The Student Room Group

Speaker declares Trump too racist and sexist to speak in Westminster Hall

This poll is closed

Is Speaker Bercow right to refuse President Trump?

Yes 62%
No 28%
Not sure10%
Total votes: 714
Wow. :eek4:

Speaker Bercow has declared Trump to be too sexist and racist to be permitted to speak to Parliament.

John Bercow, the Speaker, has just said being invited to give a speech in Westminster Hall for a foreign leader is an “earned honour”. And it is not an invitation that automatically comes with a state visit, he says.

He says is is one of three people that would have to approve an invitation to someone to speak in Westminster Hall. He would have been opposed to an address by President Trump in Westminster Hall even before the migrant ban. Since that ban, he is even more opposed to it, he says.

He says he has less influence over whether Trump gets invited to speak in the Royal Gallery (which is in the Lords). But he would oppose that too, he says. He says this is because of the House’s opposition to “racism and sexism”. Some MPs applaud this statement.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2017/feb/06/may-to-meet-netanyahu-ahead-of-brexit-debate-in-commons-live-updates

Take that and chew on it, Trump! :lol: :angry:

This must be a first for a very long time - a Speaker of the British Parliament denying speaking rights to the American President, due to his unsuitable conduct.

If it wasn't tragic, it would be funny.

Scroll to see replies

Lovely balance in the poll options...
Sounds like Bercrow is a bit of a retard. Nothing Trump's has said politically is racist or sexist.
Original post by cambio wechsel
Lovely balance in the poll options...

Just my odd soh. :bigsmile:
Reply 4
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Wow. :eek4:

Speaker Bercow has declared Trump to be too sexist and racist to be permitted to speak to Parliament.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2017/feb/06/may-to-meet-netanyahu-ahead-of-brexit-debate-in-commons-live-updates

Take that and chew on it, Trump! :lol: :angry:

This must be a first for a very long time - a Speaker of the British Parliament denying speaking rights to the American President, due to his unsuitable conduct.

If it wasn't tragic, it would be funny.

You beat me to it!

This is genius by Bercow.
Original post by jneill
You beat me to it!

This is genius by Bercow.

He's a real character.

I'm waiting for the tedious refutations by May, Johnson, etc, "it's not his decision, it's above his pay grade, etc, etc, blather, blather." :lol:
If Trump is blocked from speaking, his inevitable hissy fit on Twitter will probably crash the internet.
Original post by jneill
You beat me to it!

Get the Guardian app and enable push notifications. :shakecane:
I thought that Michael Martin was the worst speaker ever. But no, along came John Bercow, the biggest womble ever to grace the chair.
Original post by Quantex
If Trump is blocked from speaking, his inevitable hissy fit on Twitter will probably crash the internet.

From now on, if Twitter goes down, Trump will immediately blame one or more of Mexico/China/Democratic Party/National Parks Service/City of Seattle/Federal Judiciary and nuke them immediately. Oh, he will check it first with Steve Bannon and Jared Kushner, just to get the sensible view.
Original post by Hydeman

They are totally the best thing ever! :clap2:
Reply 11
He's a real character.

I'm waiting for the tedious refutations by May, Johnson, etc, "it's not his decision, it's above his pay grade, etc, etc, blather, blather." :lol:

He's also said he would object to the use of teh Royal Gallery too (but he acknowledges he doesn't have the right to decline it there).

What I will say is this. An address by a foreign leader to both House of Parliament is not an automatic right. It is an earned honour. Moreover, there are many precedents for state visits to take place to our country which do not include an address to both Houses of Parliament. That’s the first point.

In relation to Westminster Hall, there are three key holder to Westminster Hall: the speaker of the House of Commons, the speaker of the House of Lords and the lord great chamberlain. Ordinarily we are able to work by consensus and the hall would be used for a purpose such as an address or another purpose by agreement of the three key holders.

I must say to the honourable gentleman, to all who signed his early day motion and to others with strong views about this matter on either side of the argument, that before the imposition of the migrant ban I would myself have been strongly opposed to an address by President Trump in Westminster Hall. After the imposition of the migrant ban by President Trump I am even more strongly opposed to an address by President Trump in Westminster Hall.

So far as the Royal Gallery is concerned, again I operate on advice, I do not perhaps have as strong a say in that matter. It is in a different part of the building [ie, in the House of Lords, not the Commons], although customarily an invitation to a visiting leader to deliver an address there would be issued in the names of the two speakers. I would not wish to issue an invitation to President Trump to speak in the Royal Gallery.

And I concluded by saying to the honourable gentleman this. We value our relationshjip with the United States. If a state visit takes place, that is way beyond beyond and above the pay grade of the Speaker.

However, as far as this place [the House of Commons] is concerned, I feel very strongly that our opposition to racism and to sexism and our support for equality before the law and an independent judiciary are hugely important considerations in the House of Commons.
Reply 12
Original post by Hydeman

I have it - just too slow to type it up...!
Original post by Trinculo
I thought that Michael Martin was the worst speaker ever. But no, along came John Bercow, the biggest womble ever to grace the chair.

Is that just that you don't like his politics, or generally?

He has to be better than Martin, no matter what you think of the former.
Original post by jneill
I have it - just too slow to type it up...!

Poor slow fingered person. :console: :hugs:
Reply 15
I can't really recall Trump saying something overtly sexist or racist in his campaign or as president. Sure, in the past he's been pretty blatantly misogynistic, but I see no reason to believe he would be in any speaking position nowadays. He's a total douchebag and I hate what he's doing, but this declaration seems strange to me.
Good.

Why should Trump get to speak at Westminster Hall when only 5 foreign leaders have done so since WW2? And only one of those five were a US President.

Being able to speak at Westminster hall is an extremely rare privilege and Trump has done nothing to earn himself the chance to speak there so far.

Bercow did not set a precedent for allowing Obama to speak there, so stop treating it as such...
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
I can't really recall Trump saying something overtly sexist or racist in his campaign or as president. Sure, in the past he's been pretty blatantly misogynistic, but I see no reason to believe he would be in any speaking position nowadays. He's a total douchebag and I hate what he's doing, but this declaration seems strange to me.

He's done loads.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/donald-trump-racist-examples_us_56d47177e4b03260bf777e83

The most memorable ones are describing all Mexicans as criminals and constantly questioning Obama's place of birth, a clear racist insult and pandering to the white racist vote.

He has very long form for this - decades ago in New York he paid for a campaign to convict and sentence to death some alleged rapists in Central Park who were black. They have all recently been released due to DNA evidence proving it was someone else. He still refuses to acknowledge his mistake.
Reply 18
Original post by MildredMalone
Sounds like Bercrow is a bit of a retard. Nothing Trump's has said politically is racist or sexist.

Actually, he kind of has said a lot of racist and sexist things...

“You know, it doesn’t really matter what (the media) write as long as you’ve got a young and beautiful piece of ass. But she’s got to be young and beautiful.”

“If Ivanka weren’t my daughter, perhaps I’d be dating her.”

“Can you imagine that, the face of our next president? I mean, she’s a woman, and I’m not supposed to say bad things, but really, folks, come on. Are we serious?”

“She was the winner and she gained a massive amount of weight, and it was real problem for us,”

And THE WALL.

NEED I SAY MORE?

p.s all of these quotes were 100%Trump and were all recorded.
(edited 7 years ago)
He has very long form for this - decades ago in New York he paid for a campaign to convict and sentence to death some alleged rapists in Central Park who were black. They have all recently been released due to DNA evidence proving it was someone else. He still refuses to acknowledge his mistake.

This can only be seen as racist if it could be proved he campaigned for it because they were black. Is there any evidence of that or are we going with ye olde FoS intuition?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending