The Student Room Group

WJEC Information & Communication Technology IT3 (LEGACY) 1243/01 - 16 Jun 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AA923
I have done topics 1-7 so i should be spending 30 minutes on each topic per week ?

Any amount of time will be a help.

Of course this means that you will need to set aside 30 minutes per day (or one hour per day if you do two etc) but if you have the spare time to do this, then by all means do it.

Remember the key of skimming is to keep the information strong in your memory and to improve your ability to recall the points, so don't be too fussy about answering in full sentences etc, just the bare points as you need to know them.

This is how it is possible to cover a whole topic in half an hour (and why I spend three or four days when learning, and maybe a couple of hours when answering properly), because the emphasis is on speed and the fundamentals.

When you have an increased amount of spare time (for example in half terms) - it would stand you in good stead to do what I do and answer the questions properly to train your exam technique.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 101
Original post by PedanticStudent

Of course this means that you will need to set aside 30 minutes per day (or one hour per day if you do two etc) but if you have the spare time to do this, then by all means do it.

Remember the key of skimming is to keep the information strong in your memory and to improve your ability to recall the points, so don't be too fussy about answering in full sentences etc, just the bare points as you need to know them.

This is how it is possible to cover a whole topic in half an hour (and why I spend three or four days when learning, and maybe a couple of hours when answering properly), because the emphasis is on speed and the fundamentals.

When you have an increased amount of spare time (for example in half terms) - it would stand you in good stead to do what I do and answer the questions properly to train your exam technique.

Yes this is what im planning to do because i want my answers to be exacly right with exact marks allocated for example 5 marks is 5 minutes
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 102

Can you please share ur answers to topic 4 and topic 5 questions mike the ones you would write in exams please ? :smile:
any model answers for this question? i cannot find the mark scheme for it either :s

code.png
Reply 104
Anyone got any IT4 coursework for wjec exemplar work?
Really struggling with it and it could make or break my ICT a level
Please any help !
Thanksss

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hehexd
any model answers for this question? i cannot find the mark scheme for it either :s

code.png

https://jacktilson.net/edu/ict/markschemes/summer-2014.pdf

page 15 onwards
Reply 106
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1486457176.802883.jpg

Hi could someone explain this question
I don't fully understand it
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ammenul
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1486457176.802883.jpg

Hi could someone explain this question
I don't fully understand it
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is one of those very poorly constructed questions - the 'with respect to codes of conduct' part is only superficially/borderline relevant if you look at what he's put on the mark scheme. It's kind of all over the shop.

It works by the discussion of one legal factor and one ethical factor from three of a possible six 'examples' on the mark scheme. Just look at them and go with the ones you can make sense of the best.

I cant see this coming up again, but I'd still rehearse it anyway. That goes for any question - you should be able to answer every single question in existence walking into the exam ideally.

Note that further expansion on the five examples is given on the next page the scheme.
http://jacktilson.net/edu/ict/markschemes/summer-2014.pdf - page 13 onwards.

Capture.PNG
Reply 109
Can anyone help me with unit 8 questions plz
@PedanticStudent hey can you help with topic 5 please?
The question states "Discuss 5 possible operational procedures which could be introduced to prevent the misuse of data. Use distinc examples to illustrate these procedures"
And the mark scheme is this
IMG_0339.PNG
What would I put for the last one, to establish procedures for training staff, what would the example be as the mark scheme just says "who/what/when"

Thanks!
Original post by lemonandlime1
@PedanticStudent hey can you help with topic 5 please?
The question states "Discuss 5 possible operational procedures which could be introduced to prevent the misuse of data. Use distinc examples to illustrate these procedures"
And the mark scheme is this
IMG_0339.PNG
What would I put for the last one, to establish procedures for training staff, what would the example be as the mark scheme just says "who/what/when"

Thanks!

You could do examples regarding WHO would be doing the training, WHAT would the training consist of, WHEN would it be done or how often?

For instance: Establish procedures for training staff (1) - Due to the multitude of threats that organisations face today, all personnel who make use of any ICT facilities should undergo awareness training including what could go wrong and what to do if staff identify a security vulnerability etc. The training should occur maybe once per year and be thorough to allow for the skills to be sufficiently developed.

I waffle on a bit here, but the point I am making is fundamentally an example or more of an expansion of the meaning of 'training to minimise threats to data' - as long as you portray this in the context of reducing the threat to data, then you will be fine.
(edited 7 years ago)
You could do examples regarding WHO would be doing the training, WHAT would the training consist of, WHEN would it be done or how often?

For instance: Establish procedures for training staff (1) - Due to the multitude of threats that organisations face today, all personnel who make use of any ICT facilities should undergo awareness training including what could go wrong and what to do if staff identify a security vulnerability etc. The training should occur maybe once per year and be thorough to allow for the skills to be sufficiently developed.

I waffle on a bit here, but the point I am making is fundamentally an example or more of an expansion of the meaning of 'training to minimise threats to data' - as long as you portray this in the context of reducing the threat to data, then you will be fine.

Thank you so much!!!!!
Hi,
I am trying to revise for my IT1 exam, but I'm finding it hard to revise for it. It would be useful if there was a question pack for IT1 as well as there is a question pack for IT3. What is the best way to revise for IT1 then?
Original post by ahsank98
Hi,
I am trying to revise for my IT1 exam, but I'm finding it hard to revise for it. It would be useful if there was a question pack for IT1 as well as there is a question pack for IT3. What is the best way to revise for IT1 then?

Have a look over on page 4 of this thread. The question packs that I have are there in one of the posts on that page.

In terms of approaching revision, I would do it the exact same way as I mentioned on the very first introductory post of this thread.
Hey guys, hope you are all well.

If anybody needs help or advice with anything; content, grade boundaries etc etc... just make a post and I will be glad to assist (or anyone else).
Reply 116
At this stage what do u feel we should have done by now ? Learnt all the topics? And Is it ok if I only learn fears and how you can lesssen fears for unit 7
Original post by AA923
At this stage what do u feel we should have done by now ? Learnt all the topics? And Is it ok if I only learn fears and how you can lesssen fears for unit 7

We have 97 days until the exam at this point, so ideally, I would have everything done by mid-April. This leaves a good 50 odd days to do all the papers.

Personally, I just finished off Topic 9 (the final one) last week and have done three full IT3s since then, but I understand that many of us here are resitting IT1, meaning that you cannot be expected to be at my stage just yet due to the increased work load.

When deciding which questions not to learn and to learn, you need to first ask yourself "How much of a gambler am I" and "What grade do I want" - depending upon this, you can decide. But it would be reasonably safe to only do those two considering how rare topic 7 questions are, let alone in their compulsory form.

If you're a perfectionist like me, then learn absolutely everything, but If you just want a decent grade then you can likely get away with missing out a the odd thing that has only come up like once and did so a long time ago.
Reply 118
I have done everything except topic 9 i am on topic 8 but i feel like the other topics i need to go over then consistently to remember them is that fine ?
Original post by AA923
I have done everything except topic 9 i am on topic 8 but i feel like the other topics i need to go over then consistently to remember them is that fine ?

Yes of course it is. Finish off topic 9 since you are at the end of the course now, then just do your papers (alongside mark schemes if necessary for the first couple) to solidify your knowledge.

But make sure you do any papers you have used markschemes with again without any assistance to get a realistic mark.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending