The Student Room Group

****ing lost it today and possibly broke his mobile phone. Is my anger justified?

Scroll to see replies

Well as long as you pay for the damages.
How expensive was the phone? You broke the law too.
Hope the phone survived.
when the **** are people going to learn to communicate properly?
I'd be surprised if he stayed any longer
Not an overreaction, actually I am only reading this and I felt the urge to smash it into a million pieces right there. It is incredibly frustrating to put all that effort in, and have someone sit there on their phone and do what exactly? Browse Facebook? 'Quickly message someone'. Get out of my house.
Reply 85
Original post by sameehaiqbal
You should consider it and allow people to support and help you because it's not healthy thinking that way about yourself. Have you told your boyfriend how you feel? If he knows then maybe he will understand that you are a bit sensitive these days and just need someone to be there for you and will probably consider putting his phone down.

He knows how I feel. About everything. He tolerates it. But he knows he can't do anything to help. I think he's getting really fed up, though.
Original post by Muttley79
Perhaps you need to agree some rules at meal times - you both turn phones off and put them away?

I don't use mine at meal times. I can't really order him around though, it's his house. I don't think he'd want that.

Original post by loooopppyyy
If the roles were reversed and he threw your phone in anger, everyone would be screaming blue murder and telling you to leave that abusive person.

No your actions were not justified.

I don't think so. People would take his side anyway.

Original post by ChickenMadness
Well as long as you pay for the damages.

You mean use his money to buy him a new phone. ...since I don't make any.
Original post by Carthaginian
How expensive was the phone? You broke the law too.
Hope the phone survived.

It was/is an iphone, so around 600-700. Lol, don't talk to me about the law. It's a... sensitive subject lol.

Original post by Rhaenys10
when the **** are people going to learn to communicate properly?

Probably never.
Original post by retro_turtles
I'd be surprised if he stayed any longer

I've done worse tbh.
Reply 86
Original post by Dat Tall Guy
Not an overreaction, actually I am only reading this and I felt the urge to smash it into a million pieces right there. It is incredibly frustrating to put all that effort in, and have someone sit there on their phone and do what exactly? Browse Facebook? 'Quickly message someone'. Get out of my house.

I know. I was annoyed as hell. Too bad it's his house......
Original post by Ciel.
He knows how I feel. About everything. He tolerates it. But he knows he can't do anything to help. I think he's getting really fed up, though.

I don't use mine at meal times. I can't really order him around though, it's his house. I don't think he'd want that.

It was/is an iphone, so around 600-700. Lol, don't talk to me about the law. It's a... sensitive subject lol.

Probably never.

I've done worse tbh.

Dude, if you wanna have a relationship, you should try to master this skill ya know? Or maybe you two aren't compatible, in which case you should break up
Original post by Ciel.

you should get a job and pay for it. You owe him how ever much it costs for a replacement lol.
Original post by Ciel.

Probably never.

I've done worse tbh.

Pay reparations now!
Reply 90
Original post by Rhaenys10
Dude, if you wanna have a relationship, you should try to master this skill ya know? Or maybe you two aren't compatible, in which case you should break up

We probably should but neither of us really wants to.

you should get a job and pay for it. You owe him how ever much it costs for a replacement lol.

Ok, I'm going to repeat myself for like a third time. I don't expect everyone to read every single post in this thread though, so it's fine. I can't get a job because I'm a wreck (anxiety, depression, you name it).
Original post by Ciel.
We probably should but neither of us really wants to.

Ok, I'm going to repeat myself for like a third time. I don't expect everyone to read every single post in this thread though, so it's fine. I can't get a job because I'm a wreck (anxiety, depression, you name it).

ye it's still money you owe him lol. You'l have to pay for it eventually. Can't go vandalising peoples stuff haha.
Reply 92
ye it's still money you owe him lol. You'l have to pay for it eventually. Can't go vandalising peoples stuff haha.

The money's not the issue here. That's not why he's angry. He can just buy a new one. It's the fact that I dared to do do something like that. And, of course, the inconvenience of getting a new phone, if this one doesn't make it.
Reading your behaviour made me cringe. Anyone with a modicum of self-awareness and emotional intelligence would not have acted in such a disproportionately petulant manner. If I was your partner, I would have ran for the hills a long, long time ago.

This is not behaviour I would tolerate from a partner. The worst part is that you are trying to justify your emotionally unstable and borderline violent behaviour, and also fail to see that it is an abnormal reaction.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 94
Original post by habeas.corpus
Reading your behaviour made me cringe. Anyone with a modicum of self-awareness and emotional intelligence would not have acted in such a disproportionately petulant manner. If I was your partner, I would have ran for the hills a long, long time ago. This is not behaviour I would tolerate from a partner. The worst part is that you are trying to justify your emotionally unstable and borderline violent behaviour.

It's natural to get angry sometimes. Unless you are a robot... If this is 'violent' for you... God, you're not going to survive in the real word.
Original post by Ciel.
So I made really a really awesome dinner for us today. I really put a lot of effort into it, believe me, I didn't even feel like getting out of bed in the morning, as usual. But I still did. And? And he (my boyfriend) was more interested in his stupid phone, browsing Facebook and ****, while eating. Don't get me wrong I do that a lot too but not when we are having a (kind of) special meal together!
This wasn't the first time either, he's been doing this for the past 2 weeks or so, I've asked him to stop before, too, a number of times. Today I just ****ing lost it, took it away from him, went to the bathroom and threw the damn thing in the toilet. He just called me crazy, no surprise really and I'm here alone now, rotting in our bedroom, feeling a bit guilty, but still secretly hoping that his mobile did not survive.
So? Justified? Complete overreaction? Idk anymore

Get your anger issues under control. He might have really important things on that phone for a start, and he's gonna have to go through the hassle of getting an all new phone and most likely doesn't remember the passwords to his accounts. You better be getting him a new phone and apologising constantly for the next few weeks.
Original post by Ciel.
It's natural to get angry sometimes. Unless you are a robot... If this is 'violent' for you... God, you're not going to survive in the real word.

Of course getting angry is natural. It's part of the human condition. But the way you reacted is completely wrong. There's really no justifying your behaviour. It's the not the anger which is the issue, it's the actions which stem from it.

"God, you're not going to survive in the real word". A bit ironic that you have said that, considering you are the person who has openly said that you aren't able to work and live like a zombie. By those standards, I am surviving far better than you.

You still don't accept your behaviour was ridiculous today, despite the majority of posters here telling you otherwise.
If you were looking for validation for your childish...behaviour then you haven't found it. Nobody in their right mind would throw someone's phone on the toilet just because they were on FB. There's clearly anger and emotionally unstable issues on your side. You need to work through that and learn better and healthier communication skills.
Reply 98
Original post by habeas.corpus
Of course getting angry is natural. It's part of the human condition. But the way you reacted is completely wrong. There's really no justifying your behaviour. It's the not the anger which is the issue, it's the actions which stem from it.

"God, you're not going to survive in the real word". A bit ironic that you have said that, considering you are the person who has openly said that you aren't able to work and live like a zombie. By those standards, I am surviving far better than you.

You still don't accept your behaviour was ridiculous today, despite the majority of posters here telling you otherwise.

That's exactly why. I can't do all those things precisely because someone really messed me up. That was real violence. So you calling me violent, over one little incident just doesn't make any sense to me.
Original post by Ciel.

If that is normal behaviour to you, it's you that isn't going to survive in the real world lol. You'l either get your head kicked in or a big criminal record if someone decides to take legal action.

Quick Reply

Latest