The Student Room Group

Queenie becomes first British monarch to reach SapphireJubilee after 65-year reign

Well done Liz :adore:

Britain's longest reigning monarch - she overtook her great great grandmother, Victoria, in 2015 - has already commemorated her Silver, Golden and Diamond Jubilees.

Today, after 23,742 days on the throne, it's the start of the first Sapphire Jubilee in British history.

For the Queen, it's a moment for contemplation rather than celebration - as it is also the anniversary of her father's death.

Full story here

Anyone else absolutely love The Crown on Netflix? I was absolutely fascinated, so intrigued by life at Buckingham Palace.

Queen Liz has seen so much change - more change in the world than any other British Monarch during their reign.

When she began her reign butter was still rationed, now we we can pretty much anything we want delivered straight to our door.

Anyone else got any fascinating facts?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by She-Ra

Full story here

Anyone else absolutely love The Queen on Netflix? I was absolutely fascinated, so intrigued by life at Buckingham Palace.

Queen Liz has seen so much change - more change in the world than any other British Monarch during their reign.

When she began her reign butter was still rationed, now we we can pretty much anything we want delivered straight to our door.

Me too I'm so proud of her :u:
Original post by Batgirl98
Me too I'm so proud of her :u:

Me too :smile:

But then I'm a bit of a traditionalist and love the fact that we still have the royal family. When I go to London, I always try to walk past Buckingham Palace and have a good look at what's going on.
Wahey! Gratz to her :smile:
Her sister, Margaret, had a much happier life. Playboy millionaire boyfriends and hanging out with them on their yachts in the South of France; doing practically whatever she wanted her whole life. Only real responsibilities was being patron to a few charities. The Queen became Queen however when she was 21. OK, she lives somewhere very nice and has servants and some nice jewels, but she has never really had any freedom. Don't envy her at all.
Original post by markova21
Her sister, Margaret, had a much happier life. Playboy millionaire boyfriends and hanging out with them on their yachts in the South of France; doing practically whatever she wanted her whole life. Only real responsibilities was being patron to a few charities. The Queen became Queen however when she was 21. OK, she lives somewhere very nice and has servants and some nice jewels, but she has never really had any freedom. Don't envy her at all.

But Margeret couldn't marry her one true love because he was divorced :cry2:

She did have a fabulous wardrobe though and certainly knew how to have fun.
Three cheers to H.R.H. 'Selfless' doesn't even come close.
Original post by She-Ra
But Margeret couldn't marry her one true love because he was divorced :cry2:
She did have a fabulous wardrobe though and certainly knew how to have fun.

That's right; I completely forgot about that.
Wahey gratz to Queenie, you go girl. I despair.

I think the one legacy that Princess Margaret did leave was legitimising royal divorces. She sort of paved the way for acceptability of the 90s crop in a way that she didn't intend, but nevertheless was important.
Original post by She-Ra

Full story here

Anyone else absolutely love The Crown on Netflix? I was absolutely fascinated, so intrigued by life at Buckingham Palace.

Not a fact about HRH so much as Prince Phillip. We were honoured to meet him in 2004 when he was already 83. He practically sprinted up three flights of stairs and then proceeded to whizz around the room. He was incredibly sharp and straight to the point, and I've honestly not seen that level of energy before in someone that age.
Original post by Reality Check
Not a fact about HRH so much as Prince Phillip. We were honoured to meet him in 2004 when he was already 83. He practically sprinted up three flights of stairs and then proceeded to whizz around the room. He was incredibly sharp and straight to the point, and I've honestly not seen that level of energy before in someone that age.

That's such a lovely story - good old Price Phil.

:heart:
Original post by cambio wechsel
Wahey gratz to Queenie, you go girl. I despair.

I spy strangers :smile:
Meh, congrats on living a long time? :unsure:

Not sure I buy that. She can't vote or express a political opinion, does that really mean she has no freedom?
Original post by She-Ra

Full story here

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/queen-marks-sapphire-jubilee-after-65-year-reign/ar-AAmEzR2?li=BBnbcA1&ocid=UP97DHP
:thumbsup:
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/uknews/long-to-reign-over-us-%E2%80%93-best-pictures-of-queen-elizabeth-ii/ss-AAdL38d?li=BBnbfcP&ocid=UP97DHP
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Snufkin
Meh, congrats on living a long time? :unsure:

Not sure I buy that. She can't vote or express a political opinion, does that really mean she has no freedom?

She can't just walk out the front door on her own whenever she feels like it without the Royal Protection people being with her. I read recently her and Phillip like to go into a local restaurant when they are staying in Balmoral. But I doubt they can just turn up on a whim whenever they feel like it. Their chauffeur would need to be available, unless she drove herself. Also at least one royal protection person would have to accompany her as well, so although it may be just the two of them dining at the table there would also be someone else close by, keeping an eye on things. When she's out in public on engagements it would be essential for her to behave in a certain way at all times. Usually with having to fix a smile on her face, even when she doesn't feel like it. Also, has she ever been able to do her own supermarket shopping ? I don't know, but I doubt it.
(edited 7 years ago)
She can't just walk out the front door on her own whenever she feels like it without the Royal Protection people being with her. I read recently her and Phillip like to go into a local restaurant when they are staying in Balmoral. But I doubt they can just turn up on a whim whenever they feel like it. Their chauffeur would need to be available, unless she drove herself. Also at least one royal protection person would have to accompany her as well, so although it may be just the two of them dining at the table there would also be someone else close by, keeping an eye on things. When she's out in public on engagements it would be essential for her to behave in a certain way at all times. Usually with having to fix a smile on her face, even when she doesn't feel like it. Also, has she ever been able to do her own supermarket shopping ? I don't know, but I doubt it.

She could go out incognito. Ditch the tiara for an oversized raincoat, one of those plastic head scarfs old ladies wear and a trolley, nobody would know.
Original post by Snufkin
She could go out incognito. Ditch the tiara for an oversized raincoat, one of those plastic head scarfs old ladies wear and a trolley, nobody would know.

LOL, I suppose. Although I doubt very much she wears a tiara around the "house" anyway !!
Her Majesty has presided over the long years of decay of our country and institutions with great dignity.
I've always assumed her longevity and good health is a consequence of a diet of corgi, green veg and gin.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending