The Student Room Group

I don't know where I want to live (with my US partner, to complicate things)

I have lived in several cities in the UK, and after going through a long phase of hating the UK I feel quite happy living in London, and feel I could also easily move back to where I studied, Edinburgh.

The problem is that my boyfriend is American and also a resident of Argentina, and his masters student visa expires in April. We are planning on marrying, but even so I am not eligible for him to live here. I don't earn £18,500 a year and I'm self-employed. The new laws brought out by Theresa May have meant that we can't live here, despite wanting to.

The other options are New York--I am pro, he is against as he'd rather not live in the US anymore--hates the blocks in cities. Denmark is possibility, though I have no idea how either of us could move there. Argentina is a very tangible possibility, but having visited several times I don't feel I could be happy there. Unsafe, I can't drive so would be fully dependent on my partner, few opportunities.

I'm a freelance writer and he is a photojournalist, btw. Whatever we do is inevitably going to be freelance work.
If you both work freelance then presumably you can live anywhere? Just pick someone and go, see how it goes, if you don't like it then move somewhere else. I would love that kind of freedom, I'd move to Iceland or Berlin.
Reply 2
Original post by Snufkin
If you both work freelance then presumably you can live anywhere? Just pick someone and go, see how it goes, if you don't like it then move somewhere else. I would love that kind of freedom, I'd move to Iceland or Berlin.

Would love to say yes, but as a non-EU citizen, him acquiring a working visa as a freelance artist is pretty tough.
Go somewhere smaller in the US? I've visited New York a lot of times (my wife's family lives there) and I wouldn't want to live there. But I've lived in other places in the US and really liked them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending