The Student Room Group

Having trouble interpreting an essay question

I'm having a bit of trouble interpreting what my essay question is actually asking me to do. I feel like I've been thinking about it too much and now I'm possibly making it much more complicated than it should be. The question is as follows:

With regard to any two or more set texts, consider some of the means whereby other tales or genres are invoked or revised and assess how these replayed elements contribute.

I had thought it was asking me to identify the different genres and tales which are mirrored in the texts, discuss how this is achieved, and then go on to say how this affects our appreciation. However, I am still very unsure.

Can anyone help?
Original post by The Milk Thief
I'm having a bit of trouble interpreting what my essay question is actually asking me to do. I feel like I've been thinking about it too much and now I'm possibly making it much more complicated than it should be. The question is as follows:

With regard to any two or more set texts, consider some of the means whereby other tales or genres are invoked or revised and assess how these replayed elements contribute.

I had thought it was asking me to identify the different genres and tales which are mirrored in the texts, discuss how this is achieved, and then go on to say how this affects our appreciation. However, I am still very unsure.

Can anyone help?

Sounds like you are on the right track although it's difficult to say without a context. The last part of the question may just ask how much the different tales or genres add to the new text, rather than any specific focus on appreciation.
Original post by Lit teacher
Sounds like you are on the right track although it's difficult to say without a context. The last part of the question may just ask how much the different tales or genres add to the new text, rather than any specific focus on appreciation.

Thank you so much for your reply!

I was planning on writing about two texts. One is "Loitering With Intent" by Muriel Sparks which is mainly about the genre of the autobiography. The second is "The Pillowman" by Martin McDonagh which features a great deal of references to fairytales and such. Both feature a lot of intertextuality as each one seems to resemble the genre it refers to throughout.

I'm unsure if you're familiar with either of these texts but this was the angle I was hoping to shoot for. Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending