The Student Room Group

Do Botox injections have side effects?

Just something I need answered for science. How does it work and what are the side effects on the skin?
Original post by Matilda612
Just something I need answered for science. How does it work and what are the side effects on the skin?

Botox is quite literally the most powerful poison in the world, so it's pretty dangerous, idk if that counts as a side effect haha. I'm also not entirely sure how it works, but I think it's like an acetylcholine receptor antagonist, so it blocks neuromuscular junctions and paralyses muscles, which I assume makes the skin look smoother. If you think about it, wrinkles appear on your face when you contract facial muscles (i.e. frown), so if you relaxed them then it would get rid of wrinkles.
Reply 2
Original post by AortaStudyMore
Botox is quite literally the most powerful poison in the world, so it's pretty dangerous, idk if that counts as a side effect haha. I'm also not entirely sure how it works, but I think it's like an acetylcholine receptor antagonist, so it blocks neuromuscular junctions and paralyses muscles, which I assume makes the skin look smoother. If you think about it, wrinkles appear on your face when you contract facial muscles (i.e. frown), so if you relaxed them then it would get rid of wrinkles.

Sounds nasty :s-smilie: I had a feeling it paralyses muscles

This can be considered as a side effect of botox. It prevents that acetylcholin can dock on synaptic cleft and thus botox prevents that stimuluses in form of an action potential is transmitted from neuron to neuron, from synapses to synapses and so from muscles to muscles.

If people get a smoother skin by using botox, but would risk their health in this way, is that not a negative aspect of it, so a side effect in your view?
Original post by Kallisto
This can be considered as a side effect of botox. It prevents that acetylcholin can dock on synaptic cleft and thus botox prevents that stimuluses in form of an action potential is transmitted from neuron to neuron, from synapses to synapses and so from muscles to muscles.

If people get a smoother skin by using botox, but would risk their health in this way, is that not a negative aspect of it, so a side effect in your view?

I'm not quite sure what you're asking me here
I'm not quite sure what you're asking me here

Was a rhetorical question either way, so don't seat it. In my opinion the toxic characteristics of botox is a side effect.
Original post by Kallisto
Was a rhetorical question either way, so don't seat it. In my opinion the toxic characteristics of botox is a side effect.

I know, I never said it wasn't haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending