The Student Room Group

Physics or maths??

I need help choosing which of the two subjects to drop. Right now (international GCSE), physics is my strongest subject and much easier compared to maths. However, many people have been telling me that at A-level, things start to become difficult. (P.S I'm only doing the first year of A-level)
Original post by uvuvwevwevwe
I need help choosing which of the two subjects to drop. Right now (international GCSE), physics is my strongest subject and much easier compared to maths. However, many people have been telling me that at A-level, things start to become difficult. (P.S I'm only doing the first year of A-level)

I do both right now (I'm at AS level) and I find physics ABSOLUTELY Solid whereas maths is way easier. Maths is just practise the stuff until you understand it whereas physics you may think you understand it and then it turns out you're absolutely clueless. I had an A* in both subjects at GCSE and my current grades now are A for Maths and C for physics. Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by em_lj
I do both right now (I'm at AS level) and I find physics ABSOLUTELY Solid whereas maths is way easier. Maths is just practise the stuff until you understand it whereas physics you may think you understand it and then it turns out you're absolutely clueless. I had an A* in both subjects at GCSE and my current grades now are A for Maths and C for physics. Hope this helps :smile:

Original post by em_lj

Thanks for the reply.
Did you find physics or maths easier at GCSE level, because for me there's a significant difference?
Original post by uvuvwevwevwe
Thanks for the reply.
Did you find physics or maths easier at GCSE level, because for me there's a significant difference?

I didn't find either of them particularly hard but I found that maths took a lot more work for me as there were lots of gaps in my knowledge that I needed more help and practise to sort out. Physics on the other hand I picked up really easily but as soon as I got to AS level it completely swapped.
Reply 4
Both at GCSE and A Level, anyone I have talked to have found Maths by far the easier out of the two, most of Maths is just learning how to do the questions and learning the formulas, physics however by comparison requires far more in-depth knowledge and understanding
a level physics is nothing like gcse physics, personally i find it much harder than maths. What grades are you getting in gcse maths? as long as you're at about an A and you do loaaads of past papers and practice questions, a level maths should be fine

Quick Reply

Latest