The Student Room Group

Haven't applied for graduate jobs and not sure about where to go next?

As the title says really.

I've looked at graduate jobs in different areas and nothing's really appealing to me at the moment.

I spoke to some friends and they're amazed I haven't applied and have sent me into a panick. Have you guys applied and secured jobs yet?

I've been looking at a few options and I'm not sure about where to go next, my options as I see it are:

- Graduate Job
- Masters degree (would need to save some money)
- Low-paid internship over the summer
- Teach english abroad (possibly South Korea after looking at some different places)
- Low paid job back home (retail)

So, it would be awesome to hear what you guys are doing/ planning on doing. Also, any advice people who've graduated have would be great too.

Original post by thatguy170296
As the title says really.

I've looked at graduate jobs in different areas and nothing's really appealing to me at the moment.

I spoke to some friends and they're amazed I haven't applied and have sent me into a panick. Have you guys applied and secured jobs yet?

I've been looking at a few options and I'm not sure about where to go next, my options as I see it are:

- Graduate Job
- Masters degree (would need to save some money)
- Low-paid internship over the summer
- Teach english abroad (possibly South Korea after looking at some different places)
- Low paid job back home (retail)

So, it would be awesome to hear what you guys are doing/ planning on doing. Also, any advice people who've graduated have would be great too.

Whilst you are still at uni book an appointment at your uni careers centre to explore options so hopefully you can find something. Also do you have any work experience?

Don't forget there are graduate roles outside graduate jobs, these tend to be advertised when their is a vacancy to be filled rather than months in advance.

Don't do a masters degree if you don't know what your plan is after, otherwise you land up in the same situation just a year after.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jelly1000
Whilst you are still at uni book an appointment at your uni careers centre to explore options so hopefully you can find something. Also do you have any work experience?

Don't do a masters degree if you don't know what your plan is after, otherwise you land up in the same situation just a year after.

I second the masters point. Also, I think you're most likely too late for most Graduate Schemes and at a disadvantage the longer you leave the currently recruiting ones given most are on a first come, first served basis!

Also, internships can be difficult to find as a graduate - although not impossible.

If you do do a masters; please have a serious think about exit strategies and where you're going to go after that. If you have a clear plan, charge on. If you don't, you could remain unemployed (worst case scenario) and save yourself the debt.

P.s. Most schemes typically open around September! I secured attractive offers before Christmas and withdrew from the rest. Good luck!
Original post by pmc:producer
I second the masters point. Also, I think you're most likely too late for most Graduate Schemes and at a disadvantage the longer you leave the currently recruiting ones given most are on a first come, first served basis!

Also, internships can be difficult to find as a graduate - although not impossible.

If you do do a masters; please have a serious think about exit strategies and where you're going to go after that. If you have a clear plan, charge on. If you don't, you could remain unemployed (worst case scenario) and save yourself the debt.

P.s. Most schemes typically open around September! I secured attractive offers before Christmas and withdrew from the rest. Good luck!

Depends on the sector, in mine 99% go to graduates.
Original post by jelly1000
Depends on the sector, in mine 99% go to graduates.

Vast majority I had a look at before my internship were only open to penultimate year students or graduates with a confirmed masters...

Of course it'll vary by sector though.
Original post by pmc:producer

Thanks, you're probably right, I taken my current course of study, computing, as a BTEC and then a degree, which makes me feel like my options are slim because I don't enjoy computing much anymore.

I'll take your advice about the masters though, perhaps work abroad teaching English, as that seems interesting to me at the moment, and gives me sometime to evaluate my career.
I got offered two graduate jobs but i'm doing a postgrad instead,
you've still got time to work it out. If you don't enjoy computing i'd do a masters/postgrad in something else and change, although alot of places just ask for a degree rather than a specific subject
I'd emphasise not doing a job for the sake of it too, if you can avoid it. A grad scheme is 1 - 2 years, so finding something you'll enjoy is important too, if you go for that route!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jackieox
I got offered two graduate jobs but i'm doing a postgrad instead,
you've still got time to work it out. If you don't enjoy computing i'd do a masters/postgrad in something else and change, although alot of places just ask for a degree rather than a specific subject

Thanks, definitely something to consider. Hope your postgrad goes well!
Original post by shadowdweller
I'd emphasise not doing a job for the sake of it too, if you can avoid it. A grad scheme is 1 - 2 years, so finding something you'll enjoy is important too, if you go for that route!

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's good advice, I keep looking short-term instead of long, thanks!
Depends what sector you are in. I didn't apply for graduate schemes during my final year (wanted to concentrate on my finals, and wasn't 100% sure what type of role/sector I wanted to commit to). I applied and got an internship before I graduated which I completed in the summer, then did another internship (unpaid which isn't ideal) which I got a job from. I got promoted within 3 weeks - the quickest promotion known in the company.

So I'm a real advocate for internships for both giving you key work experience that impresses, as well as helping you to explore different fields. I didn't have a problem getting an internship as a graduate, but I'm looking at the health/public sector, whereas some companies like large investment banks or marketing firms are very strict about their internships. Even so, you could still find a good internship in a smaller finance or marketing firm (or whatever you're interested in) - there are lots of off-cycle or winter internships not just marketed at students.

Would advise against doing a masters for the sake of it.

Teaching English abroad would be fun and I know lots of people who've had great experiences with it, but make sure you understand how this fits into your wider career plan - it might be worth getting more specific work experience such as an internship in the summer, then teaching abroad come autumn for a while so that you have more relevant work experience when you return.
Reply 11
My honest advise; get off your arse and apply!

Not being bothered to apply for jobs is NOT a good reason to end of doing a masters, a gap year or any of the other options listed. It doesn't sound like you have any reason to want to do those things, other than a lack of drive to go and find the right job.

Get on with it right away. The first application is hardest, once you've got through that you can recycle a lot of the prep.
I'm in exactly the same position but I graduated in July 2016 and have been working in retail ever since. I've applied for grad jobs since Sept but have been unsuccessful in every application, mainly down to the numerical tests. I really regret not applying whilst in my final year but there are definitely grad schemes still open or even entry level positions which I really recommend going for because struggling on minimum wage is not fun!

If you're wanting to teach abroad though my friend is really enjoying her time with Chatteris, Hong Kong and couldn't recommend it enough. It's not South Korea but maybe worth checking out?
Original post by Missy_ls
I'm in exactly the same position but I graduated in July 2016 and have been working in retail ever since. I've applied for grad jobs since Sept but have been unsuccessful in every application, mainly down to the numerical tests. I really regret not applying whilst in my final year but there are definitely grad schemes still open or even entry level positions which I really recommend going for because struggling on minimum wage is not fun!

If you're wanting to teach abroad though my friend is really enjoying her time with Chatteris, Hong Kong and couldn't recommend it enough. It's not South Korea but maybe worth checking out?

There are graduate level jobs around, seperate from grad schemes, which just require a CV & cover letter. Still competitive of course, but less hurdles to pass.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending