The Student Room Group

Student finance for independent students by SLC

Are you an independent student needing advice on what evidence you might need? Or perhaps you're wondering if you would be classed as independent student? Rodger is here to help.

Rodger has been working for Student Finance England for four years and has an excellent experience in handling all types of queries.

Please be aware all answers will be posted on Tuesday 7 February.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Hi, how do you class as an independent student? What is the criteria?

Thanks
I will be classed as an independent student when I start university due to my parents being deceased. but will continue where I currently live so what category will I fall under for the Maintenance loan. Also what sort of evidence would I need to send if any.
Reply 3
Hello,
I am a mature student studying access course at the moment and I took a loan from advanced learning loan. I am wondering if I don't get a place at uni this year and reapply next year, will the loan be written off or is it just when going to university straight on the following year? And how is that going to affect the application for a loan regarding the uni course?
Another question, please. When applying to a loan, is it only one time that will cover
[QUOTE=Student Money Week
2017;69749382]Are you an independent student needing advice on what evidence you might need? Or perhaps you're wondering if you would be classed as independent student? Rodger is here to help.

Rodger has been working for Student Finance England for four years and has an excellent experience in handling all types of queries.

Reply 4
sorry, the question was sent before I finished it by mistake.
the question was, do I have to apply for a loan each year of the uni course or is it one time application that will cover the years of the course? Sorry for this but I am totally new to this.
thank you very much for your help.
Original post by Student Money Week 2017
Are you an independent student needing advice on what evidence you might need? Or perhaps you're wondering if you would be classed as independent student? Rodger is here to help.

Asked on behalf of KMLeeson:

Can I apply as an independent student even if I still live in my parents home. I've worked and supported myself otherwise for the past 4 years.
I am 21 years old student who is applying as a migrant worker. I am not clear on whether i am a dipendent or indipendent student. When i filled up the form i noticed that it looked like i should be classified as dipendent student because of my age (section 7) i am not too sure because my migrant worker status suggests i am really indipendent. Also when i filled section 12 i noticed the wording references HM Revenue & Customs, which seems to indicate that the form has not intended for migrant worker students - as obviously my parents are resident abroad
Original post by hannolan
Hi, how do you class as an independent student? What is the criteria?

Thanks

A customer who is under 25 years old, may wish to be classed as independent.

are 25 or over before the start of the academic year

are under 25 and married/divorced

have care of a child

are married or in a civil partnership

have no living parents

are irreconcilably estranged from their parents

have been the subject of a care order

cannot find their parents or it's not reasonably practical to get in touch with them

student can also be considered independent if they supported themselves financially for at least three years prior to the start of their course.

any other information or clarification please call - 0300 100 0607
%��['>`
Original post by Northolt999
I will be classed as an independent student when I start university due to my parents being deceased. but will continue where I currently live so what category will I fall under for the Maintenance loan. Also what sort of evidence would I need to send if any.

Hi
You would be classed a independent Student based on the information in your post,
and that will continue for the duration of your course
Evidence required - original/certified copy of the Death Certificate

If further clarification needed please call - 0300 100 0607

Kind regards

Rodger
n/x-jav�[��9�
Original post by nuha7
sorry, the question was sent before I finished it by mistake.
the question was, do I have to apply for a loan each year of the uni course or is it one time application that will cover the years of the course? Sorry for this but I am totally new to this.
thank you very much for your help.

Hi
Yes you do need to apply each year for funding, this gives students the opportunity to change courses or take gap years.

For further clarification please call - 0300 100 0607
Kind regards

Rodger
��[f�9
Original post by CJ
Asked on behalf of KMLeeson:

Can I apply as an independent student even if I still live in my parents home. I've worked and supported myself otherwise for the past 4 years.

Hi
A student can also be considered independent if they supported themselves financially for at least three years prior to the start of their course. The three years can include periods when they were:

in paid full-time employment

36 months (3 years) worth of evidence is required; however it does not have to be consecutive years.

P60; month 12/week 52 wage slip; benefit receipt letters; Employers letters; Tax returns; accounts.
For further clarification please call - 0300 100 0607
Kind regards
Rodger
Original post by Skidrow181
I am 21 years old student who is applying as a migrant worker. I am not clear on whether i am a dipendent or indipendent student. When i filled up the form i noticed that it looked like i should be classified as dipendent student because of my age (section 7) i am not too sure because my migrant worker status suggests i am really indipendent. Also when i filled section 12 i noticed the wording references HM Revenue & Customs, which seems to indicate that the form has not intended for migrant worker students - as obviously my parents are resident abroad

Hi

As a Migrant worker you can be classed as independent but there is more to it, for your particular situation

Please call - 0300 100 0607 so we can confirm

Kind regards

Rodger
I live with my grandparents but have worked full time for the past 4 years. I support myself financially. How does effect my maintenance loan?
Original post by nuha7
Hello,
I am a mature student studying access course at the moment and I took a loan from advanced learning loan. I am wondering if I don't get a place at uni this year and reapply next year, will the loan be written off or is it just when going to university straight on the following year? And how is that going to affect the application for a loan regarding the uni course?
Another question, please. When applying to a loan, is it only one time that will cover

Hi
For further information on the Advanced learning loan
Please call - 0300 100 0619 so our dedicated Advanced learning loans team
can advise you
Kind regards

Rodger
Original post by Kphipps712
I live with my grandparents but have worked full time for the past 4 years. I support myself financially. How does effect my maintenance loan?

Hi
You will still be entitled to the maintenance loan. As you have self funded for the last 4 years it means you will be classed as independent and can apply for the higher amount of loan if needed

Kind regards

Rodger
��[i�9M
Thanks for all your questions. If there’s anything else you want to ask us, check the calendar to see what’s coming up for the rest of the week.

Latest

Trending

Trending