The Student Room Group

Optical isomers for complex ion

1486334080021-1673363944.jpg for this question, here is my answer but it is different to the mark scheme .
Attachment not found
my water molecules are facing opposite to each other but the answer is different.
Attachment not found
thanks
Original post by coconut64
1486334080021-1673363944.jpg for this question, here is my answer but it is different to the mark scheme .
Attachment not found
my water molecules are facing opposite to each other but the answer is different.
Attachment not found
thanks

I am not 100% sure, however I think only cis isomers can be optical isomers, not trans.
Reply 2
Original post by slowdive
I am not 100% sure, however I think only cis isomers can be optical isomers, not trans.

Why is that ? Thanks
Original post by coconut64
Why is that ? Thanks

optical isomers have to be none superimposable mirror images.

The two structures you've drawn are superimposable (ie they are identical!)

If you can't see why the are superimposable try building a model (if you have access to a model kit) if not then thing about rotating the right hand image you've drawn by 90 degrees, hopefully you can see that its the same as the left hand image.
Reply 4
Original post by MexicanKeith
optical isomers have to be none superimposable mirror images.

The two structures you've drawn are superimposable (ie they are identical!)

If you can't see why the are superimposable try building a model (if you have access to a model kit) if not then thing about rotating the right hand image you've drawn by 90 degrees, hopefully you can see that its the same as the left hand image.

Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest