The Student Room Group

Accounting work experience for IB

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Samendra
so how can u possibly know weather or not it is useful or not, did u get into any SWs?

This is a public forum so if you wanted advice from IBers you should have at least put that in your title. Besides, there aren't many here because they're working.

I go to LSE and ended up with 3 SWs and hopefully I get a couple more. I dont need validation unlike so many here on this forum, this isnt a piss contest, take my advice or leave it.
Original post by STEMisSuperior.
Do you have a point to make or are you just showing off and hoping that gets you validation?

No, I'm telling you if you don't know, don't advise.
Original post by natninja
No, I'm telling you if you don't know, don't advise.

I do know.
I do know.

Either way, a year in an accounting firm over your gap year would give you an edge when demonstrating interest in a career in finance even if it's not a brand name firm. I think we can agree on that?
Reply 24
Im a first year so no.

:smile:

Chill out, if you get this grumpy on a forum what do you think you'll be like when you're pulling those 80 hour weeks?
Either way, a year in an accounting firm over your gap year would give you an edge when demonstrating interest in a career in finance even if it's not a brand name firm. I think we can agree on that?

That's not the point i'm trying to make though. ANY finance work experience can be used as leverage for building a stronger CV if you write about it correctly. There are better opportunities out there for people taking a gap year and are interested in IB.
Original post by M1011
:smile:

Chill out, if you get this grumpy on a forum what do you think you'll be like when you're pulling those 80 hour weeks?

I'm not grumpy but you seem intimidated, dont be so insecure :smile:
That's not the point i'm trying to make though. ANY finance work experience can be used as leverage for building a stronger CV if you write about it correctly. There are better opportunities out there for people taking a gap year and are interested in IB.

I'm merely disputing your statement about a week or two on the buyside being more useful (btw it's far harder to go from buyside to sell side than the other way unless going into ER as you have to convince people you want to work more hours for less pay).
Reply 28
I'm not grumpy but you seem intimidated, dont be so insecure :smile:

OK buddy :thumbsup:
I'm merely disputing your statement about a week or two on the buyside being more useful (btw it's far harder to go from buyside to sell side than the other way unless going into ER as you have to convince people you want to work more hours for less pay).

Yes but that is because I didn't take a gap year. Work experience is nothing more than adding brand name to your CV as well as talking about transferable skills.

People who do take gap years and apply for SWs will have far more useful and eye catching work experience such as a year at a hedge fund or private equity. Theres even scandinavians who have had part time jobs with high finance firms. Accounting at an unknown firm doesnt even compare and it begs the question as to whether or not its a good idea taking a gap year in the first place purely for the purpose of Work experience for IB.
Yes but that is because I didn't take a gap year. Work experience is nothing more than adding brand name to your CV as well as talking about transferable skills.

People who do take gap years and apply for SWs will have far more useful and eye catching work experience such as a year at a hedge fund or private equity. Theres even scandinavians who have had part time jobs with high finance firms. Accounting at an unknown firm doesnt even compare and it begs the question as to whether or not its a good idea taking a gap year in the first place purely for the purpose of Work experience for IB.

well it is decently paid so im saving for uni at the same time
well it is decently paid so im saving for uni at the same time

Don't expect it to give you a massive advantage for IB. If IB is what you're looking to go into, then you're better off searching for more prestigious niche opportunities that may not pay as well. That's all im going to say here because you're clearly not bothered to hear arguments against it.
Don't expect it to give you a massive advantage for IB. If IB is what you're looking to go into, then you're better off searching for more prestigious niche opportunities that may not pay as well. That's all im going to say here because you're clearly not bothered to hear arguments against it.

Im ready to hear arguments against it, i just dont see how boutiques are willing to take post a level students on
Im ready to hear arguments against it, i just dont see how boutiques are willing to take post a level students on

That'd be possible if you know an MD within a BB. Perhaps contacting one through linkedin but that's very difficult but I know someone who's done it.

At a level it's tough but you can cold email or cold call boutique firms and you can try your luck. Small firms with a dozen board members or so do discuss this kind of thing in meetings sometimes. London is literally the global headquarters of finance and there are some real hidden gems if you're willing to look.

if you're eligible try looking into programmes such as brokerage citylink who offer IB work experience. otherwise, at this stage, any experience will be good experience, especially if you can learn from it and pick up skills and something to talk about in interviews.. noone expects you to have significant IB/Buy-side experience pre-uni. the fact that you have the opportunity to gain experience is great, as many people struggle.
I'm not even in uni yet but looking at it from an employers point of view, they may not view someone who did a gap year at a small/unknown accounting form greatly, especially as its not even that relevant? Would you not be better off doing like summer work experience at an accountant instead? Then doing SW's at first year etc? Just my opinion..
Don't bother, you can get much better opportunities after first year and before summer apps once you get involved at uni.

It'd be a huge waste if you dont convert the SW even if it is still slightly useful.

What are all these opportunities you get as a first year student over the summer? pretty much just HSBC/BofE unless your dad has some connections.
Original post by Quiet_Male
What are all these opportunities you get as a first year student over the summer? pretty much just HSBC/BofE unless your dad has some connections.

It's making use of connections that you get at uni and landing yourself some form of internship/experience. It's difficult and for most people it will be spring weeks that add to their CV but cold calling and emailing works. Smaller finance firms do have opportunities that aren't advertised.
Reply 38
The attitude that makes you think an accountancy work exp at a firm with no brand value at all is going to give you a massive advantage in IB?
People who take gap years off for IB will have landed jobs at PE firms, asset management firms etc etc. I did a week at an asset management firm and a venture capital firm and that would probably be more useful than a year in accounting.

It's good to be hopeful but the right mindset is to be realistic and self critical.

Your VC and AM jobs, were they thorough connections you knew or had to make? As opportunities like that seem pretty non-existent (for someone on a gap year).
Original post by Nirm
Your VC and AM jobs, were they thorough connections you knew or had to make? As opportunities like that seem pretty non-existent (for someone on a gap year).

Nope not at all. It's all about searching and spending like a good couple of hours on sending emails and phoning people. But you're really looking at small companies with a dozen employees and have a unique sell point.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending