The Student Room Group

ISIS and Israeli flags social experiment.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Bornblue
I wouldn't say he got 'horrendous anti-israel abuse'. You make it sound like he was attacked or given death threats. He tried to provoke people, by saying that 'Only Hamas is to blame'. That's clearly not true. Of course Hamas takes blame, but so too does Israel. That's a reasonable opinion. He also said 'Israel protects the human rights of Palestinians'. Again that's a deeply controversial and subjective statement. I don't see how challenging that is 'not even remotely acceptable'.

I think you're ignoring comments in that video that don't fit with your apologia for anti-Israeli rhetoric. There is one thing objecting to an ideology or political view: this was something completely and utterly different.

Original post by STEMisSuperior.
The only bigotry here is you thinking that you can make conclusions from this silly video.

Well, yes, assuming it's not an elaborate ruse with actors - which I don't think would really be necessary - I do draw conclusions from it.
Original post by L i b
Well, yes, assuming it's not an elaborate ruse with actors - which I don't think would really be necessary - I do draw conclusions from it.

No, it's because the video is so skewed and the whole thing is created in such a way that pushes a certain agenda. It's fake news.
Reply 22
No, it's because the video is so skewed and the whole thing is created in such a way that pushes a certain agenda. It's fake news.

Again, you cannot edit or skew the words of people. You may argue, as has been done here, that they were provoked. No level of provocation would lead me to start shouting racist comments in public in the middle of the day - the same logic applies here. A number of people were clearly willing to express very unpleasant anti-Israel rhetoric in the middle of a US university campus. I find that pretty revolting.
Reply 23
Whilst I don't disagree with them being against Israel, Hamas is definitely a terrorist organisation. I'm mainly disgusted at the lack of anger towards the ISIS flag.. it's America, I would've pulled a gun out on him and called the cops so they could do a background check, it's crazy. In the U.K. I would've just called 999 because I'd be scared, how they can just walk past is insane
Original post by L i b
Again, you cannot edit or skew the words of people. You may argue, as has been done here, that they were provoked. No level of provocation would lead me to start shouting racist comments in public in the middle of the day - the same logic applies here. A number of people were clearly willing to express very unpleasant anti-Israel rhetoric in the middle of a US university campus. I find that pretty revolting.

The worst that was said was "**** Israel". But if you're going to draw conclusions from what one person said then go ahead.

He could have done a whole day of filiming and then cut out words and actions of people who said "**** ISIS" or confronted him about waving an ISIS flag. And then he could have just chosen to only put in bits where people confronted or got provoked by the Israeli flag. Hell he could even have paid people off. Nothing can be drawn from this video and being anti-israel is fine.
Reply 25
The worst that was said was "**** Israel".

Well, I appreciate it's subjective, but I think the worst comment that came out of that little horrorshow was "All Israelis are killers".

He could have done a whole day of filiming and then cut out words and actions of people who said "**** ISIS" or confronted him about waving an ISIS flag.

I don't really give a ha'penny jizz what was said about ISIL or that flag - I've never so much as brought it up.

And then he could have just chosen to only put in bits where people confronted or got provoked by the Israeli flag.

People who say horrendous things when they are confronted or provoked are still people saying horrendous things and people who ultimately hold horrendous opinions. Someone who needs only to see the flag of Gambia or hear one-sided praise of the Sundanese government to come out with a remark like "all Africans are subhuman" is still a ****ing racist.

Indeed, I'm all for provoking these sorts of people - they should be provoked daily, and their opinions laid bare and condemned. Which is why I'm rather baffled that you are choosing to ignore them - indeed, given the complete lack of rational thought in the argument you're choosing to voice, I can only guess that you actuall, on some level, agree with this sort of ****.

Hell he could even have paid people off.

Yeah, but I think we both know he wouldn't have needed to.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by L i b

People who say horrendous things when they are confronted or provoked are still people saying horrendous things and people who ultimately hold horrendous opinions. Someone who needs only to see the flag of Gambia to come out with a remark like "all Africans are subhuman" is still a ****ing racist.

Okay but nothing was anywhere near as extreme. Plus he wasn't just waving an israeli flag, he was saying some pretty controversial stuff too.

Original post by L i b

Indeed, I'm all for provoking these sorts of people - they should be provoked daily, and their opinions laid bare and condemned. Which is why I'm rather baffled that you are choosing to ignore them - indeed, given the complete lack of rational thought in the argument you're choosing to voice, I can only guess that you actuall, on some level, agree with this sort of ****.

Being anti-Israeli doesn't make you irrational. Don't be ridiculous, there is good reason to condemn the vile actions of the Israeli government.

This whole "Israel are innocent and anything said against Israel is Anti semitic" rhetoric needs to stop.
I think it's heavily edited to get you to sympathise with the apartheid state- Israel.

Dont get me wrong I hate and I am against both of these 'states' equally..
Original post by L i b
I think you're ignoring comments in that video that don't fit with your apologia for anti-Israeli rhetoric. There is one thing objecting to an ideology or political view: this was something completely and utterly different.

I'm quite surprised to see you resort to hyperbole and sensationalism and it seems like you're just trying to find a way to be offended.

When he was waving the Israeli flag, he quite clearly tried to provoke a reaction from people by making quite bold and controversial statements. People reacted with comments no more sensationalist or provocative than the ones he gave out.

For you to describe it as horrible abuse? Well the Daily Mail would be proud of that hyperbole.

If you act like a douchebag and try to provoke a reaction, as this guy was doing, you can have no complaints if people voice their opinion about it.
What exactly is your issue? That some people oppose certain actions of the Israeli government? Which comments in particular were 'horrible abuse'?

'Horrible abuse'? Do me a f*cking favour... That's a passable impression of a SJW.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by undergrad123
I think it's heavily edited to get you to sympathise with the apartheid state- Israel.

Dont get me wrong I hate and I am against both of these 'states' equally..

It's sad that thanks to Zionism and their desperate victim complex you had to make it clear you hate ISIS.
Reply 30
show them the ISISrael flag
Reply 31
"You can't smoke on the campus". :rofl:
Reply 32
When he was waving the Israeli flag, he quite clearly tried to provoke a reaction from people by making quite bold and controversial statements. People reacted with comments no more sensationalist or provocative than the ones he gave out.

Yes, he was playing a part - they were not. They certainly did voice far worse views that he did - and crossed the line of acceptability in a civilised society.

For you to describe it as horrible abuse? Well the Daily Mail would be proud of that hyperbole.

Christ on a bicycle, do give the students union "Daily Fail" stuff a rest.

If you act like a douchebag and try to provoke a reaction, as this guy was doing, you can have no complaints if people voice their opinion about it. What exactly is your issue? That some people oppose certain actions of the Israeli government? Which comments in particular were 'horrible abuse'?

I have no complaint about people voicing their opinions: I am concerned about what these opinions are - which are in this case deeply abhorrent. As I've said, I want racists and bigots to express their views: sunlight is the best disinfectant. I just find it particularly incredible that they would so readily - a lot of people have vulgar views that they keep to themselves our of social pressure. That indicates that a veneer of acceptability is being given to these sorts of opinions, which is something that decent people - and it appears unless you're being incredibly obtuse then you don't fall into that bracket - should guard against.
Reply 33
Okay but nothing was anywhere near as extreme. Plus he wasn't just waving an israeli flag, he was saying some pretty controversial stuff too.

He could have said literally anything, it wouldn't lessen the culpability of anyone who responded to him. The idea that someone can be provoked into being a racist, a bigot or whatever else is a concept that is entirely alien to me. If someone's being an idiot, I will happily call them out for that - it doesn't instantly make me start advocating a bunch of ridiculous prejudices.

Being anti-Israeli doesn't make you irrational

I'd say being "anti" any country makes you irrational. It is an entirely different thing to disagree with the actions of a government. I do not like Donald Trump's views or the actions of the US Government, it doesn't make me anti-American - nor should it. That is a rather extreme form of bigotry and prejudice.

This whole "Israel are innocent and anything said against Israel is Anti semitic" rhetoric needs to stop.

Yet the multitude of people who condemn Israel out of a deeply held antisemitism certainly need to be recognised and called out for it.
Original post by L i b
He could have said literally anything, it wouldn't lessen the culpability of anyone who responded to him. The idea that someone can be provoked into being a racist, a bigot or whatever else is a concept that is entirely alien to me. If someone's being an idiot, I will happily call them out for that - it doesn't instantly make me start advocating a bunch of ridiculous prejudices.

I don't see how responding to someone waving an Israeli flag and making controversial comments suddenly mean you're a bigot.
Original post by L i b

I'd say being "anti" any country makes you irrational. It is an entirely different thing to disagree with the actions of a government. I do not like Donald Trump's views or the actions of the US Government, it doesn't make me anti-American - nor should it. That is a rather extreme form of bigotry and prejudice.

Being anti-Israel is equivalent to anti-Israeli government. Not many are against every single Israeli (in fact the vast majority aren't). Things don't need to be that explicit.

Original post by L i b

Yet the multitude of people who condemn Israel out of a deeply held antisemitism certainly need to be recognised and called out for it.

You can condemn them if they make anti semitic comments, you can't shut down perfectly reasonable anti zionist opinions by smearing them with accusations of anti semitism.

And what does "deeply held" mean? You can't assume anything, you're not an anti semite purely because you're against Israel because that would make lots of Jewish people are also anti semitic.
Original post by L i b

Is it antisemitic to be against a state that has no legitimacy, that continually breaks international law with its settlement policy, that targets civilians in the name of "security"?

Tell me, what is "antisemitic" in any of that?

ps being anti-Israel does not necessarily imply being pro-Hamas. Just mentioning it because you seem like the kind of person who would have come back with that.
Obviously there is no anti-semitism in the left......

Shami Chakrabarti cleared the Labour party of charges of anti-semitism, just before Mr Corbyn’s nomination of Ms Chakrabarti for a peerage.

Nothing to see here, move along.
Being anti-Israel is equivalent to anti-Israeli government.

So, supposing you don't support all actions of British government, can I call you anti-British? And if I don't support some actions of British government is it OK for me saying "F*ck Britain"?
It's only about Israeli government? What about Israeli parliament? Israeli army and police? Israeli judicial system? You don't have problems with them, do you?
Nope. It's about the state of Israel, it's about the hole country. It is not accidental that you with sympathy replied a poster who called Israel apartheid state and expressed his hate toward state of Israel.
For starters I'm Jewish. I most certainly do not hate myself or my religion.

Having Jewish genes is not really a great argument in a political discussion.
"Your religion"? :smile:
Secondly how on earth is criticising Israel racist? Israel is not a race....

Israel is a Jewish state. It hurts you, doesn't it? :cool:
Original post by yudothis
ps being anti-Israel does not necessarily imply being pro-Hamas.

Usually it implies. Do you condemn Hamas?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending