The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Student Money Week 2017
Wondering if you're eligible for student finance? Our experts are here to help.

Alison and Stephanie have been working for Student Finance England as customer advisors since last year and are experienced in answering all types of queries.

Please be aware all answers will be posted on Monday 6 February.

Hi, I'm (hoping to be) a mature student (24 when the course starts). I already have one Ba degree and was wondering whether I am eligible for more Student Finance funding. This second degree will also be an Undergrad (Bsc) so at the same level as my previous but could potentially be a integrated Masters depending on which courses I'm accepted onto. I know the Advanced Learner Loan exists but can it be used to also fund a combined Undergrad/Masters, or can it only be used for a 'pure' undergrad course? Are there other sources of funding that you are aware of that I can access? Thanks.
Reply 2
Hi, I'm hoping to give to university in September. I have already been accepted onto my course, I just need to be accepted for student finance now... However, I have already had 2 years of student finance for a foundation degree that I completed last year. Where as this one will be a higher qaulification as it is a undergarduate (BSC) degree. Would I be able to receive funding for the full 3years of the degree still? As I'm now worried that I won't be able to do my course due to funding :-( If not, are there other sources of funding i can apply for? Thanks.
Reply 3

Alison and Stephanie have been working for Student Finance England as customer advisors since last year and are experienced in answering all types of queries.

Hi, I'm hoping to give to university in September. I have already been accepted onto my course, I just need to be accepted for student finance now... However, I have already had 2 years of student finance for a foundation degree that I completed last year. Where as this one will be a higher qaulification as it is a undergarduate (BSC) degree. Would I be able to receive funding for the full 3years of the degree still? As I'm now worried that I won't be able to do my course due to funding :-( If not, are there other sources of funding i can apply for? Thanks.
Reply 4
Hi, I have applied to do dentistry for 2017 entry, I am the first one in my family to ever go to university and have been hearing about extra funding you can get for this. I am from a low income family aswell - I am currently receiving the 16-19 student bursary. Please let me know what there is available. Thanks :smile:
Hi!
I'm applying for to an alternate provider of HE for a degree. I know I get a £6,000 tuition loan, but I was wondering if my maintenance loan would be capped in a similar fashion?

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this
Thanks in advance
Reply 6
Hello,

I am a European citizen from Germany who is currently living in Beijing, China and is applying in the UK. One of the key factors is my eligibility to student finance, because if I am classified as an international student I am unable to do so. I have lived outside the EU for 6 years now, but this is because of my fathers temporary employment with a german company. I can back this up with working certificates and his working contracts. My family still owns a house in Germany and pays full taxes there. I don't really understand how I could not be classified as European, simply because I'm going to school elsewhere because of my father. Could you tell me which category I should end up in (european or international). If I am a borderline case could you also tell me what further evidence I should provide to make a better case?

Thanks, Tim
Reply 7
Hi, I'm 22 and the highest qualification i have is A-Level. Am i eligible for student finance? If so whats max amount i can receive?
Thanks.
Hi I'm 20, and currently considered as an international student, am I eligible for student finance ? If yes then how to apply (I'm a newbie, sorry) ? If not, then this is my second question : if I became a resident in the UK, for instance next year or so, will I be able to apply for student finance THEN ? And will there be a difference in terms of eligibility or other conditions then ?
Reply 9
Hi, I have been accepted onto a social work MA starting September (2017). I already have a postgraduate diploma and a post graduate certificate (both courses I self funded whilst working full time). The social work MA is full time so I won't be able to work full time and I don't know whether I am eligible for any student finance?
Thanks in advance
Anne-Marie
Reply 10

Hello. I am 26 years old and have already completed an undergraduate degree in Zoology from 2010-2013. I received a maintenance loan and tuition loan from student finance for that first degree. I have now been accepted onto a 5 year Veterinary Medicine bachelors degree programme at Liverpool University. Is there any funding available for a second degree, as this would lead to a professional qualification? I had heard you could get a means tested living costs loan. Any information would be appreciated. Thank you, Natalie.
Reply 11

Hi, I am currently an A level student, preparing to go to university this September being the first in my family. I was wondering what exactly does student finance cover and under what condition does the amount given base upon?
I am a mature student or will be I already have a degree which was financed by student finance etc.

On the Nus site it says if we get into Oxbridge we can get a college fee loan but student finance says that this is not the case what is the situation with that?
Original post by RosieDy
Hi, I'm (hoping to be) a mature student (24 when the course starts). I already have one Ba degree and was wondering whether I am eligible for more Student Finance funding. This second degree will also be an Undergrad (Bsc) so at the same level as my previous but could potentially be a integrated Masters depending on which courses I'm accepted onto. I know the Advanced Learner Loan exists but can it be used to also fund a combined Undergrad/Masters, or can it only be used for a 'pure' undergrad course? Are there other sources of funding that you are aware of that I can access? Thanks.

Hi, as you already hold a Ba degree there would be no funding available from Student Finance England for an equal level qualification.

The Advanced Learner Loan only funds qualifications below Ba degree level.

I would advise you contact the university your looking to apply to and see if there are any bursaries or grants available from them.

If you were considering study a masters more information can be found at https://www.gov.uk/postgraduate-loan/overview
Original post by Emily.T

Hi, as you already have 2 years previous funding we would take this into account when assessing your entitlement, the previous study calculation that would be applied is as follows 3+1=4 years funding 2 years of previous study = 2 years funding. In this case you would not be eligible for tuition fees for the first year of your course however could be eligible for the remaining years.

If you were changing your mode of study to part time you could possibly be eligible for 16 years worth of funding.
Reply 15

I'm Andre F. I was born in the UK and I am a UK passport holder. I attended nursery here and lived here until I was 5 years old. My parents were working here (my mother is a UK passport holder too) and we were owners of our house. We then moved abroad and lived in Europe until August 2015, when we moved back in to the UK. I am attending City College Coventry doing a BTEC. I have been offered a place in 3 different Uni. and now i have a question about eligibility for Student Finance,

- Can I be considered a Home Student?
- Or am I considered only an EU student?
- What am I entitled to apply for in terms of finance support?
- Tuition Fees?
- Maintenance Support?
- DSA's allowance (as I'm Dyslexic)?
- Any Scholarships?

I would appreciate to be guided regarding the above as when I rang student Finance England and Student Finance Non UK team i had contradicted information and I no longer know where do I stand.

Thank you so much Andre
Original post by Michael_Fishy
Hi!
I'm applying for to an alternate provider of HE for a degree. I know I get a £6,000 tuition loan, but I was wondering if my maintenance loan would be capped in a similar fashion?

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this
Thanks in advance

Hi, the maintenance loan is not effected by your instituation however If the household income is above the appropriate threshold then the you will only receive the non-income based ML (65%)

The thresholds are:

£58,201 (living at home)

£62,143 (living elsewhere)

£69,756 (living in London

Original post by sditta
Hi, I have applied to do dentistry for 2017 entry, I am the first one in my family to ever go to university and have been hearing about extra funding you can get for this. I am from a low income family aswell - I am currently receiving the 16-19 student bursary. Please let me know what there is available. Thanks :smile:

Hi, with dentistry courses we would need to establish further details to give you correct advice on funding, so I would suggest you ring Student Finance England 0300 100 0607 for further information.
Reply 18
Hi all, I come from Spain and I have lived in the UK for 4 years (it will be 5 in july) and I just wanted to ask how should I apply for the student loan. Should I apply as a EU student, EEA worker or UK student? Also, what is the criteria for each one? Specially the EEA and UK.

I also have a friend who came about 3 years ago and is also starting her university degree this year. How should her apply as? Do we have to apply online or via post?

Thanks in advance =)
Original post by murtadha96
Hi I'm 20, and currently considered as an international student, am I eligible for student finance ? If yes then how to apply (I'm a newbie, sorry) ? If not, then this is my second question : if I became a resident in the UK, for instance next year or so, will I be able to apply for student finance THEN ? And will there be a difference in terms of eligibility or other conditions then ?

Hi, with the information you have provided it is very difficult to ascertain why you are considered an international student. Universities can have a different definition for ‘international student’. In view of this I would advised you to call Student Finance England 0300 100 0607 for further information.

Latest

Trending

Trending