The Student Room Group

Americans : How can you still love being American?

I don't mean this in an offensive or insulting way but just curious on the offchance there are some Americans here on their opinion. I still see patriotism has huge power in America, even the most intelligent, progressive, liberal says they love America. I get that it is something ingrained since childhood with the pledge of Allegiance and I understand the reasoning behind that.

I just look at America now and I find it hard to see anything to love, except some of the wonderful people I know there. I know a lot of people around the world are patriotic to the point of finding it hard to criticise their country for doing wrong... but in America it has always gone a bit past that... but I just don't think I would be proud of being American right now, personally. I feel like right now the main things people say about being American are starting to apply less and less..e.g. land of the free

Not looking for a debate, would just be interested in hearing an American perspective on their country (if there are Americans on here) cos if I asked any of my American friends/family they would probably take it the wrong way.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Today my American friend was telling me how he managed to get 3 jobs in Melbourne in only a month or so. I'm talking about really good jobs that require a nice CV.

When I asked him how??????

His answer was "You know..I'm American."

............MIND BLOWING...........
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by EC
Today my American friend was telling me how he managed to get 3 jobs in Melbourne in only a month or so. I'm talking about really good jobs that require a nice CV.

American arrogance :colonhash:

(he was probs hella qualified probably...)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EC

Wow xD
Reply 4
Original post by wolfmoon88
American arrogance :colonhash:

(he was probs hella qualified probably...)

Posted from TSR Mobile

But he's only 22....
Original post by EC
But he's only 22....

Ok lol idk I guess Americans are naturally more "adept" at certain jobs... :colonhash:

Good for him :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Americans are typically God-fearing. Even their coins tell us "In God We Trust".
That is why they will never end up like us.
'cause 'murica is the greatiss got damn country on the face of the planet Earth!!
America's culture is built on patriotism and freedom. I didn't initially like this person who moved from San Diego to England, they were too....optimistic? peppy? arrogant? self- absorbed? She was constantly going on about how great America is and I was just like mm kay chill.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm not American but:

You can't define the entire of America with the actions of one man and his supporters. (He didn't even gain the most votes, and only became President of how the electoral system works.) Despite all that's he's done, you can see so many Americans demonstrating against the injustice they see, and I think how they're uniting and protesting to achieve fairness is something to be proud of.
Reply 10
Original post by wolfmoon88
Ok lol idk I guess Americans are naturally more "adept" at certain jobs... :colonhash:

Good for him :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

At least there's not a meme with "but it's in America...."

SO ROMANIA BEAT THEM AT THAT.

Reply 12
Original post by 27FT
America's culture is built on patriotism and freedom. I didn't initially this person who moved from San Diego to England, they were too....optimistic? peppy? arrogant? self- absorbed? She was constantly going on about how great America is and I was just like mm kay chill.

They're so optimistic it drives me insaaaaaaane, all I hear is "AMERICA IS ****ING GREAT" :rofl:
Original post by EC

Nah but there was the "Thanks Obama" and the "It must be the Russians" memes :rofl:
Original post by EC
They're so optimistic it drives me insaaaaaaane, all I hear is "AMERICA IS ****ING GREAT" :rofl:

haha too true. She had been living in California all her life so I'm sure cold miserable little Britain was a massive let down to her xD
Americans have plenty to be proud of. A potential wall and an inelegantly executed travel plan are just minor points against the achievements of the whole nation.
As a 'new' country, I think it's fair to say it's been fairly successful.
Centuries of self-perpetuating a misguided sense of greatness has left an average American a completely paradoxical person. They will acknowledge that other countries have it better, but never fail to chant their empty mottoes at the end of the day. There's a belief they have that just being who they are makes them great - even if other countries are freer, wealthier, smarter and healthier.
Original post by EC

Are you Romanian?
Reply 19
Original post by 27FT
Are you Romanian?

Yes, I am. Hiii.

Quick Reply