The Student Room Group

Animal Dissection in Natural Sciences?

Does anybody know which modules within the Natural Sciences course require either animal dissection or experimentation? I am most interested in the biological route, e.g. first year: Biology of Cells, Evolution & Behaviour and Earth Sciences, but I am not willing to dissect or test on animals for ethical reasons.

Any replies would be greatly appreciated!
Reply 1
Paging @Reality Check to this thread :smile:
Thanks @jneill :smile:

@Elxna
Experiments using animal tissues are an integral part of Natural Sciences at Cambridge. At least in my day (which wasn't forever ago), Cambridge takes a relatively hard line on this, and considers that if you don't want to do this sort of thing, then you shouldn't be taking the course - there aren't 'opt outs' for personal reasons. That said, I don't remember animal dissection or experimentation in any of the papers you mention- however, there is a membrane electrophysiology experiment in the first year Physiology of Organisms which uses frogs legs.

I think maybe you need to think about whether the course is right for you given these caveats and that it is unlikely that you will escape all animal tissues for three years.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Elxna
Does anybody know which modules within the Natural Sciences course require either animal dissection or experimentation? I am most interested in the biological route, e.g. first year: Biology of Cells, Evolution & Behaviour and Earth Sciences, but I am not willing to dissect or test on animals for ethical reasons.

Any replies would be greatly appreciated!

In cells we did experiments on fruit flies. If you don't want to test anything on animals, maybe Bio NatSci isn't for you.
Reply 4
Original post by Reality Check
Thanks @jneill :smile:

PRSOM
Original post by alow
In cells we did experiments on fruit flies. If you don't want to test anything on animals, maybe Bio NatSci isn't for you.

Oops, there's me being mammal-centric again! :s-smilie: You're quite right, I'd forgotten about them.
Reply 6
Thanks so much for your replies. I figured that Physiology of Organisms was likely to use animals in some way or another. I'm still in Year 10 so have plenty of time left to research universities and their individual policies on animal dissection / experimentation, but I guess it's good to get an idea of which universities to focus on as they each have slightly different A-level subject requirements.
Original post by Elxna
Thanks so much for your replies. I figured that Physiology of Organisms was likely to use animals in some way or another. I'm still in Year 10 so have plenty of time left to research universities and their individual policies on animal dissection / experimentation, but I guess it's good to get an idea of which universities to focus on as they each have slightly different A-level subject requirements.

Yes, quite - you've got plenty of time. The only thing I would point out though is that animal experimentation and/or dissection really is a fundamental skill in a lot of courses and maybe it might be an idea to reconcile yourself to this when considering which course, rather than university, is best going to suit you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending