The Student Room Group

English guide

Hey guys, do you have any tips on achieving a better grade in english?
At the moment, i am working on a 5-6 (B) on both papers. I would like to try my best to improve this to a 7 (A). However, i find it difficult to revise this subject effectively and I can't focus well in class because i don't find the subject as interesting. Are there any ways to make revision or focusing in class easier?

Thank you.
Original post by Rarest
Hey guys, do you have any tips on achieving a better grade in english?
At the moment, i am working on a 5-6 (B) on both papers. I would like to try my best to improve this to a 7 (A). However, i find it difficult to revise this subject effectively and I can't focus well in class because i don't find the subject as interesting. Are there any ways to make revision or focusing in class easier?

Thank you.

In my December mocks I got both 5's and in my English Lit i was 3 marks of a 6.
The most important things which you should know are language terminology.
With the knowledge of it, you will be able to do loads of annotations in both English Language and English Literature.

To revise you could focus of one thing daily/ every few days..
Fore example: On one day you can focus on 'How much Birling feels responsible for Eva Smiths death', and write a few paragraphs about it ect. And another day you could find yourself some unseen poetry and try annotate it. (Hopefully you get the idea)

To focus in class, try and not be distracted by others..
If you are then ask your teacher to move you to another desk or tell the people that you're trying to concentrate and they are distracting you (I know that it isn't easy to tell them, so the best idea would be to tell the teacher).

Do I enjoy English? I actually started to enjoy it from this year (Yr11, better than never I guess..) English is not my first language.. I never believed in myself.. 'Oh I can't achieve, because I am not English at all, my whole entire family is from another country, my English speaking and writing is better than my parents ect. I guess you just have to believe in yourself and not put yourself down.

MAKE SURE TO: revise terms, practice writing back to some exam questions (which you could find online), make sure to re-read some of you English Literature books if you don't understand/know the story line.

And good luck! believe in yourself, revise, and everything will be okay! Don't worry! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by nataliasx
In my December mocks I got both 5's and in my English Lit i was 3 marks of a 6.
The most important things which you should know are language terminology.
With the knowledge of it, you will be able to do loads of annotations in both English Language and English Literature.

To revise you could focus of one thing daily/ every few days..
Fore example: On one day you can focus on 'How much Birling feels responsible for Eva Smiths death', and write a few paragraphs about it ect. And another day you could find yourself some unseen poetry and try annotate it. (Hopefully you get the idea)

To focus in class, try and not be distracted by others..
If you are then ask your teacher to move you to another desk or tell the people that you're trying to concentrate and they are distracting you (I know that it isn't easy to tell them, so the best idea would be to tell the teacher).

Do I enjoy English? I actually started to enjoy it from this year (Yr11, better than never I guess..) English is not my first language.. I never believed in myself.. 'Oh I can't achieve, because I am not English at all, my whole entire family is from another country, my English speaking and writing is better than my parents ect. I guess you just have to believe in yourself and not put yourself down.

MAKE SURE TO: revise terms, practice writing back to some exam questions (which you could find online), make sure to re-read some of you English Literature books if you don't understand/know the story line.

And good luck! believe in yourself, revise, and everything will be okay! Don't worry! :smile:

Wow. Thanks, Im starting to do a bit of daily work on english and so far im finding it helpful. Not only have you given me good advice but you've increased my motivation too. Honestly, thank you :smile:
Original post by Rarest
Wow. Thanks, Im starting to do a bit of daily work on english and so far im finding it helpful. Not only have you given me good advice but you've increased my motivation too. Honestly, thank you :smile:

No problem, my pleasure! Good luck, believe in yourself! :smile:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending