The Student Room Group

Am I being too harsh?

I am in my second year of uni and I recently joined tinder. Most of the people I have matched with are from my uni but the person I have been talking too recently didn't go to uni, she left college and now id just a waitress. I have arranged to meet up with her this week but I can't shake the fact she doesn't really seem intelligent. The way she words messages and the things she says make me think she isn't smart. I feel bad because we do have some similar interests and we seem to get on but I m thinking about cancelling the date because of the fact she isn't at uni. I know I sound really bad but do you think I'm being too harsh and what do you think I should do?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Nah still meet up. Love could blossom you judge people at face value not based on messages
Yeah, meet up you never know what could happen. It could just be a case that's how she texts.
What you got to lose by meeting up
You've made a summary judgement of her intelligence and possible suitability as a date based on a few smartphone messages...really.. :frown:

Why not just go and actually meet her in person and then make a decision? What's the worse that 's going to happen - maybe having to spend 30 minutes with someone and decide they're not for you after alll?
You're being incredibly judgemental, I'd cancel the date just so she doesn't have to witness you in person
Really? you're judging this innocent girl about her intelligence because she didnt go to uni and decided to work to make some money. That is beyond disgusting and you're an extremely shallow person, hope you stay single for a long time. People have their own personal reasons for not going to uni, doesnt mean they are dumb.
I would also suggest meeting up with her. Try to keep an open mind and just see how you feel afterwards. Something to also bear in mind is, you're not choosing the future mother of your children; who you might hope to be intelligent, attractive, tall or whatever. Just enjoy yourself. I wish I had gone on a lot more dates. I think it's a good way to see who ISN'T right for you even more than who is, via a process of elimination.
Some of these replies are quite amusing. I've been on quite a few Tinder dates and yes, I've been able to predict someone's intelligence in advance from their messages and their bio. By all means, still go on the date if you think you guys might get on anyway, but you're not evil for taking intelligence in to account, or for not wanting to meet up with someone you think you won't get on with.
Reply 9
I know it sounds bad but I just think that we won't have many things in common to actually talk about and if there is a big intelligence gap then things might not be great. She does seem nice though and she looks really good so I'm just not sure what to do.
Original post by Anonymous
I am in my second year of uni and I recently joined tinder. Most of the people I have matched with are from my uni but the person I have been talking too recently didn't go to uni, she left college and now id just a waitress. I have arranged to meet up with her this week but I can't shake the fact she doesn't really seem intelligent. The way she words messages and the things she says make me think she isn't smart. I feel bad because we do have some similar interests and we seem to get on but I m thinking about cancelling the date because of the fact she isn't at uni. I know I sound really bad but do you think I'm being too harsh and what do you think I should do?

it is just nasty to say

"she left college and now id just a waitress "
Original post by the bear
it is just nasty to say

Fair enough but its the truth, a waitress isn't exactly a good job. I am not judging her character or personality from that, just the fact she doesn't seem very intelligent and while we seem to get on now I just think the intelligence gap will probably mean we don't have much to talk about.
Fair enough but its the truth, a waitress isn't exactly a good job. I am not judging her character or personality from that, just the fact she doesn't seem very intelligent and while we seem to get on now I just think the intelligence gap will probably mean we don't have much to talk about.

tbh nothing you have posted so far is shining with intelligence ?

please change my mind :h:
it is just nasty to say

The eternal struggle. But that she id is a waitress shouldn't bear on whether ego.
I know it sounds bad but I just think that we won't have many things in common to actually talk about and if there is a big intelligence gap then things might not be great. She does seem nice though and she looks really good so I'm just not sure what to do.

Meet her and see. She might not like you either and think you are shallow or an intellectual snob. There more to a person than just intelligence. You seem more drawn by looks anyway.
Original post by cambio wechsel
The eternal struggle. But that she id is a waitress shouldn't bear on whether ego.

hush jung man
tbh nothing you have posted so far is shining with intelligence ?

please change my mind :h:

How so? For a start I did decent a levels at college and got good grades and ended up in a good uni. Surely that shows intelligence?
Original post by 999tigger
Meet her and see. She might not like you either and think you are shallow or an intellectual snob. There more to a person than just intelligence. You seem more drawn by looks anyway.

How do I seem more drawn by looks? I have mentioned her looks once
How so? For a start I did decent a levels at college and got good grades and ended up in a good uni. Surely that shows intelligence?

more information required.
more information required.

What do you want to know?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending