The Student Room Group

Speaker declares Trump too racist and sexist to speak in Westminster Hall

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fullofsurprises
Is that just that you don't like his politics, or generally?

He has to be better than Martin, no matter what you think of the former.

Martin wasn't impartial at all, and the way he called MPs at PMQs especially was a shocker. So after two Labour Speakers in a row, along comes John Bercow, the most unpopular MP in the Tory party - and is just as biased, but rather than because of his politics, it seems to be for some kind of attention-seeking. He just seems to want to draw attention to himself as much as possible.
Original post by Hydeman
This can only be seen as racist if it could be proved he campaigned for it because they were black. Is there any evidence of that or are we going with ye olde FoS intuition?

It's true that he didn't say "coz they're black", but it's obvious from the rhetoric what he meant.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/feb/17/central-park-five-donald-trump-jogger-rape-case-new-york

When you add it to all his other public actions and the stunning lack of diversity in his job picks (apart from the stereotypically attractive women he surrounds himself with - hardly evidence of feminist attitudes on his part), the evidence speaks for itself.
Wow. :eek4:

Speaker Bercow has declared Trump to be too sexist and racist to be permitted to speak to Parliament.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2017/feb/06/may-to-meet-netanyahu-ahead-of-brexit-debate-in-commons-live-updates

Take that and chew on it, Trump! :lol: :angry:

This must be a first for a very long time - a Speaker of the British Parliament denying speaking rights to the American President, due to his unsuitable conduct.

If it wasn't tragic, it would be funny.

It's all good and all but when you consider the type of thing US president have presided over, like coups in other countries etc, being sexist is hardly a reason to ban them :-/ Presidents like Obama could get away with so much awful stuff just because they are cool and are good at liberal spiel. But if Trump allows people to wake up at how crap the world is then it is something that can be used for positive effect but it isn't enough to just go back to how things were in 4 years (well unless the alternative is fascism :s-smilie:).

It will annoy him though which is good. He is so easily triggered.

I do kind of feel though that the best way to trigger him is to have him come on a visits but be not able to go anywhere because the roads are blocked with protesters :tongue:
I don't think he should be allowed to speak. The five people who have addressed the commons had all achieved many great things. Trump is still very early into his presidency and has not yet achieved anything of a high enough magnitude to deserve the privilege of addressing the House of Commons.
Reply 24
From now on, if Twitter goes down, Trump will immediately blame one or more of Mexico/China/Democratic Party/National Parks Service/City of Seattle/Federal Judiciary and nuke them immediately. Oh, he will check it first with Steve Bannon and Jared Kushner, just to get the sensible view.

I presume you are following @RoguePOTUSStaff - etc.
Original post by Ladbants
The five people who have addressed the commons had all achieved many great things..

Such as, for Obama?
Original post by jneill
I presume you are following @RoguePOTUSStaff - etc.

I've dipped in and out. I get a lot of email messages from people I used to work with in Washington and things like that and the guy I work for is very plugged in. It's a fun time, apart from the imminent threat to world stability and peace.
I think he should have stayed out of it. It is taking a political position and he should remain neutral. I'm normally a big fan of Bercow's but he has got this wrong.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly

I do kind of feel though that the best way to trigger him is to have him come on a visits but be not able to go anywhere because the roads are blocked with protesters :tongue:

It would be major if the motorcade couldn't reach his golf course or something like that. :yep:

I would kind of like for him to be speaking at Westminster Hall and be roundly booed. :teehee: However, there's nothing really to stop the Speaker from saying he won't have him.
Original post by Sabertooth
Such as, for Obama?

He's the first African American ever to be President of the world's most powerful nation.
He's the first African American ever to be President of the world's most powerful nation.

And that is, in your opinion, "achieving a great many things"?

:teehee:
It would be major if the motorcade couldn't reach his golf course or something like that. :yep:

I would kind of like for him to be speaking at Westminster Hall and be roundly booed. :teehee: However, there's nothing really to stop the Speaker from saying he won't have him.

I don't think he would be roundly booed. The majority of the Conservatives probably would treat him with some respect and stay silent.
And that is, in your opinion, "achieving a great many things"?

:teehee:

Yes, in my opinion
Yes, in my opinion

Trump is the oldest man ever elected president. Not a "great feat"? :tongue:
Good.

Poor old Trump must be at a loss as to who to lambast on Twitter first: Bercow or the Judges striking down his muslim ban.
Ooooo, a new person has joined the "I want you to feel bad if you disagree with my opinion" polling options club.
Reply 36
Trump's opinion of Bercow:
[video]https://video.twimg.com/tweet_video/C4AMxVfWAAAdT09.mp4[/video]
(edited 7 years ago)
Wow. :eek4:

Speaker Bercow has declared Trump to be too sexist and racist to be permitted to speak to Parliament.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2017/feb/06/may-to-meet-netanyahu-ahead-of-brexit-debate-in-commons-live-updates

Take that and chew on it, Trump! :lol: :angry:

This must be a first for a very long time - a Speaker of the British Parliament denying speaking rights to the American President, due to his unsuitable conduct.

If it wasn't tragic, it would be funny.

Agreed - a State Visit does not mean the U.S. President has to address both Houses of Parliament. Would very much like him not to.

That said I don't think you're going to have much response on this poll - I would have voted but the poll is far too biased.
Trump is the oldest man ever elected president. Not a "great feat"? :tongue:

No I don't think so.
An invitation to speak to the House of Commons in Westminster Hall should be a very rare event. Perhaps Nelson Mandela was deserving of this honour, not sure many others have been.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending