The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
As an EU student, can I get a maintenance loan as well as a tuition loan? The student finance website is very unclear about the maintenance loan and I can't seem to find a straightforward answer. If I can't get a maintenance loan, is there any kind of other support available to pay for accommodation? If there isn't and I have to pay for everything no my own, I won't be able to afford it.
Hi,

I am an EU student but live and study in the UK for 3 years. I want to apply for maintenance loan as a child of migrant workers. Can I apply online? If so, do I apply normally as other English students? What documents do I need to post to the student finance as evidence?

Thank you
Reply 3
What is changing for EU students now that Brexit has happened?
Also, I've been living in the UK for 10 years now- will I still be affected by the changes?
Reply 4
As an EU student who doesn't live in the U.K., will I continue to receive the student loan throughout the duration of my course starting this fall?
Hello,

I'm a first year student nurse and I'm also from the EU (France) but i've been in the U.k. for 4 years. I was wondering how i could apply for the Maintenanxe Loan that nurses also get from Student Finance?

Thank you
Reply 6
Dear all,

I am an EU student from Spain and I have been offered a place to do a taught MA at the University of Nottingham starting in September 2017. I would like to apply for the PG loan and I know I will be asked for proof of address when applying for it. The thing is that, even though I have been living in Spain since 2008, I have changed house many times, and so it is a bit hard to get the document from the city council. Is there another way to show proof of address? (for example, a document from the social security agency in Spain - I have a social security number and I have been working and also got benefits at some point -; my ID card shows my address as well). Anyway, I hope you can help me out.

Kind regards,

Romina
Posting on behalf of MonroeX:

Hi everybody,

1) I am starting university in September 2017 hopefully so when do I apply for a student loan and what are the deadlines? If, for example, I'll apply after 1st of June, won't it be too late? On the link in the top passage it says that you can't apply for 2017/2018 yet.

2) Is there any competitive basis for applicants, or every applicant will get loan?

3) am I eligible for the loan if I'm a citizen of Lithuania, member of EU, I was born in Lithuania, but for the last six years I study in Russia and I don't have Russian citizenship? My home address in Lithuania, my parents live in Lithuania too.

4) if I have two offers, can I apply for the loan only for one chosen university, or both of them? I have one conditional offer, but I'm not sure that I'll finish with required overall grade. What will be if I'll get loan, but I won't get unconditional offer?

https://www.gov.uk/apply-online-for-student-finance

Thank you for your help!
Posted on behalf of MM75:

I have been living in London for 5 years, but not continually (two gaps of roughly six months in my EU country of origin). I can prove this through my bank account, where it can be found my pays and my expenses. Unfortunately no payslips. I have also some tenants agreements and my name for over 5 years on the water bills of my main residence.
Can i claim the maintenance loan in Wales? And in Scotland?

Thank you
Hello,

As a Dutch national who's been living in England for 3 years now (currently in yr 13) can I apply for a maintenance loan as a child of a migrant worker (my mum works 16 hours a week for about 2 years now)? I'm ap plying for a 3 yr BSc course.

Thank you.
Hi, this is Julie and I'll be here until 1pm to answer your questions on EU Student Finance.
Original post by tinnekevt
As an EU student, can I get a maintenance loan as well as a tuition loan? The student finance website is very unclear about the maintenance loan and I can't seem to find a straightforward answer. If I can't get a maintenance loan, is there any kind of other support available to pay for accommodation? If there isn't and I have to pay for everything no my own, I won't be able to afford it.

Hi tinnekevt, Applying as an EU student for EU funding is Tuition Fee only. To apply for maintenance loan/tuition fees through Student Finance England you would need to have lived in the UK for 5 or more years prior to your course starting. Speak to your university/college to see if they can offer additional support e.g. bursary.
Reply 12
Original post by Julie Morley
Hi, this is Julie and I'll be here until 1pm to answer your questions on EU Student Finance.

Hi Julie,

My name is Izabela, I am a Brazilian citizen maried with an EU citizen (Italian), I live in Europe (Italy) since March 2015. I'd like to know if I am eligible for student loan from September 2017? If not, what about from September 2018? Thanks!
Would EU nationals (students) who have been living (with their parents in the UK for more 5 years eligible for loan maintenance and university fees ?
Original post by juliamalin
Hi,

I am an EU student but live and study in the UK for 3 years. I want to apply for maintenance loan as a child of migrant workers. Can I apply online? If so, do I apply normally as other English students? What documents do I need to post to the student finance as evidence?

Thank you

Hi juliamalin, You can apply online to SFE, completing the same application as other English students. By answering the questions in the application re EEA national working in UK, your application would be assessed by the Migrant Worker Team.

Evidence needed:

* students passport or national id card
* parents passport or national id card
* Birth certificate
* Evidence of parents employment in UK (copy of contract of employment, last 3 months payslips, most recent P60 or most recent Self Assessed Tax return, last 3-6 months invoices with coinciding bank statements, evidence of Class 2 NIC contributions if Self Employed)
* If you are over 21 on the first day of the first academic year of your course you must provide evidence that you have a physical or financial dependency on your parent/step-parent.

Hope this answers your question

Julie
Original post by Gabimiel
What is changing for EU students now that Brexit has happened?
Also, I've been living in the UK for 10 years now- will I still be affected by the changes?

Hi Gabimiel, existing students who currently receive loans/grants will continue to receive funding until they finish their course. New students for 17/18 Academic Year, the rules to apply are not changed. If you are eligible for support you will receive this for the duration of your studies.

Thanks

Julie
Original post by denkata
As an EU student who doesn't live in the U.K., will I continue to receive the student loan throughout the duration of my course starting this fall?

Good afternoon denkata,

New students applying for 17/18 Academic Year apply as normal. The rules have not changed. If you are eligible for support you will receive this for the duration of your course.

Thanks

Julie
Original post by chrysoberyl
Hello,

I'm a first year student nurse and I'm also from the EU (France) but i've been in the U.k. for 4 years. I was wondering how i could apply for the Maintenanxe Loan that nurses also get from Student Finance?

Thank you

Hi chrysoberyl,

If you are a 1st year student in 16/17 or 17/18 Academic Year then you will need to have 5 years residency in the UK from the start of your course to get ML funding from SFE.

Thanks

Julie
Hi Julie, I'm 30 years old, I'd like to ask about possible student financing , I live in U.K. Since 2010 full time working, now was granted permanent residency and I would like to get a degree here. Thing is I already studied in Poland (equivalent to bachelors degree) when there was a "boom" for it ( unis, academies were getting money based on a number of people that got in to put it shortly ,in the end low quality , only paper ) and wonder if there's any way around that ? Because the the quality of these two systems can't really be compared, still it's called a degree
Original post by Rormiga
Dear all,

I am an EU student from Spain and I have been offered a place to do a taught MA at the University of Nottingham starting in September 2017. I would like to apply for the PG loan and I know I will be asked for proof of address when applying for it. The thing is that, even though I have been living in Spain since 2008, I have changed house many times, and so it is a bit hard to get the document from the city council. Is there another way to show proof of address? (for example, a document from the social security agency in Spain - I have a social security number and I have been working and also got benefits at some point -; my ID card shows my address as well). Anyway, I hope you can help me out.

Kind regards,

Romina

Good afternoon Romina,

I can only answer questions regarding undergraduate funding. Please repost your query in the daily finance surgeries where your question will be answered.

Thanks

Julie

Latest

Trending

Trending