The Student Room Group

Chemistry homework help pls!

Can someone pls help me with this question and explain how they work it out because I don't know. Thanks in advance :smile:

Q.) Compound G, C3H5NO, shows two triplets and a singlet in its n.m.r spectrum. It can be oxidised in two stages via H (triplet and doublet) to J (two singlets). Heating with dilute HCL converts J into K (two singlets). G can be dehydrated to L which can be polymerised to M. Identify G,H,J,K,L and M
Original post by emwilliams044
Can someone pls help me with this question and explain how they work it out because I don't know. Thanks in advance :smile:

Q.) Compound G, C3H5NO, shows two triplets and a singlet in its n.m.r spectrum. It can be oxidised in two stages via H (triplet and doublet) to J (two singlets). Heating with dilute HCL converts J into K (two singlets). G can be dehydrated to L which can be polymerised to M. Identify G,H,J,K,L and M

Draw out a spider diagram (flow scheme) showing the unknown letters.

Try to identify the transformation from the reagents used.

Use the spectral data to give you possible choices.
Original post by charco
Draw out a spider diagram (flow scheme) showing the unknown letters.

Try to identify the transformation from the reagents used.

Use the spectral data to give you possible choices.

But I don't know the transformations betweeen each compound to work it out because I don't understand how compound G is oxidised and the whole triplet and doublet thing either.
But I don't know the transformations betweeen each compound to work it out because I don't understand how compound G is oxidised and the whole triplet and doublet thing either.

It's all bits and pieces giving clues.

The number of signals in NMR tells you about the different environments in which the hydrogen atoms are.

The splitting gives information about hydrogen atoms on adjacent carbons.

If this means nothing to you then you are not ready to attempt this question.
Original post by charco
It's all bits and pieces giving clues.

The number of signals in NMR tells you about the different environments in which the hydrogen atoms are.

The splitting gives information about hydrogen atoms on adjacent carbons.

If this means nothing to you then you are not ready to attempt this question.

I know what signals on an NMR and splitting patterns give. It's just the compound with that particular molecular formula has to be oxidised and I don't know via which other compound it can do this. But thanks for trying to explain the question :smile:
I know what signals on an NMR and splitting patterns give. It's just the compound with that particular molecular formula has to be oxidised and I don't know via which other compound it can do this. But thanks for trying to explain the question :smile:

The fact it's oxidised in two steps is a big hint!
Original post by MexicanKeith
The fact it's oxidised in two steps is a big hint!

Ahh okay thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest