The Student Room Group

Why do women wear a bra?

myth: "...wearing a bra... has no medical necessity whatsoever", says Susan M. Love, M.D in her "Dr. Susan Love's Breast Book"

"while bras do give breasts support, they do not ultimately prevent your breasts from sagging. Gravity will eventually take its effect."

''Society has taught us that there is something a bit disgusting or wrong about breasts that aren't bound. When this kind of thinking has been pumped into you since day 1, it's obviously very difficult to overcome."

Breasts must be bound to be beautiful or normal? Boobs aren't indecent or obscene and everybody has nipples..

Scroll to see replies

Support.

Walking and running, without one, is painful af.

Sagging is inevitable, with or without one.
It's the comfort factor, amongst other things. Plus some women have sizeable breasts which would be much more comfortable when supported.
I can't ever imagine just wandering about braless. Imagine the pain!
Reply 4
All of the above + clothes look better on you if your boobs aren't jumping with every step you make
Reply 5
Original post by stu.dying
I can't ever imagine just wandering about braless. Imagine the pain!

But do you feel like you have to conform to the society's dress code? Or is it purely because of discomfort?
I sometimes don't at home.
Wait, so if you don't wear a bra, it somehow hurts? Where does the pain come from?
Original post by EC
But do you feel like you have to conform to the society's dress code? Or is it purely because of discomfort?

To be honest, it really is because of comfort! For example, when bra shopping my mum would always try and steer me towards white and beige colours so my bra wouldn't show through my school shirt. However I refused and said I wanted to wear the ones that I thought were cute!
1. Provides support, especially for large breasts during exercise.

2. A well-designed and well-fitted bra makes the silhouette look nicer underneath clothing. Especially if someone has sagging boobs...this isn't a problem that just plagues old women but is common after breast-feeding.

3. Personally I don't like my nipples showing through my clothing, I like a smooth appearance.

4. Wearing a bra slows down the sagging. Although sagging is inevitable as you have mentioned.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm assuming through the implications of the post that you don't?
Original post by EC
myth: "...wearing a bra... has no medical necessity whatsoever", says Susan M. Love, M.D in her "Dr. Susan Love's Breast Book"

"while bras do give breasts support, they do not ultimately prevent your breasts from sagging. Gravity will eventually take its effect."

''Society has taught us that there is something a bit disgusting or wrong about breasts that aren't bound. When this kind of thinking has been pumped into you since day 1, it's obviously very difficult to overcome."

Breasts must be bound to be beautiful or normal? Boobs aren't indecent or obscene and everybody has nipples..

Jeez - if didn't wear a bra I would have two black eyes following running
Reply 12
Original post by Carthaginian
Wait, so if you don't wear a bra, it somehow hurts? Where does the pain come from?

Breasts slap painfully against the skin underneath when you move quickly. And the weight of the breast pulls on the ligaments. If the woman's cup is A or B there's not too much of an issue, but if you're a D..

I've never experienced pain.
Original post by EC
Breasts slap painfully against the skin underneath when you move quickly. And the weight of the breast pulls on the ligaments. If the woman's cup is A or B there's not too much of an issue, but if you're a D..

I've never experienced pain.

Ah, I think I know why.
sexism innit

free the nipple!

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by EC

I support your decision to reject social norms and go bra-less.

srsly though I go skating without a top on when it's sunny and idc what anyone thinks :biggrin: I don't conform to anything lol.
Reply 16
Original post by habeas.corpus
1. Provides support, especially for large breasts during exercise.

2. A well-designed and well-fitted bra makes the silhouette look nicer underneath clothing. Especially if someone has sagging boobs...this isn't a problem that just plagues old women but is common after breast-feeding.

3. Personally I don't like my nipples showing through my clothing, I like a smooth appearance.

4. Wearing a bra slows down the sagging. Although sagging is inevitable as you have mentioned.

For 4: There is evidence that bra wearing can even increase sagging. Professor Jean-Denis Rouillon studied 330 volunteer women between the ages 18 and 35 for 15 years. Their breasts were measured using a slide ruler and a caliper, and any changes throughout the study period were recorded. Women who did not wear bras had a 7 millimeter lift as measured from their nipples each year. Their breasts were also firmer, and their stretch marks faded.
Because trying to run without a bra on is hands down the most painful thing ever.
Reply 18
Yeah I never understood why women with small breasts wear a bra.
Reply 19
Original post by saraxh
I sometimes don't at home.

I never wear one whilst at home.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending