The Student Room Group

Nhs care assistant interview.

I have an interview on Friday for a job in a hospital as a care assistant. Can someone please give me some ideas on what they might ask me and any tips on trying to make sure I get this job? Thank you
Reply 1
Original post by Dmiller89
I have an interview on Friday for a job in a hospital as a care assistant. Can someone please give me some ideas on what they might ask me and any tips on trying to make sure I get this job? Thank you

Hello,

Can I ask ask what type of ward you are applying to work at? You see I have held two of these positions over the last six years and I was asked questions based on the environment I was going to be working in at each interview.

Generally though they are going to want to hear that you understand what your roles and responsibilities would be along with being able to demonstrate certain key personality traits. They will want to see you know how to communicate effectively, that you can work well in a team and of course that you are an intrinsically caring person. There will be certain principles that you'll need to be familiar as well such as duty of care, safeguarding, confidentially through good information governance.

I hope this is of some help. If you have any further questions then feel free to PM me. I have tomorrow off work, and over the coming days I'll have enough time to pop on here to provide some assistance with your interview prep if you would find that helpful.
Reply 2
Thank you for your reply. I'm currently at work so can only write a quick one back.
It really has helped. I feel like I need to brush up on a few things you said. I would definitely find some assistance helpful if you don't mind please? I am so nervous for this interview. I just want to be as prepared as possible.
It's for an elderly ward or ophthalmology. It says both on the job description. Thanks again
Reply 3
Hi,

No problem, glad to help.

Ok so it sounds like it is an older people's ward for people receiving treatment for their eyes, perhaps a post-surgical ward. Don't expect detailed questions, just make sure you understand the general issues those patients may face, and what you would consequently have to aid them with. So for example, elderly patients more often present with confusion for a variety of reasons - how would you handle that? This patient group will also have greater difficulties with mobility and could have other sensory impairments i.e. hearing.

I should add at this point that you may not be even be asked specifics about the patient group. I just think it is always best to be over-prepared, particularly in a competitive job market. I don't know whether I was expected to know the things I told them in my last HCA interview a few years back, though was informed afterwards I got the job as my interview performance was "exceptional"
Reply 4
I've been a carer in a residential home for 8 years so I should know my stuff. Ive got my nvq level 3 in health and social and also a level 3 in end of life care. It's just trying to put it into words I may struggle with on the day. Did you get any questions about the nhs as a company? Also I'm abit stuck for answers for questions such as why should i get the join they ask me where I want to be in 5 years do you think it's a good or bad thing if I said I would like to start my nursing in about 3 years? Or should I say I just want to carry on being a carer. Thanks again and sorry for so many questions
Reply 5
Excellent. As you say, having worked in caring environment for so long, you're gonna know your stuff, you'll be fine! Though I do understand that you're anxious about being able to articulate why you should get the job on the day.

I didn't get asked any questions about the NHS per se, however you can tell they are asking questions based around the NHS values. So I would brush up on these: https://www.england.nhs.uk/2014/02/nhs-values-in-action/

Expressing why you should get the job is really just about showing you know your stuff and you are passionate about it.
Remember as well that you are going to have lots of examples to draw from with all of the experience you have, so take advantage of that! Your answers should be along the lines of 'I think that effective communication is so important in care work, for example one time when I was working in this care home...'

In terms of your career goals, I think you should be honest. The NHS is generally speaking very supportive with development, the standard appraisal template encourages management to assess your long-term goals. Also it's not like you only plan to stay there for 3 months, 3 years is quite a while!
I don't know if the team I work in is representative of the whole NHS, but in the first week I was asked by the CTM and the consultant what I wanted to do long-term.

Some advice that applies to all interviews is just to practice some questions with a family member or friend. It also helps to reduce the nerves if you have already said the key points out loud before.
I want to be healthcare Assistant, and
Interview on 25th

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending