The Student Room Group

Am I being illegally robbed of my holiday entitlement?

I work in a pre-school, I'm contracted 30 hours a week (term time only - 2 days a week at 9 hours and two days a week at 4 hours) and usually work throughout the holidays.

My holiday entitlement is 148.04 hours a year. If I take one day off, I am paid 9.25 hours, the equivalent of a 'standard' full days work within the company, even though I only work 9 or 4 hour shifts.

My employer automatically takes away 9.25 hours of my holidays for each of the two bank holidays which fall in term time. So that leaves me with 129.54 holiday hours. Dividing that by 9.25 hours, I'm left with just 14 days holiday a year? Is this right? I feel like I'm getting far less than I should!
Original post by emilyyou
I work in a pre-school, I'm contracted 30 hours a week (term time only - 2 days a week at 9 hours and two days a week at 4 hours) and usually work throughout the holidays.

My holiday entitlement is 148.04 hours a year. If I take one day off, I am paid 9.25 hours, the equivalent of a 'standard' full days work within the company, even though I only work 9 or 4 hour shifts.

My employer automatically takes away 9.25 hours of my holidays for each of the two bank holidays which fall in term time. So that leaves me with 129.54 holiday hours. Dividing that by 9.25 hours, I'm left with just 14 days holiday a year? Is this right? I feel like I'm getting far less than I should!

Approach your employer and sit down and talk to them. Seriously, no harm will be done - only good will come from it. Either you are right or they are right - but by approaching them - it will be resolved in a civil manner for both parties.

I had this problem at my first job, and like a real man I approached my line manager and sat down with him to discuss about my annual leave entitlement. Sure enough, we both realised that I was entitled to an extra two days and before you know it - I used them both towards the end of my contract.

Some things you got to do yourself as opposed to asking people on here.
Reply 2
No, bank holidays are included in annual leave to meet statutory requirements.

https://www.gov.uk/holiday-entitlement-rights/entitlement
Original post by emilyyou

Are you in the UK or US?
Im surprised they deduct for bank holidays.

Your contract should say how your holidays are calculated. You should get pro rata holidays based on what your contract says.
After bank holidays, you're left with 14 days, which is more or less 3 weeks. That sounds about right if you are full time.

However- what exactly do you mean by you "usually work through the holidays"? If you're working a full year, then it doesn't make sense why your employer is only deducting term time bank hols. Also - when can you take leave? Is it only out of term time?
They should deduct based on the hours you work on that day, not just a full day ever time you take holiday.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Trinculo
After bank holidays, you're left with 14 days, which is more or less 3 weeks. That sounds about right if you are full time.

However- what exactly do you mean by you "usually work through the holidays"? If you're working a full year, then it doesn't make sense why your employer is only deducting term time bank hols. Also - when can you take leave? Is it only out of term time?

Mate I think you hit the wrong key. Either that or you live in an alternate reality where a week isn't 7 days long but 4.67 days long lol
Reply 7
Original post by Fujoshi
Mate I think you hit the wrong key. Either that or you live in an alternate reality where a week isn't 7 days long but 4.67 days long lol

Working days.
Reply 8
Original post by meenu89
Working days.

Some people do work weekends, although as OP works 4 days a week would she not get 3 weeks 2 days off?
Original post by Fujoshi
Some people do work weekends, although as OP works 4 days a week would she not get 3 weeks 2 days off?

This is why it would be critical to know which days the OP works, and whether or not she works all year as a matter of course.
Reply 10
Original post by Fujoshi

Know many people who work 7 day weeks? :tongue:

Original post by Fujoshi

OP works in a pre-school. Judging by the OP she works two days at 9 hours and three days at 4 hours, giving the total 30 hour weeks. As three of the days are half days, her minimum statutory holidays would be 3.5 days multiplied by 5.6, giving 19.6 days. Bank holidays would be included in this amount. Bear in mind this is minimum, she may get more.

If OP doesn't work during certain times of the year (e.g. Summer?) then the minimum would reduce further.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending